The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Carty

Flames @ Stars 6:30pm Oct 10

You never apologize for having a good goalie, but Rittich has been the best player in just about every game to start the season. I shudder to think where we would be if we still had Smith.

At this point,not sure what Rittich would have to do to win any remaining detractors over because he’s been fantastic. 

sure looks like flames have a starter. Loved that Treliving and the team gave him the keys and to his credit he’s running with it. Has since day 1 of camp

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

At this point,not sure what Rittich would have to do to win any remaining detractors over because he’s been fantastic. 

sure looks like flames have a starter. Loved that Treliving and the team gave him the keys and to his credit he’s running with it. Has since day 1 of camp

We know early season Rittich can be great. It's late season Rittich that struggles. When the calendar turns to February is when the games get tougher, focus is harder to keep, and the body is a bit dinged up. It's then he can prove his is a starter in the NHL. 

4 minutes ago, A_Flame_in_Oiler_Land said:

So does BigSaveDave start next game?????

I would go with Talbot myself, just because Rittich this was Rittich's 2nd game in a row that went to OT and he saw a lot of pucks tonight, give him a break. Talbot needs a game here and I am not sure giving his first game in the 2nd game of a back to back is the right approach right now.

Wow finally a shootout win! Been a while haha.

Rittich was excellent, has been every game. 

Showing some good resiliency coming back from 3-0 and 2-0 deficits to get points this week, builds character. Although would be nice to build a lead, not a bad start through 4 games 

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I would go with Talbot myself, just because Rittich this was Rittich's 2nd game in a row that went to OT and he saw a lot of pucks tonight, give him a break. Talbot needs a game here and I am not sure giving his first game in the 2nd game of a back to back is the right approach right now.

Yes he needs to get a game.I just hope Talbot comes to play and gets the win 

Nice to see the Flames come back like that for the win against the Stars. and the refs...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

It's a toss up.

VGK is the tougher game, but Rittich playing the 2nd of a B2B makes sense.

Tired team in front of him.

1 hour ago, kehatch said:

We know early season Rittich can be great. It's late season Rittich that struggles. When the calendar turns to February is when the games get tougher, focus is harder to keep, and the body is a bit dinged up. It's then he can prove his is a starter in the NHL. 

By then it wouldn't matter, if he failed up until then. You're not making sense. This is his first year in a starter role, not Smith's back up.

• Like 2

I take exceptiom to BSD having trouble when things matter.

Smith was gifted the net late in the season, playing against a lot of sub par teams.

He got wins and we got played more.

Big win against PITTS, and he still let in 4.

If anything, they ruined his confidence by going to Smith.

He looks like he believes he's the starter for once.

And he's doing BSD things that was a sure goal against Smith.

3 hours ago, kehatch said:

Thats also when the rest of the team's play has failed or gone down too. It’s a team game.

8 hours ago, conundrumed said:

By then it wouldn't matter, if he failed up until then. You're not making sense. This is his first year in a starter role, not Smith's back up.

Which part doesn't make sense? For two seasons in a row he was stellar until February, and fell a part at the end. He is once again stellar early. Suggesting I want to see if he can sustain this for a full season with a starters load certainly makes sense. 

Announcing he is a starter and we shouldn't have doubts after 4 games is what doesn't make sense. 

13 minutes ago, kehatch said:

Which part doesn't make sense? For two seasons in a row he was stellar until February, and fell a part at the end. He is once again stellar early. Suggesting I want to see if he can sustain this for a full season with a starters load certainly makes sense. 

Announcing he is a starter and we shouldn't have doubts after 4 games is what doesn't make sense. 

For two years in a row Monahan and Gaudreau were stellar until the end of December... after that they sucked. Coincidentally...  

without that line this team cant succeed regardless of goaltending.

if Monahan gets a pass for injury one year, so does BSD! 

I prefer the injured guys to sit. They’re no good to the team if they’re unhealthy. 

12 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Bettman points.

Hate them.

Stone was miles better in this game than Kyllington has been.

Entertaing game of hockey.  Thoguht we were okay for most of the game.  Seen some moans about the reffing but I acutally tought we got away with a few tonight.

Mangiapne does not look out of place onthe 2nd line.

4th line looks week at the moment and I do not like the Lucic coastiing we saw tonight.

But take 2 points and move on.

Go Flames Go!

2 hours ago, kehatch said:

Interesting, It was about a 4-5 game stretch last year where he struggled (and bounced back) and that's enough to have doubts....

To each their own, but IMO the sample size is far greater that he looks like a starter than it is that he doesn't. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

Stone was miles better in this game than Kyllington has been.

Entertaing game of hockey.  Thoguht we were okay for most of the game.  Seen some moans about the reffing but I acutally tought we got away with a few tonight.

Mangiapne does not look out of place onthe 2nd line.

4th line looks week at the moment and I do not like the Lucic coastiing we saw tonight.

But take 2 points and move on.

Go Flames Go!

In what way did Stone look miles better?

He had a few good plays, but him and Brodie were a tire fire most times.

Sustained pressure by the Stars.

Rittich bailing them out quite a lot.

Did Stone even have a scoring play, or did he miss wide again.

More chance to injure a player than score a goal.

Everyone sees it differently, but the chances against were significantly higher with the 3rd pairing out there.

9 hours ago, cross16 said:

Interesting, It was about a 4-5 game stretch last year where he struggled (and bounced back) and that's enough to have doubts....

To each their own, but IMO the sample size is far greater that he looks like a starter than it is that he doesn't. 

That isn't really true though. He was poor for a long stretch. He recovered a bit statistically but still looked off. Smith still got the starts in the playoffs. 

I am not saying he isn't or can't be a starter. But I need more then four strong four games in October before I say he is.