The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
cross16

2019-2020 Training Camp

58 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

To each his own.

Gloria is the Blues theme.

Sweet Caroline is the Leafs one.

Can we perhaps be original?

I just can't stand country music, it's like nails on chalk board to me.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

For a hockey arena, it is great for putting the fans to sleep. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Horsman1 said:

entertainment value outside of the actual game is very much in need of a remake at the Saddledoom..from the music to the intermissions as well as pre game and post game is tres boring..We Are The Flames!!!1 We are Hot!! if you're not awake, We'll Burn your Assets to the ground//.. Enough with the cowboy crap !! We're done with that.. We've moved on

The problem, you watch a game on tv how many times does the camera show the crowd after a goal and half the people are sitting in their seat giving a golf clap and looking annoyed at the people who do show excitement.  No matter what music they play it seems like half the crowd treats it like a night at the opera.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, robrob74 said:

For a hockey arena, it is great for putting the fans to sleep. 

What do kids listen to these days?  Mumble rap?

Flames released Eric Gryba from his PTO. Thought he would at least get a shot for a role in Stockton.

10 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I prefer uptempo music, even if it's annoying bands like Nickleback or what have you.

At least it has rhythm.

I may be old, but I can't stand the majority of Neal Diamond or any of the lounge lizzard singers like Tom Jones.

Not at a hockey game.

Then again, I think the cowboy music is also out of place at a hockey game.

If I want to cry in my beer, leave my wife, shoot my dog, then I will listen to it at home.

13 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I prefer uptempo music, even if it's annoying bands like Nickleback or what have you.

At least it has rhythm.

I may be old, but I can't stand the majority of Neal Diamond or any of the lounge lizzard singers like Tom Jones.

Not at a hockey game.

Then again, I think the cowboy music is also out of place at a hockey game.

If I want to cry in my beer, leave my wife, shoot my dog, then I will listen to it at home.

I thought the way it works is that your wife leaves you, takes your dog, and then you cry in your beer (because you miss the dog).

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, sak22 said:

The problem, you watch a game on tv how many times does the camera show the crowd after a goal and half the people are sitting in their seat giving a golf clap and looking annoyed at the people who do show excitement.  No matter what music they play it seems like half the crowd treats it like a night at the opera.

so an entire evening of Queen's Night at The Opera on the speakers instad of the good ole hockey game ny stompin tom?? I like it

Mangiapane right back into an audition spot.  Big night for Janko too to see how he can do with a talent like Lindholm. 

Really like that this Bennett-Backs-Frolik line is staying together. 

Also get to look at a potential 3rd paring in Kylington-Stone if the Flames were to trade Brodie. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Mangiapane right back into an audition spot.  Big night for Janko too to see how he can do with a talent like Lindholm. 

Also get to look at a potential 3rd paring in Kylington-Stone if the Flames were to trade Brodie. 

I'd much rather watch this roster than the one vs the Sharks. I'd prefer Yelesin-Kyl personally. Let Stone try to carry Davidson.

Has anyone be impressed by DSP so far? I know I haven't. Whereas Rinaldo has been doing what Pelly should be doing.

So far of the PTO's Rinaldo would be the only one of interest for me...so far.

2 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I'd much rather watch this roster than the one vs the Sharks. I'd prefer Yelesin-Kyl personally. Let Stone try to carry Davidson.

Has anyone be impressed by DSP so far? I know I haven't. Whereas Rinaldo has been doing what Pelly should be doing.

I thought Rinaldo has been pretty good so far and brings some elements we could use to replace Hathaway. I have also been impressed with MacDonald, right now IMO he would be the leading candidate for the 6th defenseman spot in this team.

Again I am fine with this, because I don't see Lindholm at center as an upgrade on Monahan or Backlund, and I think him playing right wing on the 1st line is more valuable to what we need than him centering the 3rd line. I also think Ryan will have a better year this year and will be the regular 3rd line center, and I think he is a very effective 3rd line center.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Reider has drawn a couple penalties and his speed adds a whole new dimension to the bottom6.  McDonald has been steady too.  Rinaldo has also been speedy and physical.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, cross16 said:

One thing I am a little surprised at is that we aren't seeing Bennett and Mangiapane getting more time on the right side early in camp. Some of that has to do with Tkachuk not being at camp and Mangiapane missing the start of camp, but something to keep an eye on going forward.

11 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I thought Rinaldo has been pretty good so far and brings some elements we could use to replace Hathaway. I have also been impressed with MacDonald, right now IMO he would be the leading candidate for the 6th defenseman spot in this team.

I know many have been enthusiastic, but I don't really share the enthusiasm. I find he's just, kinda, there. I find he forces passes into traffic a lot like Brodie's worst quality v2.

If the pass isn't there, just put the puck into open ice, not into the pack.

4 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

Reider has drawn a couple penalties and his speed adds a whole new dimension to the bottom6.  McDonald has been steady too.  Rinaldo has also been speedy and physical.

Reider would be 2 for me. The thing for me, though, is Mangiapane's going to bring that too. With room to progress.

Will be interesting to see Mangia tonight, I think his spot is beating out Reider.

50 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I like his approach this year. More intentional and more about getting the team ready to play and less about playing prospects or auditions. That's what training camp should be for, getting your team ready.

I think as well as the PTO guys play they will be in tough to crack the roster. Macdonald leads the pack, I think it's him or Kylington for 3rd pair LD, he also plays the right side fairly well. Rieder has a decent chance too but there aren't many forward spots open, maybe if a trade is made he finds a home here, or if Tkachuk holds out. Rinaldo and Smith-Pelly I don't think make it unless they will be willing to spend time in Stockton.

I would go with

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk(if signed)-Backlund-Bennett

Lucic-Ryan-Frolik

Dube-Jankowski-Mangiapane

Czarnik

Gio-Brodie

Hanifin-Hamonic

Macdonald-Andersson

Stone

If we as fans are being honest about the fact that there are indeed some auditions taking place, and that some players are auditioning for the Flames while others are being auditioned BY the Flames for possible trades, who is a lock and going through the motions? Who is auditioning for the team? Who is being auditioned by the team and who is simply taking up space?

Team Locks:

Gaudreau

Monahan

Giordano

Backlund

Lindholm

Ryan

Hanifin

Hamonic

Andersson

Rittich

Lucic

Bennett

Lock for now

Talbot

Stone

Lock or Auditioned (based on Auditioning)

Brodie

Frolik

Auditioning

Czarnik

Mangiapane

Dube

Quine

Jankowski (Also maybe auditioned?)

Kylington

Gawdin

Lomberg

MacDonald

Yelesin

Davidson

Zagidulin

Smith-Pelly

Rinaldo

Reider

Ruzicka

Pospisil

Philip

Phillips

Taking up space

Gilles

Parsons

Schneider

Grenier (Will be cut from PTO shortly)

Valiev (Going to AHL)

Nielsen

Froese

Pelletier (back to Junior after good experience and training gained)

Kirkland

Robinson

Tuulola (Need time in AHL)

Any players signed to AHL only contracts

Just my opinion, but I think there will be a fair bit of movement this weekend to start seeing the Heat take shape as well. There will be some difficult choices made for sure.

One thing that splitting up the group's up by NHL and AHL/Junior does, is that it allows some of the AHL/Junior guys to stay around longer as they don't interfere with the vets getting ready for the season.

Giving the junior guys and the younger AHL guys as much time as possible with NHL coaches and trainers is only going to help their development, and really help them learn pro habits.

56 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

One thing that splitting up the group's up by NHL and AHL/Junior does, is that it allows some of the AHL/Junior guys to stay around longer as they don't interfere with the vets getting ready for the season.

Giving the junior guys and the younger AHL guys as much time as possible with NHL coaches and trainers is only going to help their development, and really help them learn pro habits.

I think its also easier to see whos ready to take the next step. If you stand out among other AHLers you may not have been as noticable if you were with the NHLers.