The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Thebrewcrew

2019 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

Sounds like size is the only knock against him.. with the big run on goalies I'm surprised he lasted this long, unless I'm totally missing something

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/nhl-draft-prospect-dustin-wolf-could-be-carter-hart-2-0-in-more-ways-than-one

wow ok, I REALLY like this Pick!

He is the undisputed best goalie in the WHL right now, irregardless of age.     And, he's NOT small.  I often wonder what would happen if more 6 foot goalies were just given a chance.    

Again, the Flames are going for the hail-mary.   He'll either be one of the top goalies in the NHL, or never make it at all.      And that is exactly what you should do with your picks.   There is zero point to "safe bets", you can get those in the free agent market all day long.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

wow ok, I REALLY like this Pick!

He is the undisputed best goalie in the WHL right now, irregardless of age.     And, he's NOT small.  I often wonder what would happen if more 6 foot goalies were just given a chance.    

Again, the Flames are going for the hail-mary.   He'll either be one of the top goalies in the NHL, or never make it at all.      And that is exactly what you should do with your picks.   There is zero point to "safe bets", you can get those in the free agent market all day long.

Better numbers than MacDonald in the Q when we drafted him.

And that was what, a 2nd rounder?

I wouldn't even say this is a hail mary.

Late selection.

Passed over.

Good junior numbers.

Easy to keep eyes on in Everett.  

28 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Sounds like size is the only knock against him.. with the big run on goalies I'm surprised he lasted this long, unless I'm totally missing something

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/nhl-draft-prospect-dustin-wolf-could-be-carter-hart-2-0-in-more-ways-than-one

Size became an issue when goalie equipment got downsized and regulated.  The only way to cover more net was to be bigger. 

That said, Mrazek and Binnington are 6'-1".  Wolf could still grow an inch by the time he's 23/24.  Good pick.  Low risk high reward.

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Size became an issue when goalie equipment got downsized and regulated.  The only way to cover more net was to be bigger. 

That said, Mrazek and Binnington are 6'-1".  Wolf could still grow an inch by the time he's 23/24.  Good pick.  Low risk high reward.

How times change .. 

I always think back to Roman Turek

nickname "Large"

his pads , jersey ,and all equipment required special league approval, due to them having to be way over "regulation "

He was THAT big ..

He was 6'4.. basically average now 

2 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

How times change .. 

I always think back to Roman Turek

nickname "Large"

his pads , jersey ,and all equipment required special league approval, due to them having to be way over "regulation "

He was THAT big ..

He was 6'4.. basically average now 

Why do goalies even need to develop so long?

7 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Why do goalies even need to develop so long?

I'm not even sure that they always do.     I mean, there are tonnes of reasons why they do.  

but for instance Dustin Wolf....what more does he have to acheive as the WHL's best goalie?    Many beneath him will graduate to the AHL next year.

Many far beneath him.

Is there a logic behind it or just tradition?     Sure, we could hope he wins the championship in the WHL next year.  That's really all I can think of.

But what happens if they put him in camp, and he blows our other AHL goalies out of the water?  Then what?

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

I'm not even sure that they always do.     I mean, there are tonnes of reasons why they do.  

but for instance Dustin Wolf....what more does he have to acheive as the WHL's best goalie?    Many beneath him will graduate to the AHL next year.

Many far beneath him.

Is there a logic behind it or just tradition?     Sure, we could hope he wins the championship in the WHL next year.  That's really all I can think of.

But what happens if they put him in camp, and he blows our other AHL goalies out of the water?  Then what?

This is where I think the junior system is flawed 

Unless they sign him right to the big team, Flames can't get their hands on him for what, 2 more years? His program, his conditioning and development stays in the hands of his junior team.

Teams should be allowed to put them right into the A if they feel they are ready

Junior teams are allowed overage spots..NHL teams should be allowed a limited number of "underage" spots 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

This is where I think the junior system is flawed 

Unless they sign him right to the big team, Flames can't get their hands on him for what, 2 more years? His program, his conditioning and development stays in the hands of his junior team.

Teams should be allowed to put them right into the A if they feel they are ready

Junior teams are allowed overage spots..NHL teams should be allowed a limited number of "underage" spots 

Entirely agree.    

Philosophy aside though, this is probably for the best as we are truly aweful at developing these goalies.  I'd like nothing more than some wiz-bang prospects who spends two years in the WHL and jumps directly into the NHL.  And it might be the only way we ever pull it off.

With only 5 picks, I feel that the Flames did a decent job in this draft.

I expect that all of them are at least 3 – 4 years away from the NHL, but they all could become valuable assets.

26. Jakob Pelletier (LW/C/RW)– I like what I’m hearing about his drive, energy, and skill.  My only concern is his size. If he bulks up a bit, I could see him in a similar vein as Brendan Gallager.

88. Ilya Nikolaev (C) – It sounds like he is a very good N/S skater who is defensively responsible. Even if his lateral skating and offensive consistency don’t improve much, I think that he will still become a good NHL middle 6 defensive forward.

116. Lucas Feuk (LW) – Good but not great skater with very good offensive instincts and skills. IMO, he will have to improve his defensive game to make it in the NHL.

150. Josh Nodler (C) – Elite play-maker with a rocket of a shot, he’ll be playing in the excellent Michigan State program.

214. Dustin Wolf (G) – Though small compared to many current NHL goalies, he seems to have all the skills need to become an NHL starter. He could be the Flames “steal” of the draft.

3 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

With only 5 picks, I feel that the Flames did a decent job in this draft.

I expect that all of them are at least 3 – 4 years away from the NHL, but they all could become valuable assets.

26. Jakob Pelletier (LW/C/RW)– I like what I’m hearing about his drive, energy, and skill.  My only concern is his size. If he bulks up a bit, I could see him in a similar vein as Brendan Gallager.

88. Ilya Nikolaev (C) – It sounds like he is a very good N/S skater who is defensively responsible. Even if his lateral skating and offensive consistency don’t improve much, I think that he will still become a good NHL middle 6 defensive forward.

116. Lucas Feuk (LW) – Good but not great skater with very good offensive instincts and skills. IMO, he will have to improve his defensive game to make it in the NHL.

150. Josh Nodler (C) – Elite play-maker with a rocket of a shot, he’ll be playing in the excellent Michigan State program.

214. Dustin Wolf (G) – Though small compared to many current NHL goalies, he seems to have all the skills need to become an NHL starter. He could be the Flames “steal” of the draft.

As decent assessment as any at this stage.    All in all I give them a high rating on their picks this draft.

But, simple concern....that they thought 5 picks was enough, worries me.  that they didn't replace the 2nd rounder.

They went more for skill and less for size.  Great!  I'm all for it.  At the draft.  But not in the playoffs.   So, great job here, but I worry that they chose to learn nothing from this post-season and hope I'm wrong.

45 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

As decent assessment as any at this stage.    All in all I give them a high rating on their picks this draft.

But, simple concern....that they thought 5 picks was enough, worries me.  that they didn't replace the 2nd rounder.

They went more for skill and less for size.  Great!  I'm all for it.  At the draft.  But not in the playoffs.   So, great job here, but I worry that they chose to learn nothing from this post-season and hope I'm wrong.

I feel like this is what we see now and what we will see in that 3-4 years. This is the team’s vision.

So for the second year in a row we did not select any d-men. Haven't picked one since Valimaki in the 2017 first round.

Is this deliberate or are we genuinely picking BPA and they just all happen to be forwards?

Just seems really unusual to me. 

• Like 1

Seems a pretty solid selection for all 5 guys.  No-one to come and play in September but a couple of picks could be real steals.

With Wolf - numbers are good but he has backing up a good Everett team.   6.1 maybe small  but still suprised he fell as far as he did yet Mads Sogaard went at number 37.

Be interesting to see how he pans out.

31 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

Seems a pretty solid selection for all 5 guys.  No-one to come and play in September but a couple of picks could be real steals.

With Wolf - numbers are good but he has backing up a good Everett team.   6.1 maybe small  but still suprised he fell as far as he did yet Mads Sogaard went at number 37.

Be interesting to see how he pans out.

Rinne was a back up his whole Junior career. Someone asked one of his junior coaches who else from the team and he said nobody knows about him, he is the real deal even though a back up. 

Hopefully we have one of those. 

15 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I see your thought process on the size issue but (no pun intended here) a big deal...it wasn’t so much size but compete level couldn’t get going just like the first 10-15 games of the season, took this team time to get rolling and we seen it again after the all star break too, so we really shouldn’t be surprise that they were cold going in the playoffs, with all the days off and team changes the last weeks or so heading in. I believe I said that was their only issue going in to it and I was right on, not that I want to be.

see I think they actually addressed this issue a bit with Peltier (sp) he brings this just like Chucky but you need more then one of those type on a team so this definitely helps the competition drive on the team, that’s what we lacked and still do but at least they have seen that now...I liken the current team to a pace team for a marathon rather then a sprint team...in hockey it needs to be a blend (proper balance) or if you like we need to cross train so to speak lol!  

Keep in mind Chi with Kane and Towes both small and skilled but different from then Johnny’s and Sean’s in the sense they have a tremendously high complete level Chunky has this so maybe another one or two like that and we could be well off? 

3 hours ago, MP5029 said:

I see your thought process on the size issue but (no pun intended here) a big deal...it wasn’t so much size but compete level couldn’t get going just like the first 10-15 games of the season, took this team time to get rolling and we seen it again after the all star break too, so we really shouldn’t be surprise that they were cold going in the playoffs, with all the days off and team changes the last weeks or so heading in. I believe I said that was their only issue going in to it and I was right on, not that I want to be.

see I think they actually addressed this issue a bit with Peltier (sp) he brings this just like Chucky but you need more then one of those type on a team so this definitely helps the competition drive on the team, that’s what we lacked and still do but at least they have seen that now...I liken the current team to a pace team for a marathon rather then a sprint team...in hockey it needs to be a blend (proper balance) or if you like we need to cross train so to speak lol!  

Keep in mind Chi with Kane and Towes both small and skilled but different from then Johnny’s and Sean’s in the sense they have a tremendously high complete level Chunky has this so maybe another one or two like that and we could be well off? 

You think Toews at 6'2 and 200lbs is a small forward ? Not to mention he has one of the highest compete levels in the game.

6. Calgary Flames — Jakob Pelletier, LW, Moncton (QMJHL)

Flames take hard-nosed winger Jakob Pelletier from the QMJHL’s Moncton Wildcats. Much like Podkolzin, Pelletier is a nightmare to play against and it as opportunistic as they come. He hounds the puck relentlessly but also knows how to settle things down to execute set plays off the turnover. A student of the game, Pelletier can fill a variety of roles and still reveal elite puck skills.

Welcome to the team Jakob like what was written about you here.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2019 at 4:23 PM, jjgallow said:

Many far beneath him.

well he is only 18, so can't play in AHL. The Flames will need to find another spot for him to play.

1 hour ago, DirtyDeeds said:

well he is only 18, so can't play in AHL. The Flames will need to find another spot for him to play.

Wouldn't he just stay in the W? I think he could spend a couple seasons yet.

I just wanted to chime in more on the Pelletier pick versus a Lavoie, Suzuki or Kaliyev (especially as 2 of those 3 are now on divisional rivals).

I'll preface by saying that I have no crystal ball here. I sit here right now saying that Pelletier is a good pick compared to what was available but the reality is he isn't a finished product and a lot of that will come down to his development and coaching. As a neutral observer, I have no input over that development process which will be 90% of what he'll turn out to be so whether it works out or not isn't in my hands, but unfortunately in 5-10 years when people look back on this pick they won't remember where he is right now, but where he is at that point in time, and evaluate the pick on that merit alone which isn't entirely fair.

Pelletier is the right pick to me because while he isn't a diamond just yet, he has had the pedigree and the attitude to develop from day 1 of his season. He was the 3rd pick in the QMJHL draft in a very strong class for that league, especially at the top end (for comparison's sake, Alexis Lafreniere who will be the 1st pick in 2020 was the top pick in 2017, and fellow 2019 first rounder Samuel Poulin was number 2. Those were the guys he was competing against). But he's also a workhorse and I haven't heard anything less than him being a character player and the heartbeat of his team, in addition to the already concurrent offensive skillset.

Does he need time? Yes. I don't think he'll be in the show for at least 2 years (which is now a fairly long time for a first rounder in a cap world where ELCs are worth their weight in gold). Is he a guaranteed star or bluechip prospect? No. He went 26th for a reason, namely a lack of strength and polish in his all-around game. And while I sit here saying he's a good player, I think he's not necessarily an exceptional talent and the odds of him becoming a 1st line player are slim based on that. But I do know he'll work his butt off and if he fails it's more likely due to systemic reasons from the team and his overall situation than from lack of effort, and if I'm a GM with faith in his development team then I'd absolutely shoot my shot for a guy like Pelletier.

Lavoie in particular was constantly compared to Pelletier because they played in the same league against the same teams and had a similar pedigree. For me, it's striking because in many ways he's the exact opposite stylistically. He's got all the tools to succeed with his length and scoring ability, although he needs to work on the skating. But he was awful without the puck for 2/3rds of the season and the conversations around him were always concerning his effort and engagement both on and off the ice.

I'm not here trying to bash Lavoie but he dropped because of those issues and it's hard to gloss over those when talking about him as a prospect; despite a killer playoff run he regressed in the finals and so when evaluating him the question is this: can you be the organization to get the most out of him and push him to be what he can be? He's Brandon Saad-esque and like Brandon Saad, IMO he needs specific situations and specific external stimulation in order to be pushed into fulfilling his potential, and the same goes for Kaliyev and Suzuki. There are 2 situations where they'd have the highest chance of becoming that top 6 forward: 1. Join a team with one or more of the top 10 players in the game, a team where they know what real ability looks like, and where the vets wouldn't take guff from a kid who's good but wouldn't put in the effort to get there. 2. Join a team that's already won the Cup and has multiple vets who have already reached the peak, who know what it takes to win, and wouldn't take guff from a babyfaced prospect who doesn't put in the same effort.

There's a commonality there: experienced vets and a strong leadership group that even the most braindead kid would recognize and respect. Guys who don't need you to win, know that and make sure you know that, and make sure that if you want minutes and respect you would have to earn it through your play. Saad was drafted to Chicago in 2011 after they had won the Cup already and had arguably 3 top 10 players in Kane, Toews and Keith on the roster as holdovers. He also dropped to the 2nd after being highly ranked all year, adding more motivation on top of being put in a position to succeed. There's a few teams that have the prerequisite veteran and leadership presence in the league: Pittsburgh, Chicago, Boston, LA, and San Jose all strike me as teams that have the best chance of turning water into wine. All of them have great vets and/or at least one player that is considered to be in the elite of the elite level of players, like a Crosby, Bergeron, or Kane. A couple more teams have elite-talent players, top 10 in the league or at least debateable, and deep rosters to go with that: Tampa Bay, Washington, St. Louis Colorado, and Winnipeg have players you could call the best and/or the depth and support to ensure that players have to beat out a high-caliber talent to earn minutes (and the Caps and Blues are the most ecent champs, which always helps).

The Flames are not quite either of those teams. They definitely haven't gotten over the hump or have any players with household names. Gio and Gaudreau are the closest but Gio is getting up there in age by the time anybody from this draft is interacting with him on the active roster and Gaudreau is an offensive wunderkind but probably not the kind of player to emulate if you're a young player. So for this organization, the level of risk for taking on players with work ethic or character problems is higher than if they were respected around the league or the wider NHL fanbase to the level of a Boston or Pittsburgh. That's gotta be taken into consideration if you're Brad Treliving or the scouts.

Lavoie and Kaliyev have now had the indignation of dropping to day 2. If there's any motivating factor, that's it right there, and that's just the start of a long road to becoming NHL players. They wouldn't get that same motivation at 26 to the Flames. Lavoie doesn't need to be a lead dog on the Oilers and they do have McDavid and Draisaitl, so there's a chance they hit a homerun there (and I think it would be more likely with the Oilers after being drafted in the 2nd than with the Flames in the 1st). Same with Kaliyev/Suzuki. But there's legitimate concerns for me around all of them and it is more likely for all of them to disappoint in their career than for even 1 to become a top 6 forward just based on the odds and the history of talented guys with motor concerns. All 3 are guys I would say don't quite have the internal motivational skill to push themselves to be great on their own (nothing necessarily wrong with that, 95% of people are in the same boat) and need external motivators to give them that edge. Feeling slighted or cheated is one possible motivator, being pushed by the peers around you is another.

Even if Pelletier busts and one of the above become a top 6 guy, I still would consider Pelletier the justifiable pick. Situations change and what works somewhere else might not work here and vice-versa. I know people are scared he's the next Poirier and I can't sit here and say he won't be (although again, Pelletier had the pedigree long before he played juniors as a potential top prospect compared to Emile), but at the very least I think that he has the mental fortitude and the prerequisite talent to make it with the support the Flames can offer more than the other 3.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Crzydrvr said:

I just wanted to chime in more on the Pelletier pick versus a Lavoie, Suzuki or Kaliyev (especially as 2 of those 3 are now on divisional rivals).

I'll preface by saying that I have no crystal ball here. I sit here right now saying that Pelletier is a good pick compared to what was available but the reality is he isn't a finished product and a lot of that will come down to his development and coaching. As a neutral observer, I have no input over that development process which will be 90% of what he'll turn out to be so whether it works out or not isn't in my hands, but unfortunately in 5-10 years when people look back on this pick they won't remember where he is right now, but where he is at that point in time, and evaluate the pick on that merit alone which isn't entirely fair.

Pelletier is the right pick to me because while he isn't a diamond just yet, he has had the pedigree and the attitude to develop from day 1 of his season. He was the 3rd pick in the QMJHL draft in a very strong class for that league, especially at the top end (for comparison's sake, Alexis Lafreniere who will be the 1st pick in 2020 was the top pick in 2017, and fellow 2019 first rounder Samuel Poulin was number 2. Those were the guys he was competing against). But he's also a workhorse and I haven't heard anything less than him being a character player and the heartbeat of his team, in addition to the already concurrent offensive skillset.

Does he need time? Yes. I don't think he'll be in the show for at least 2 years (which is now a fairly long time for a first rounder in a cap world where ELCs are worth their weight in gold). Is he a guaranteed star or bluechip prospect? No. He went 26th for a reason, namely a lack of strength and polish in his all-around game. And while I sit here saying he's a good player, I think he's not necessarily an exceptional talent and the odds of him becoming a 1st line player are slim based on that. But I do know he'll work his butt off and if he fails it's more likely due to systemic reasons from the team and his overall situation than from lack of effort, and if I'm a GM with faith in his development team then I'd absolutely shoot my shot for a guy like Pelletier.

Lavoie in particular was constantly compared to Pelletier because they played in the same league against the same teams and had a similar pedigree. For me, it's striking because in many ways he's the exact opposite stylistically. He's got all the tools to succeed with his length and scoring ability, although he needs to work on the skating. But he was awful without the puck for 2/3rds of the season and the conversations around him were always concerning his effort and engagement both on and off the ice.

I'm not here trying to bash Lavoie but he dropped because of those issues and it's hard to gloss over those when talking about him as a prospect; despite a killer playoff run he regressed in the finals and so when evaluating him the question is this: can you be the organization to get the most out of him and push him to be what he can be? He's Brandon Saad-esque and like Brandon Saad, IMO he needs specific situations and specific external stimulation in order to be pushed into fulfilling his potential, and the same goes for Kaliyev and Suzuki. There are 2 situations where they'd have the highest chance of becoming that top 6 forward: 1. Join a team with one or more of the top 10 players in the game, a team where they know what real ability looks like, and where the vets wouldn't take guff from a kid who's good but wouldn't put in the effort to get there. 2. Join a team that's already won the Cup and has multiple vets who have already reached the peak, who know what it takes to win, and wouldn't take guff from a babyfaced prospect who doesn't put in the same effort.

There's a commonality there: experienced vets and a strong leadership group that even the most braindead kid would recognize and respect. Guys who don't need you to win, know that and make sure you know that, and make sure that if you want minutes and respect you would have to earn it through your play. Saad was drafted to Chicago in 2011 after they had won the Cup already and had arguably 3 top 10 players in Kane, Toews and Keith on the roster as holdovers. He also dropped to the 2nd after being highly ranked all year, adding more motivation on top of being put in a position to succeed. There's a few teams that have the prerequisite veteran and leadership presence in the league: Pittsburgh, Chicago, Boston, LA, and San Jose all strike me as teams that have the best chance of turning water into wine. All of them have great vets and/or at least one player that is considered to be in the elite of the elite level of players, like a Crosby, Bergeron, or Kane. A couple more teams have elite-talent players, top 10 in the league or at least debateable, and deep rosters to go with that: Tampa Bay, Washington, St. Louis Colorado, and Winnipeg have players you could call the best and/or the depth and support to ensure that players have to beat out a high-caliber talent to earn minutes (and the Caps and Blues are the most ecent champs, which always helps).

The Flames are not quite either of those teams. They definitely haven't gotten over the hump or have any players with household names. Gio and Gaudreau are the closest but Gio is getting up there in age by the time anybody from this draft is interacting with him on the active roster and Gaudreau is an offensive wunderkind but probably not the kind of player to emulate if you're a young player. So for this organization, the level of risk for taking on players with work ethic or character problems is higher than if they were respected around the league or the wider NHL fanbase to the level of a Boston or Pittsburgh. That's gotta be taken into consideration if you're Brad Treliving or the scouts.

Lavoie and Kaliyev have now had the indignation of dropping to day 2. If there's any motivating factor, that's it right there, and that's just the start of a long road to becoming NHL players. They wouldn't get that same motivation at 26 to the Flames. Lavoie doesn't need to be a lead dog on the Oilers and they do have McDavid and Draisaitl, so there's a chance they hit a homerun there (and I think it would be more likely with the Oilers after being drafted in the 2nd than with the Flames in the 1st). Same with Kaliyev/Suzuki. But there's legitimate concerns for me around all of them and it is more likely for all of them to disappoint in their career than for even 1 to become a top 6 forward just based on the odds and the history of talented guys with motor concerns. All 3 are guys I would say don't quite have the internal motivational skill to push themselves to be great on their own (nothing necessarily wrong with that, 95% of people are in the same boat) and need external motivators to give them that edge. Feeling slighted or cheated is one possible motivator, being pushed by the peers around you is another.

Even if Pelletier busts and one of the above become a top 6 guy, I still would consider Pelletier the justifiable pick. Situations change and what works somewhere else might not work here and vice-versa. I know people are scared he's the next Poirier and I can't sit here and say he won't be (although again, Pelletier had the pedigree long before he played juniors as a potential top prospect compared to Emile), but at the very least I think that he has the mental fortitude and the prerequisite talent to make it with the support the Flames can offer more than the other 3.

Only time will tell and IMO our last 2 drafts have been lacklustre and not very exciting on selected players. Treliving has some serious wheeling and dealing to do in order for the main team to be much better next season.

• Like 1

Not sure why the negative comments around Poirier and people using him as a flop or negative example. There is no need to compare him to any picks or prospects.

As I recall, Poirier's fall had nothing at all to do with talent or lack thereof. His fall from grace was the same as many 18-22 year olds and the only difference was being in the limelight of being and NHL draft pick. Poirier fell due to alcohol (If I remember correctly) and wasn't able to regain his form. He became addicted and it affected his on ice and off ice life causing his ultimate lack of re-signing with the Flames. I seem to recall McGrattan sat down with him a few times to help him out with the addiction, but he had already suffered too much detriment to return to form.

People rag on guys like Krahn, who fell to knee injuries which as a goalie really sucks. He had the skills but couldn't stay healthy and that is not on the coaching or scouts, it is bad luck. Remember that stars like Lindros had there careers cut short by injury. 

There are many reasons why certain prospects never make the NHL roster. Picking on guys who struggled with things like addiction and / or injury says nothing really.

From what I hear about Pelletier, I am excited to see what he brings. It sounds like he uses his lack of size as motivation to play harder and to try and play a bigger game. The biggest knock to me in that case is potential for injury and a shortened career. That said, it is an exciting style to watch. By all accounts, the team drafted with a heavy reliance on compete level by players. The issue in the playoffs seemed to be that players did not bring the compete, so the team felt they should draft the players with the biggest motors, not necessarily the biggest body or the highest skill. They wanted players who would psh themselves to be the best, not someone who needs to be pushed.

I would rather watch a team that leaves everything on the ice and loses close games than a team who barely tries and still wins.

11 hours ago, GM_3300 said:

Only time will tell and IMO our last 2 drafts have been lacklustre and not very exciting on selected players. Treliving has some serious wheeling and dealing to do in order for the main team to be much better next season.

Do you mean better than 2nd in NHL scoring and 2nd overall in the league?

I'm not sure what you were expecting last year with the first picks starting in the 4th round.

This year one pick inside the top 87.

I get you don;t like the 1st rounder.  Everyone has their opinion.  Doesn;t mean they were bad picks before they even turn pro.

I thought the Flames had an excellent draft and continue to draft very well under Treliving. Would always be nice to have more picks but there isn't a pick they made that I don't like. Keep swinging on skill. Obviously there are downsides to the players(always is later in drafts) but to get a player who led the US in scoring at the Ivan Hlinka in the 5th round and then get a goalie who led the league in the 7th round is some awesome work. 

And other than playing in the same league, there are very few similarities between Porier and Pelletier. I think their skill sets are very different and Pelletier was and is the significantly better prospect. I really like the pick and honestly once guys like Tomasino and McMichael were gone I felt all the next group was the same so your are splitting hairs a bit to argue I think. Brayden Tracey would have been my guy but I'm happy with Pelletier too and he logic of taking the most competitive guy of that group is pretty hard to argue against too.