The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
cross16

2019-2020 Training Camp

I notice Yelesin getting overlooked. He was a KHL all star last year representing Yaroslavl. He's the one I''m paying most attention to, and he's only 23 and RHS.

Stay at home Dman (my fave), but also has good wheels. Hoping he shows better than Stone and AMac, as I don't subscribe to the, "has to season in the A"...just because.

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

True, Stone isn't NHL level anymore.  Is Yelesin an option?

Just as I was typing peeps. lol

It's up to Yelesin. He's looked good in transition so far.

3 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I notice Yelesin getting overlooked. He was a KHL all star last year representing Yaroslavl. He's the one I''m paying most attention to, and he's only 23 and RHS.

Stay at home Dman (my fave), but also has good wheels. Hoping he shows better than Stone and AMac, as I don't subscribe to the, "has to season in the A"...just because.

So far, he hasn't stood out in the time I've seen him play.

He had an open ice hit on a Nuck, where the guy limped off ice afterwards.

Saw a couple of good plays.

Need to see more, because it was hard to see him in the choppy stream coverage.

2 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Just as I was typing peeps. lol

It's up to Yelesin. He's looked good in transition so far.

Great minds... lol

He can't be worse than Stone, i hope.  So far, looks like Yelesin and Zag were good pick ups from the KHL.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

So far, he hasn't stood out in the time I've seen him play.

He had an open ice hit on a Nuck, where the guy limped off ice afterwards.

Saw a couple of good plays.

Need to see more, because it was hard to see him in the choppy stream coverage.

4 things for me so far.

1. He's pretty fast

2. He angles players off of the puck well

3. He likes being physical

4. He's got a bomb of a shot.

Still adjusting to the smaller ice and speed, but I doubt it'll take long. He plays with a sneer. My guess is he'll be a fast learner.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Great minds... lol

He can't be worse than Stone, i hope.  So far, looks like Yelesin and Zag were good pick ups from the KHL.

He definitely skates better than Stone already.

9 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Great minds... lol

For me, it's one of those things. 2 guys with an opportunity are going to look great off the hop, but where will the consistency settle out? Hopefully see lots of Yelesin tonight, even though SJ is sending the Barracuda lineup. Disappointed Gillies will get the full start tonight. Why not split the start? Kinda points to Zagidulin getting the Rittich kid-gloves treatment perhaps. Alternatively, hopefully it's more about Gillies getting the meat grinder treatment.

Zag's initial interview when camp started was getting used to how fast the puck gets to him due to smaller ice, harder shooters.

I'm looking forward to camps winding down and hoping both are here for a closer to NHL look.

Both seem to be showing that the competition so far has been maybe below their standards. So that's a good sign.

3 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

For me, it's one of those things. 2 guys with an opportunity are going to look great off the hop, but where will the consistency settle out? Hopefully see lots of Yelesin tonight, even though SJ is sending the Barracuda lineup. Disappointed Gillies will get the full start tonight. Why not split the start? Kinda points to Zagidulin getting the Rittich kid-gloves treatment perhaps. Alternatively, hopefully it's more about Gillies getting the meat grinder treatment.

Zag's initial interview when camp started was getting used to how fast the puck gets to him due to smaller ice, harder shooters.

I'm looking forward to camps winding down and hoping both are here for a closer to NHL look.

Both seem to be showing that the competition so far has been maybe below their standards. So that's a good sign.

So why didn't we sign Stone to PTO and see how he plays against everyone else?  Why rush to a contract?  

31 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

4 things for me so far.

1. He's pretty fast

2. He angles players off of the puck well

3. He likes being physical

4. He's got a bomb of a shot.

Still adjusting to the smaller ice and speed, but I doubt it'll take long. He plays with a sneer. My guess is he'll be a fast learner.

As I mentioned, I found it hard to follow the blurry stream and audio.

When it seemed like he was on the ice, they were talking about a forward on the rush.

Saw one or two shots and a big hit.

Thanks for paying better attention.  I hate pre-season coverage on the web.

They seem to be more intent talking about where a prospect played, who his father is or where he's a product of.

21 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

So why didn't we sign Stone to PTO and see how he plays against everyone else?  Why rush to a contract?  

Ummmm?....because...we..do..it every year?

Insurance vs risk, I wish BT would for just once leave 1 or 2 spots dedicated to risk.

I really believe he always overcompensates for weaknesses he perceives, along with the staff.

Grow from within. Take risks with young players.

"Ruining development", in 2019, is laughable.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

As I mentioned, I found it hard to follow the blurry stream and audio.

When it seemed like he was on the ice, they were talking about a forward on the rush.

Saw one or two shots and a big hit.

Thanks for paying better attention.  I hate pre-season coverage on the web.

They seem to be more intent talking about where a prospect played, who his father is or where he's a product of.

i listen with the sound off.. those guys are annoying and way behind the play

22 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

i listen with the sound off.. those guys are annoying and way behind the play

I have a hard enough time figuring out who's on the ice with a blurry picture.

32 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Tough camp for goalies not named Zagidulin or Rittich.

The only thing keeping me level headed about the goaltending situation thus far is remembering how poorly Rittich played in preseason last year, and what a year he had thereafter. 

Staying positive. 

7 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

I remember sometime last year thinking why hasn't Quine spent more time up in the big league. He had a solid showing during his stint last year, and seems to be more of the same so far.

If I recall, he was good at scoring but was not so good otherwise.

Usually one of the worst stats lines on the ice.

Saying that, I have been impressed with his limited exposure.

One thing that has impressed me so far with Lucic is that he seems to be in the right position defensively most of the time. For a guy who isn't a great skater he seems to be one of the first forwards back on the back check an awful lot. Even just that part of his game makes him a massive upgrade on Neal.

They need to liven up the break stuff at the dome.

Same old tired stuff.

What's next, the Macarena?

Leave Sweet Carloline for the Leafs.

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

They need to liven up the break stuff at the dome.

Same old tired stuff.

What's next, the Macarena?

Leave Sweet Carloline for the Leafs.

I'll take Sweet Caroline over the Garth Brooks garbage they played last game.

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

I like both.

I wish they'd do away with the sing a longs though.  Sweet Caroline works good, Don't stop believing isn't bad, "Friends in low places" depends on how the game is going, the rest are pretty bad and just sad attempts to get the crowd going.  The sad thing in Calgary is it can be difficult to get the crowd going, it isn't the music because its the same in almost any other building.

50 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I like both.

I wish they'd do away with the sing a longs though.  Sweet Caroline works good, Don't stop believing isn't bad, "Friends in low places" depends on how the game is going, the rest are pretty bad and just sad attempts to get the crowd going.  The sad thing in Calgary is it can be difficult to get the crowd going, it isn't the music because its the same in almost any other building.

entertainment value outside of the actual game is very much in need of a remake at the Saddledoom..from the music to the intermissions as well as pre game and post game is tres boring..We Are The Flames!!!1 We are Hot!! if you're not awake, We'll Burn your Assets to the ground//.. Enough with the cowboy crap !! We're done with that.. We've moved on

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

To each his own.

Gloria is the Blues theme.

Sweet Caroline is the Leafs one.

Can we perhaps be original?