The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Carty

Kings @ Flames 7pm Oct 8

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Bennett isn;t helping his cause tonight.

Two iff calls.

One at the most critical time.

Worse game I have seen him play!  Mangi was great!

Honestly we didn't deserve to win this game, didn't even play half the game, scored 2 in the 2nd but didn't play very well in the 2nd even after scoring the goals.

Can’t keep starting slow! They’re lucky to get a point. Even if they played well, can’t be down 3-0. It’s a trend over many years.

Obviously slow starts are a big problem right now but so are breakouts. Flames were one of the better breakout teams in the league last year and it's something they are struggling with a little to start the season. Can't get they legs going and its putting them on their heels. 

They'll get it. Positive right now is they are finding their game at some point and looking very good when they do it. They'll be fine. 

Tkachuk breaking out a big positive. he was a force all over the night in the last 2 periods and basically pulled them back into the game himself. 

Whenever Eric Francis opens his mouth, there is a low pressure area over the Dome.

Shudup you tool.

Leave the story alone.

Backlund with 20 minutes of nothing.

Rieder and Janko both less than 8 minutes and Frolik with 8.

One deserved it.

Bennett with 16 minutes.  4 shots, 5 hits and 4 PIM's.

Somehow he was the right choice with less than a minute in a tie game?

I'm assuming at that point he was with Lucic and Ryan?

17 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Good effort to get a point after a horrendous start. That’s 2 of the 3 games this year where the start has been poor. Needs to change quickly. Call it a soft penalty but Bennett needs to be smarter with a minute left

We didn't start playing until it was 3-0.

Felt like the Lucic fight changed the momentum of the game.  I like it (especially after James Neal scored 4 today).

I'm not even sure what to do with a few lines.

Tkachuk was great.

Bennett was not.

Backlund was useless.

Mangiapane was real good.

Janko and Frolik were disengaged.

Ryan was not a factor.

Reider was only good on the PK and a few rushes.

Lucic was fine.

Top line was too cute until they got their crap together.

The D.....

Hanifin was okay mostly.  Not a bad goal.

Hamonic was not that good.

Solid at times, bit overall meh.

Brodie was atore fire most of the night; useless play in the O-zone, unable to hold the zone.

Gio didn;t do much offensively, which is the backbone of our D.

Ras was the best player out there.  A couple of miscues, but solid.

Kylington played the least but also made fewer mistakes.

The last penalty leaves a sour taste in your mouth but I actually thought Bennett was good. The first call was pure crap and is they type of call you are going to get from an aggressive player from time to time. 2nd penalty can't happen.

But outside of that I liked his game. I don't think the Flames have a line issue right now they have a getting ramped up for the game issue so juggling the lines seems pointless to me. They are getting it done once they wake up from their slow starts. Going back to the blender is not exactly how you get guys comfortable and confident. 

Man though does Jankowski every look bad this year. he was ok against the Canucks but in both preseason and the other 2 games he's been terrible. It's really too bad that Kadri trade fell through because i think that is going to be peak Jankowski value. 

• Like 1

I really was hoping that Bennett would stick on the 2nd line and he didn't look terrible there but Mangiapane looked great on that line.

I am done with Janko this season. He isn't doing.much out there and I don't know how many times the puck has gone through him across the box on the PK but it's a lot.

I want to see a Bennett-Ryan-Czarnik line.

That leaves Lucic-Rieder/Jankowski-Frolik

Rieder was drafted as a center and they toyed with using him at center in training camp. 

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I really was hoping that Bennett would stick on the 2nd line and he didn't look terrible there but Mangiapane looked great on that line.

I am done with Janko this season. He isn't doing.much out there and I don't know how many times the puck has gone through him across the box on the PK but it's a lot.

I want to see a Bennett-Ryan-Czarnik line.

That leaves Lucic-Rieder/Jankowski-Frolik

Rieder was drafted as a center and they toyed with using him at center in training camp. 

It's really hard to say how Bennett looked there, because Backlund was stinking up the joint.

Saw nothing of his defensive game.

He waved his stick some times.

The offense was a batch of muffins.

The refs were letting things slide, with a lot of hooks and stuff.

But you just knew they were going to call a trip the minute someone defending lost position.

Janko didn;t play a lot, but somehow he managed to start in the O-zone zero times.

Backlund started 72% in the O-zone.

So much for the 3M line taking tough draws.

Maybe I'm being critical, but I've seen nothing good from PP2.

Not in games 1,2 or 3.

Maybe rething that strategy of 2D including Brodie?

This is just a replay of last year.

Backlund and Brodie need to stick to PK.

Maybe Bennett too?

The underlying results have certainly been stellar for Mangiapane this year so as much as I like Bennett, and I do think he’s playing well, He deserves that spot. Sounds like he will stay up there based on Peters post game presser. 

I don’t  have a problem flipping Mangiapane and Bennett so long as Bennett stays on the PP

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

The underlying results have certainly been stellar for Mangiapane this year so as much as I like Bennett, and I do think he’s playing well, He deserves that spot. Sounds like he will stay up there based on Peters post game presser. 

I don’t  have a problem flipping Mangiapane and Bennett so long as Bennett stays on the PP

I would look at maybe moving Lucic off the 2nd unit and using Mangiapane. Use Bennett as the net front, Hanifin and Andersson at the point, with Ryan in the bumper position and Mangiapane on the half wall.

I don't think Lucic has played poorly, in fact I have been quite happy with the results for the role he was brought in for, I just think we have better people for the offensive situations Lucic has been getting.

11 hours ago, robrob74 said:

It’s a trend over many years.

Ditto...nothing has really changed with this team so I'm not expecting anything quite different this year TBH.  They are slow starters and have been for several years now.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I would look at maybe moving Lucic off the 2nd unit and using Mangiapane. Use Bennett as the net front, Hanifin and Andersson at the point, with Ryan in the bumper position and Mangiapane on the half wall.

I don't think Lucic has played poorly, in fact I have been quite happy with the results for the role he was brought in for, I just think we have better people for the offensive situations Lucic has been getting.

I am with you on that.

Hanifin has good instincts, even if he's not the best at holding a line.

Ras should be loading up at least twice on a PP.

Brodie doesn't know how to set him up properly.

I think we need to see consistency from Bennett on faceoffs.  He can be really good.

Ryan is there for support if he gets kicked oout.

Take a faceoff and drive to the net.

Let the other players get the puck to him in his office.

Mangiapane has the knack for doing that 5V5 so he should be able to on the PP.