Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Thebrewcrew

2019 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, The_People1 said:

 

Interesting, sometimes ISS is more accurate as to where players get taken.  I find NHLCS to be political.  Players don't climb and fall as much as they should as a season progresses.

 

What about mock draft sites. Are u familiar?  Are they useful for getting a consensus on which prospects are better?

 

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

 

https://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2019/

 

I don't put much stock in either. I really don't like that the one site has us taking Leason at 26th. Leason doesn't have much of a ceiling. I think he will play in the NHL, but probably as a bottom 6 winger. I would rather swing for top 6 or top 4 skill in the 1st round.

 

Craig Button has us taking Moritz Seider in his latest mock draft. I don't put much stock in his opinions as far as trades, but I think he sees prospects very similarly to Tod Button.

 

https://www.tsn.ca/podkolzin-plummets-in-tsn-hockey-s-mock-draft-3-0-1.1296254

 

Another website I like is futureconsiderations.ca. They have Nils Hoglander as the 26th ranked prospect, which is a player I really like at 26. He has skill, skates well and has a very high compete level. He reminds me of Viktor Arvidsson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Comes down to what you want though. Thomson is a more offensive d and Korczak projects as more of a defensive d

No need to debate this, we can trade our 26th pick for picks 36 and 37 ( carolina ) then pick both Thomson and Korczak :)  problem solved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2019 at 11:28 AM, JTech780 said:

They have Nils Hoglander as the 26th ranked prospect, which is a player I really like at 26. He has skill, skates well and has a very high compete level. He reminds me of Viktor Arvidsson.

 

I do like Hoglander and he'd be a guy I'd look at for sure, but I honestly don't think he makes it to 26.

 

If I had a say, I would be gunning hard for a high-reward forward to drop to us. If any of Hoglander, Newhook, Tomasino, Nikolayev or Suzuki fall that far it'd be hard to pass up one of them even with their individual warts. Of course things change quickly and if a similarly high-potential D drops like York or Soderstrom falls as well then I'd be hard-pressed to pass one up (BPA above all else), but there's enough open-endedness with the guys from 10-30 that I think at least one of those forwards is available.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Crzydrvr said:

 

I do like Hoglander and he'd be a guy I'd look at for sure, but I honestly don't think he makes it to 26.

 

If I had a say, I would be gunning hard for a high-reward forward to drop to us. If any of Hoglander, Newhook, Tomasino, Nikolayev or Suzuki fall that far it'd be hard to pass up one of them even with their individual warts. Of course things change quickly and if a similarly high-potential D drops like York or Soderstrom falls as well then I'd be hard-pressed to pass one up (BPA above all else), but there's enough open-endedness with the guys from 10-30 that I think at least one of those forwards is available.

 

There seems to be some guys with some high end skill but lacking in size around our pick, whether it be Hoglander or Pelletier, or Brink.

 

One guy I haven't been able to get a good read on is Arthur Kaliyev. What are your thoughts on him. He put up very good numbers on a team that doesn't have a ton of high end talent. The book on him is that he is an elite goal scorer, but there maybe work ethic issues there. I have seen him ranked from 12-28. We need to target high end compete players, but it is hard to pass up high end goal scoring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading through The Hockey News draft preview, totally forgot Bobby Brink played on Sioux City with Pospisil this season. The reports on him from the Hockey News is that Brink was far-and-away the driver on that line with Pospisil. Goes without saying, but the Flames will know him well. Put up similar numbers to Connor and Boeser in their USHL draft years. Could be worth a look

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JTech780 said:

 

There seems to be some guys with some high end skill but lacking in size around our pick, whether it be Hoglander or Pelletier, or Brink.

 

One guy I haven't been able to get a good read on is Arthur Kaliyev. What are your thoughts on him. He put up very good numbers on a team that doesn't have a ton of high end talent. The book on him is that he is an elite goal scorer, but there maybe work ethic issues there. I have seen him ranked from 12-28. We need to target high end compete players, but it is hard to pass up high end goal scoring.

 

Not a fan. I think he's a very junior-esque player, he is a talented goal scorer with great hands but his skating isn't that close to elite, his spacing defensively is off, and his problems are exacerbated by his lack of all-around effort (a.k.a. only gives a crap in the offensive zone). To put it mildly, he's a bit of a *****. Insert whatever 5 letter swear you like.

 

Kids like that can turn it around in theory, but from my experience those types of prospects don't ever turn around for you. Kids who don't already have a heart and balls of steel need a kick in the Hash Rate to get it, and usually that ends up being a trade after a few years of struggling. He's a perfectly normal and even likable guy otherwise, but by the time players like that turn into quality assets they've already moved to another team and you don't even see the benefit. Kaliyev isn't the worst in this draft by any stretch in that regard but even in a world where draft prospects who have warts or problems with consistent effort tend to have that ignored in favor of skills among the public eye, Kaliyev is noticeably not an energetic player.

 

Things like that are innate traits and habits aren't easy to get rid of, and a guy who is willing to bail on a puck battle often finds it a slippery slope because the moment you are OK with losing once, what's the difference in losing another? What's the difference between this corner scrum and the last one? I could be wrong, but I'll take a kid with fire to go along with the skill, because it's not like his level of talent is so high I'd live with the rest of his game. Give me the kid who would rather die than quit on this play, every play.

 

To be honest, that's partly why I'm not a huge fan of Suzuki either. You don't have to be big or strong to be a pain in the Hash Rate to play against, so guys who play a perimeter game or expect others to do the work are huge pet peeves with me. I don't ask for much but you better be willing to try and do everything you ask of your linemates yourself or else you're a selfish player.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright I am on the Phillip Tomasino bandwagon. Though I don't really get why he is being ranked as low as he is, and would expect him to be gone by our pick.

 

He has elite skating ability, very good shot and very good hands.

 

He is a RHS C who won't turn 18 till after the draft.

 

He was 2nd amongst all draft eligible CHL players in 5v5 points and 1st in points/60.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Alright I am on the Phillip Tomasino bandwagon. Though I don't really get why he is being ranked as low as he is, and would expect him to be gone by our pick.

 

He has elite skating ability, very good shot and very good hands.

 

He is a RHS C who won't turn 18 till after the draft.

 

He was 2nd amongst all draft eligible CHL players in 5v5 points and 1st in points/60.

 

How big is he? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

 

Looks like 5'-11" 175lbs

 

OHL website lists him as 6' 180lbs. We will find out how big he is at the combine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just taking a glance through previous drafts of some of the other teams picking ahead of us, it looks to me like there will be some D going higher than they are ranked. I think a solid forward like Suzuki or McMichael could fall to 26th. My preference for the pick would be a RH F or D, but given the way the Flames have drafted in recent years, I have regained my trust in the organizations ability to draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

 My preference for the pick would be a RH F or D, 

 

I get this for the current team, but for a draft, why have any preference at all?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

 

I get this for the current team, but for a draft, why have any preference at all?

To me it’s just that there’s not many right handed prospects in the system. I get BPA 100%, I’m just hoping it ends up being a righty 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

To me it’s just that there’s not many right handed prospects in the system. I get BPA 100%, I’m just hoping it ends up being a righty 

 

I'm splitting hairs, but, imho,  it matters not what's in our system

 

On the other hand, generally, in the world at large, there are less Good RH players.

 

So they carry a premium at all levels.  Which, we hope, is already calculated into the rankings.

 

If that makes any sense.  So I entirely disagree with you but I am absolutely splitting hairs for no particular reason ;)

 

 

My point about not caring what's in our system....  I think you always just go for the player you think would have the most value.  

ie.,... I think we should trade Gaudreau  He's too small, he doesn't fit here in the playoffs.

That's my opinion.    

But do I think we should have drafted him?  Absolutely.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2019 at 2:21 AM, Thebrewcrew said:

I really think the Flames try to draft a RHD with the 26th pick, at the moment the organizational RHD depth is

  1. Hamonic
  2. Andersson
  3. Stone
  4. Yelesin

 I get you wanna draft BPA, but the draft is a complete guessing game outside of the top 10.

 

I've said it before but I really like Lassi Thomson

 

This guy has some skill he could play RW

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Some video of Tomasino for those interested. Boy does he look good, unfortunately I can't see him being on the board at 26th 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

 

Some video of Tomasino for those interested. Boy does he look good, unfortunately I can't see him being on the board at 26th 

 

Rankings

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

 

Gotta remember some scouts will fudge their rankings a bit to "hide" prospects who they like a lot, especially the less-well-known ones. Guys who are universally considered 1sts but are NDs are plugged in to push certain guys down, which misconstrues the TSN rankings.

 

Bob's lists are still the best, but because they rely on the teams themselves who have no incentive to be 100% transparent, there's always a few guys here and there that deserve to be ranked higher but are not and vice-versa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

 

In Button's most recent mock draft he has Tomasino going at 18th.

 

https://www.tsn.ca/podkolzin-plummets-in-tsn-hockey-s-mock-draft-3-0-1.1296254

 

These rankings must be old, Pike moved him up to 23 on his list.

 

Futureconsiderations has him at 25.

 

Sam Cosentino has him at 25.

 

He is a guy that has been rising up draft boards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, JTech780 said:

 

In Button's most recent mock draft he has Tomasino going at 18th.

 

https://www.tsn.ca/podkolzin-plummets-in-tsn-hockey-s-mock-draft-3-0-1.1296254

 

These rankings must be old, Pike moved him up to 23 on his list.

 

Futureconsiderations has him at 25.

 

Sam Cosentino has him at 25.

 

He is a guy that has been rising up draft boards.

 

It's unfortunate when THW posts an article from April that uses information from January.  My bad for taking THW at face value.  Some of their writers are decent, while others.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think right shot/left shot has reached peak over analysis. It matters, but not to the level we think it does and IMO it should be very far down the list of characteristics you rank when you draft. I'd lose my mind if a GM every justified a pick by what hand a player shot. 

 

Tomasino has long been a favorite of mine but I do think it's a bit of a pipe dream he'll be there. In an ideal world I would like to see the Flames draft a center this year and in particular a center with some upside. I started to zero in on Tomasino because he matched that description, but because he matches that description and because I think he gets better the more you watch him i fully expect he won't make it out of the teens. Wouldn't be shocked to see him to top 15 to be honest. Reminds me of Robert Thomas, who really shot up draft boards late, wound up going 20 and is looking like a heck of a pick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As it stand now i'm hoping the Flames trade down. I'm not seeing a talent drop in the 20s-30s and they could really use some extra picks to keep replenishing talent, not to mention I've really liked what they done in the later round in recent memory. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

As it stand now i'm hoping the Flames trade down. I'm not seeing a talent drop in the 20s-30s and they could really use some extra picks to keep replenishing talent, not to mention I've really liked what they done in the later round in recent memory. 

 

They should by all means do that, if the guys they are hoping to get are gone.  

I can see them trading the pick before the draft, for a high impact player.

Won't be a D-man.

Could possibly be a RHS C, if one became available.

Could be a top 6 RW.

 

I don't suggest they package a 1st and Frolik, for Zucker.  Assuming that was the deal.

That is the price you pay at TDL, not the off-season.

2020 2nd rounder + Frolik maybe.

It's a big salary to take on for that many years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A team I’d call is the Canes, assuming a guy they really like is still available at 26. Theyve got the 36th and 37th pick. That would be a nice move by BT add a couple real solid pieces back to the pipeline

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...