The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
MAC331

2019-20 ROSTER PLANNING

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

2019 Engellend is not the 2015 Engellend anymore.  He's lost a step.  We need to look for the "next 2015 Engellend" and that's okay.

Any suggestions?

Can we get Josh Manson from Anaheim?  Yuck, Gudbranson?  Zadorov?  Maybe Ristolainen (he hits but does he fight)?  Radko Gudas?  Borowiecki?  David Savard?  Darnell Nurse?

that's why I ask .. whos out there ?  BT is gonna get somebody ,   in terms of D , if its a question of signing Prout or Engelland.. I'll take Engelland (cheap ).. Hathaway or Simmonds ?  I take Simmonds .. if Oilers Buy out Lucic, I'd give him a Mill to play the 4th line where he belongs now 

Hendricks, Roussel, Maroon.. all come to mind 

it must have been the reputation , cuz I expected BT to go harder after Kane than he did 

11 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

that's why I ask .. whos out there ?  BT is gonna get somebody ,   in terms of D , if its a question of signing Prout or Engelland.. I'll take Engelland (cheap ).. Hathaway or Simmonds ?  I take Simmonds .. if Oilers Buy out Lucic, I'd give him a Mill to play the 4th line where he belongs now 

Hendricks, Roussel, Maroon.. all come to mind 

it must have been the reputation , cuz I expected BT to go harder after Kane than he did 

Phoenix I think you are losing it. LOL  Burke has left the building. I believe Peters wants a team that competes hard and has players that can handle themselves without someone having to stick up for them. I don't think they will even bother to keep Prout around but they might on a two way deal.

Just now, GM_3300 said:

Phoenix I think you are losing it. LOL  Burke has left the building. I believe Peters wants a team that competes hard and has players that can handle themselves without someone having to stick up them. I don't think they will even bother to keep Prout around but they might on a two way deal.

History is on my side here ..he has gone after these players from day 1.. even yesterday mentioned he wants more toughness.. but the player has to be able to play , straight enforcer days are over .. its about the Hybrids now.. if he had actually played the way we wanted him to , Ferland would still be here 

- engelland was one of his first signings 

- has tried to get Simmonds on multiple occasions including the TDL

- went hard for Reaves last year , lost last minute when Vegas added another year 

- was in on Maroon as UFA, Maroon chose to go home 

- kept Prout 

- rumored was in on Hendricks once or twice 

- names i cant even remember now , signed to PTO's

I tell ya, i'll be shocked if Simmonds is not his Bullseye target at UFA this  year 

On 6/4/2019 at 8:02 PM, phoenix66 said:

Yes..a Calgary girl, because he went to school in Calgary and still lives in Calgary in the offseason

I don't  expect him to be here , but it won't be because he doesnt like Calgary

I could be fine with Eberle at 3 Mill on the 3rd line,  Bennett Ryan Eberle. At least Benny would have some guys with creativity and that can skate. 

8 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

History is on my side here ..he has gone after these players from day 1.. even yesterday mentioned he wants more toughness.. but the player has to be able to play , straight enforcer days are over .. its about the Hybrids now.. if he had actually played the way we wanted him to , Ferland would still be here 

- went hard for Reaves last year , lost last minute when Vegas added another year 

- kept Prout 

I tell ya, i'll be shocked if Simmonds is not his Bullseye target at UFA this  year 

We had that in Ferland and traded him. I wanted Simmonds but will now take a pass, to me it would be like a Neal and Brower situation.  Maroon will stay in St Louis, Reaves is out, Hendricks is washed up. We don't need guys who can fight but that can play with an edge and have some form of skill. DO we not have guys in the minors that could play 4th line minutes and be effective

14 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

- kept Prout 

I don't recall seeing much of what you are claiming here but then I don't follow the gossip or go looking at every tweet out there from these sports analysts.

One thing I have learned over the years, no matter what we put here never happens and Treliving does something totally different. LOL

We must wait and see.

5 minutes ago, GM_3300 said:

I don't recall seeing much of what you are claiming here but then I don't follow the gossip or go looking at every tweet out there from these sports analysts.

One thing I have learned over the years, no matter what we put here never happens and Treliving does something totally different. LOL

We must wait and see.

I hear ya, its hard to keep up .. and for sure there are always garbage reports. i like guys like Friedman, Mackenzie.. etc

The draft last year I remember clearly .. before the hamilton trade went down , BT was like a water bug going between Toronto and Philly .. Friedman said he heard the names being mentioned in Philly were Simmonds and Ghost .. Toronto involved Nylander (likely us asking and being told No )

This board was having a practical aneurysm last year when it was said Reaves was seen in town having dinner with BT (personally i was pulling for it )..reports came out later we had him nearly on a handshake then Vegas offered more term .. or same money less term .. forget which 

BT had such little luck at this TDL cuz every team wanted andersson and valimaki 

8 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I hear ya, its hard to keep up .. and for sure there are always garbage reports. i like guys like Friedman, Mackenzie.. etc

The draft last year I remember clearly .. before the hamilton trade went down , BT was like a water bug going between Toronto and Philly .. Friedman said he heard the names being mentioned in Philly were Simmonds and Ghost .. Toronto involved Nylander (likely us asking and being told No )

This board was having a practical aneurysm last year when it was said Reaves was seen in town having dinner with BT (personally i was pulling for it )..reports came out later we had him nearly on a handshake then Vegas offered more term .. or same money less term .. forget which 

BT had such little luck at this TDL cuz every team wanted andersson and valimaki 

You are referring to trying to make a deal with Hamilton involved. I was for bringing Reaves here. BT seems to put himself in tight spots by trying old school types like Brouwer and Neal. I understand some of the reasoning being these guys character rubbing off on the young core. I just think Peters has other ideas and it should be interesting to see what type of players they do go after this offseason. I put my final answer haha up above but we will see what happens.

37 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

We had that in Ferland and traded him. I wanted Simmonds but will now take a pass, to me it would be like a Neal and Brower situation.  Maroon will stay in St Louis, Reaves is out, Hendricks is washed up. We don't need guys who can fight but that can play with an edge and have some form of skill. DO we not have guys in the minors that could play 4th line minutes and be effective

like i'd noted, but he never used it .. he could not decide if he wanted to be a finesse player or a tough player ..; frustrated me all the time he'd never stick up when he needed to .

Maroon will stay if they keep him , he was being offered at the trade deadline .. Hendricks is just someone who has a gift of gelling a team .. cant put my finger on it .

and again , this is not about debating if we need it.. or should he do it .. its that his track record and comments say he is going to do it .. and who is it gonna be ?

Closest thing we have to a serviceable player who has that quality is Peluso..and he doesn't exactly strike fear in people 

25 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

like i'd noted, but he never used it .. he could not decide if he wanted to be a finesse player or a tough player ..; frustrated me all the time he'd never stick up when he needed to .

Maroon will stay if they keep him , he was being offered at the trade deadline .. Hendricks is just someone who has a gift of gelling a team .. cant put my finger on it .

and again , this is not about debating if we need it.. or should he do it .. its that his track record and comments say he is going to do it .. and who is it gonna be ?

Closest thing we have to a serviceable player who has that quality is Peluso..and he doesn't exactly strike fear in people 

I would be happy with about 6 more Bennetts.

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

I could be fine with Eberle at 3 Mill on the 3rd line,  Bennett Ryan Eberle. At least Benny would have some guys with creativity and that can skate. 

Eberle is going to get roughly $6.5-mil-per for about 5-years.

51 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Brendan Lemieux could be servicable in that regard. Comparable to Hath in points, not a PKer but will prob end up being cheaper.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tmac70 said:

Eberle's best years are behind him, yet he's in line for a raise.

He's not great defensively.

He's not a force on offense anymore.

I think Paul Byron is better than what Eberle has become.

Two low cost UFA's that I would be looking at are Marcus Johansson and Ryan Carpenter. 

Johansson would add some speed and skill and can play all 3 forward positions and can play up and down the lineup. I could see him playing on the 2nd line with Tkachuk.

Carpenter would be a Hathaway replacement. He has great advanced stats, he is very good defensively and plays an up tempo aggressive style game. It would just come down to who is going to be cheaper.

18 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Eberle is going to get roughly $6.5-mil-per for about 5-years.

ya hard pass there for me.. i'm the same id be ok in a modest amount , he does have upside for playing clutch roles. But you are right , somebody is going to overpay him and it shouldn't be us 

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Two low cost UFA's that I would be looking at are Marcus Johansson and Ryan Carpenter

Johansson would add some speed and skill and can play all 3 forward positions and can play up and down the lineup. I could see him playing on the 2nd line with Tkachuk.

Carpenter would be a Hathaway replacement. He has great advanced stats, he is very good defensively and plays an up tempo aggressive style game. It would just come down to who is going to be cheaper.

When you say low cost, MJ was making $4.75m last year in a 3 year deal.

I do like the player, and hoped we would have traded for him at TDL.

WASH blew it with him and traded him due to cap reasons.

NJ decided to retain salary and not even get back what they paid for MJ.

I think he will get paid this summer.  Good playoffs after a so-so year.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

When you say low cost, MJ was making $4.75m last year in a 3 year deal.

I do like the player, and hoped we would have traded for him at TDL.

WASH blew it with him and traded him due to cap reasons.

NJ decided to retain salary and not even get back what they paid for MJ.

I think he will get paid this summer.  Good playoffs after a so-so year.

I don't think he will get the same money he did on his last deal. He has had some tough years in NJ, I think he signs a 1 or 2 year deal in the $3-$3.5 range, to try and rebuild some value.

COnsidering Skinner just got $9m for 8 years, I really wonder what Tkachuk and Marner are going to get now.

Bar is being set way too high.

Tkachuk on anything other than a 4 year bridge deal is going to kill our cap.

Duchene likely getting at least 8m now.

Lockout is coming the way GM's are killing the cap.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

COnsidering Skinner just got $9m for 8 years, I really wonder what Tkachuk and Marner are going to get now.

Bar is being set way too high.

Tkachuk on anything other than a 4 year bridge deal is going to kill our cap.

Duchene likely getting at least 8m now.

Lockout is coming the way GM's are killing the cap.

Just have to hope that everyone sees Buffalo for the outlier that they are. They also gave Eichel $10 x 8 years after two 50 point seasons. I mean they are single handedly ruining the cap for everyone.

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

Just have to hope that everyone sees Buffalo for the outlier that they are. They also gave Eichel $10 x 8 years after two 50 point seasons. I mean they are single handedly ruining the cap for everyone.

Will have to wait and see what Philly gives Hayes.

If they consider him a re-signing and keep him to less than 7m, then the bar isn;t crazy.

TOR will probably go crazy and overpay Marner, but hopefully he signs way after Tkachuk.

I just hope that BT isn;t going to cheap out and it takes him forever to get him signed due to the Gio cap.

If his logic is keep the term short and bridge him, then fine.

Puts off the pain for a few years.

It almost makes sense.

In 4 years time, you have re-signed Johnny and will know if you are paying Monahan top dollars or what.

Neal is done.

Buyouts are paid off.

Gio is re-sgned or retired or traded.

Young D are on their 2nd deals or have been locked up.

On 6/6/2019 at 1:11 PM, phoenix66 said:

treliving made several statements throughout the year in regards to Ferland and his lack of consistent work ethic.. He was gone one way or another.. Same as Frolick is without a doubt gone this summer.. As for other changes>> I really hope for 3 or 4 major moves but i'm getting a gut feeling of minor tinkering instead

2 hours ago, Horsman1 said:

treliving made several statements throughout the year in regards to Ferland and his lack of consistent work ethic.. He was gone one way or another.. Same as Frolick is without a doubt gone this summer.. As for other changes>> I really hope for 3 or 4 major moves but i'm getting a gut feeling of minor tinkering instead

I reality there are only so many moves available and where we are as a team now (with a core) we need better complimentary players and correct glaring weakness if Treliving can.

Brodie is a weakness in the defense zone and yet still has value.

Frolik has been a slightly overpaid luxury that we no longer can afford

Backlund is also now an overpaid player that doesn't quite fit our need as a 2nd line C

Neal is deemed to slow to play the style of hockey the new coach wants, a mistake on the GM's part which needs resolve.

Stone another overpaid luxury that is no longer required because our youth D have matured and are better options

Czarnik is a spare part and never did or will play a serious part for this team

These are the players that need to be traded IMO because I see the team at a fork in the road and tough choices are needed in order to get much better.

These players represent almost 28M or 30M plus if Smith and Hathaway don't return and are off the roster. Treliving should be able to build a better team around the core heading into next season.

Should Treliving get rid of the players mentioned and have 30M plus to re-construct the roster here would be the holes.

Gaudreau, Monahan, ???????     TARGET Kapanen 4.5M

Tkachuk, ????????, Lindholm      TARGET Schenn 5.2M

Mangiapane, Bennett, ???????    TARGET Connolly 3.5M

Dube, Ryan, Lazar  KEEP Quine and Rychel COST COMBINED with Dube max 4M

DEFENSE

Giordano, ???????                       TARGET either Zaitsev TOR or Miller VGS at 4.5M

Hanifin, Hamonic

Valimaki, Andersson KEEP Prout and Fantenberg COST COMBINED 2M

GOALIES

Rittich, ????????                          TARGET Mrazek 4.5M

APPROXIMATELY 28.2M

The thing I don’t get is every player goes through slumps and not doing much. Even the best do. 

When our best do it actually costs the team a lot. 

7 hours ago, GM_3300 said:

I reality there are only so many moves available and where we are as a team now (with a core) we need better complimentary players and correct glaring weakness if Treliving can.

Brodie is a weakness in the defense zone and yet still has value.

Frolik has been a slightly overpaid luxury that we no longer can afford

Backlund is also now an overpaid player that doesn't quite fit our need as a 2nd line C

Neal is deemed to slow to play the style of hockey the new coach wants, a mistake on the GM's part which needs resolve.

Stone another overpaid luxury that is no longer required because our youth D have matured and are better options

Czarnik is a spare part and never did or will play a serious part for this team

These are the players that need to be traded IMO because I see the team at a fork in the road and tough choices are needed in order to get much better.

These players represent almost 28M or 30M plus if Smith and Hathaway don't return and are off the roster. Treliving should be able to build a better team around the core heading into next season.

I agree with all the above but i'd include Jankowski but want to keep Hathaway