The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Carty

Nucks @ Flames 8pm Oct 5

I love the man-crush between Tkachuk and Rittich.

It wouldn;t be a win without the jumping hug.

15 minutes ago, cfreining said:

Carty I love your gameday threads.... because of that... 85bad557ae81ee02491e06ae8977cbda.png

1 minute ago, lou44291 said:

85157d7431172e82ab2df9a05a03225e.png

Hahahahaha I’ve never seen that one before. Good one 

Thanks guys...   :)

Bennett and Mangi 10 & 7 mins ice time ??? I don’t care if we had a ton of penalties those guys are looking better than most!

Backlund/ Frolik/ Jankowsli - bad

Thanks Rittich!  Thanks JG/SM/EL

5 minutes ago, 89Again said:

Bennett and Mangi 10 & 7 mins ice time ??? I don’t care if we had a ton of penalties those guys are looking better than most!

Backlund/ Frolik/ Jankowsli - bad

Thanks Rittich!  Thanks JG/SM/EL

Holy! I guess the guys going gets ice time. But that’s a recipe for tiring your top line out by mid season.

13 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Holy! I guess the guys going gets ice time. But that’s a recipe for tiring your top line out by mid season.

Unlike EDM, we only play out top line 20 minutes or less.

2nd line played high mnutes, due to being at home.

Looch (13:46) and Ryan (16:17) played more than they should have.

Bennett had no PK time, though we played well without him.

Janko had less 5v5 time than Bennett but played 4 mnutes of PK.

That recipe in EDM is 26 minutes in a game for Draisaitl.

Compared to Colorado, much better game against an inferior team. But similar themes. Top and third lines look good. Second and fourth lines struggling, particularly the second line. Rittich has been strong. 

D was stronger this game, which you would expect without Colorado top line and with our coach in charge of the matchups. But all three pairings were solid. 

The Canucks suck.  This is not close to the Flames best game and we won 3-0.  Some sloppy plays by the Flames but at no time during the entire 60-minutes did it feel like the Flames were going to lose.

It looks pretty obvious the Canucks are going to be a bottom 5 team this season.  Petterson still hasn't bulked up and gotten stronger.  Boeser is a one trick pony.  Quinn Hughes looks so small.  He has decent skating and made some good reads with the puck but there looks like a lack of elite finish.  He's also so weak and easily pushed over.  He cannot compare to Cale Makar for example.  The Canucks best player was Myers and even he made a gaffe and gifted Lindholm a goal.

Rittich was solid.  He stopped everything he should have stopped and then that crazy save on Myers.  The shutout is a nice confidence booster.  Players who stood out for me were Mangiapane and Jankowski.  I thought they were good. 

Kylington - Andersson is a bit unsettling.  In the offensive zone, they are decent but in the defensive zone, they win battles but they panic.  A few blind clears off the boards to nobody.  A few "I've got it No, you've got it, No..."  One time Kylington gained full control of a rebound and pinned himself along the boards feeling pressure when he was actually clear to skate the puck away.  Just lacking confidence or just didn't look.

Good win, played well. They have to stay out of the box though, can't be giving the opposition 6 PP's a game.

Rittich was great, you can see a new level of confidence with him, he is going to take this starters job and run with it.

The first line played like a first line. Monahan looks faster and more confident handling the puck. Lindholm looks like he is out to prove that last season wasn't a fluke.

I liked the change of putting Mangiapane on the 2nd line, I thought the 2nd line was much more dangerous after that change.

There was a few shifts where Bennett and Lucic caused havoc with their forecheck.

I liked Rieder on the PK, he reads the play well and does a good job of making the bump back play difficult.

Hanifin looks like he is ready to take a step this year. I think it is only a matter of time before he replaces Brodie on the PP.

Hamonic is a warrior.

I thought Kylington was better tonight, his gaps were better.

I still want to see the defense as a whole rush the puck a bit more. We have some exceptional skaters back there, and by having the D jump up and lead the rush it creates an odd man situation and it makes it hard for the opposition to cover. 

• Like 2

+1 for Carty GDT

Where did Carty's liofe button go?

Solid enough this early in the season.

BSD looked very strong.

Some work to do but take the win.

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

The Canucks suck.  This is not close to the Flames best game and we won 3-0.  Some sloppy plays by the Flames but at no time during the entire 60-minutes did it feel like the Flames were going to lose.

It looks pretty obvious the Canucks are going to be a bottom 5 team this season.  Petterson still hasn't bulked up and gotten stronger.  Boeser is a one trick pony.  Quinn Hughes looks so small.  He has decent skating and made some good reads with the puck but there looks like a lack of elite finish.  He's also so weak and easily pushed over.  He cannot compare to Cale Makar for example.  The Canucks best player was Myers and even he made a gaffe and gifted Lindholm a goal.

Rittich was solid.  He stopped everything he should have stopped and then that crazy save on Myers.  The shutout is a nice confidence booster.  Players who stood out for me were Mangiapane and Jankowski.  I thought they were good. 

Kylington - Andersson is a bit unsettling.  In the offensive zone, they are decent but in the defensive zone, they win battles but they panic.  A few blind clears off the boards to nobody.  A few "I've got it No, you've got it, No..."  One time Kylington gained full control of a rebound and pinned himself along the boards feeling pressure when he was actually clear to skate the puck away.  Just lacking confidence or just didn't look.

Good summary.  I thought the guy that stood out to me most positively was Monahan-one of his strongest, most assertive games, ever.  Bennett continues to play well, and Jankowski was also way more assertive.  As far as that goes Gaudreau also finished a couple checks.  Rittich was very strong, demonstrating good communications and he was steady all night.  Lucic looked much faster 2-3 times and I thought Kylington had some very good moments as well.  Overall the aggressive forecheck was effective most of the game and produced a couple goals as well as turn-overs all night.  It was a great game and win for the home opener.

4 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

+1 for Carty GDT

Thanks rocdoc...

4 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

Where did Carty's like button go?

Alien abduction perhaps?...   👽

8 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Good win, played well. They have to stay out of the box though, can't be giving the opposition 6 PP's a game.

Rittich was great, you can see a new level of confidence with him, he is going to take this starters job and run with it.

The first line played like a first line. Monahan looks faster and more confident handling the puck. Lindholm looks like he is out to prove that last season wasn't a fluke.

I liked the change of putting Mangiapane on the 2nd line, I thought the 2nd line was much more dangerous after that change.

There was a few shifts where Bennett and Lucic caused havoc with their forecheck.

I liked Rieder on the PK, he reads the play well and does a good job of making the bump back play difficult.

Hanifin looks like he is ready to take a step this year. I think it is only a matter of time before he replaces Brodie on the PP.

Hamonic is a warrior.

I thought Kylington was better tonight, his gaps were better.

I still want to see the defense as a whole rush the puck a bit more. We have some exceptional skaters back there, and by having the D jump up and lead the rush it creates an odd man situation and it makes it hard for the opposition to cover. 

Fair assessment.

I didn;t like the 2nd PP unit.  At all.

Considering the players we have available, and the ones that have done little, the choices were strange.

The PK was good, but too many chances.

Lucic played okay, but I think stapling him to Bennett is hurting the team.

Kylington's wheels are something to see.

He had one rush where he would have splt the D, but was called on the offside.

One move too many, but the other players could have anticiaped a bit better.

Don;t love the pairing, but two "rookies" together will be a risk.

Need to figure out the lines a bit better.

2nd line is a work in progress, but it seems that Frolik is going to be dropped again.

Mangiapane, Bennett and Reider are the best of the bottom so far, but that leaves Lucic-Janko-Ryan.

Don;t know if that's best choice, but it should be explored.

I actually thought they played better against Colorado. Different game script and led to a pretty passive third period but I just thought they had more speed and flow against Colorado than last night. Good enough to win for sure and not that it was bad I just thought they weren’t great.

but I agree with Peeps, Vancouver sure looks bad right now. It’s game 2 with lots of new pieces so I don’t make decisions this earlier but they were just so unimpressive to watch.