The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Carty

Flames @ Knights 8pm 0ct 12

b015c08d5c66b056b0179f2491cd9887.png          VS     e3d8c70e328b8f9eb960ea27c310a5e6.png

Oct. 12th 8:00pm

ad058ce4aa25339bf7782945fea93ccd.png          15f0df911aed0335d7c295d312815bb3.png

T-MOBILE ARENA

fffc8686d65b70dac1e661db9429d6d5.png

• Like 5

projected_top.jpg

cc4cc74ce3c7d5da7356882fafd72c68.png

9da343a02b867a3a62bb55ca5b2f6a27.png                                     e39fec2c2c84775ab616db021ab430b5.png

GOALTENDERS

5991f9e06ce8c6e4672f479171fe4c3a.png

• Like 3

Some positive notes about Thursday nights game...

- That was the Flames first win in Dallas since Dec, 6th, 2016, and snapped a six game-overall losing skid against the Stars...

- That was the Flames first win when trailing after 40 minutes this season, they had eight of them last season...

- That was the Flames first shootout win in almost two years, prior to Thursday they had lost 9 straight shootout games and the last Shootout win was Nov, 5th, 2017...

• Like 4

Refs for tonight's game:

Kelly Sutherland:

Calgary's record over the last 3 years with Sutherland is 2-10, Vegas is 5-4. 

The home teams record with Sutherland last season was 28-27.

Justin St. Pierre:

Calgary's record over the last 3 years with St. Pierre is 6-8, Vegas is 5-6.

The home teams record with St. Pierre last season was 44-32.

Might have an uphill battle with these refs, have to be on our best behavior.

14 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Refs for tonight's game:

Kelly Sutherland:

Calgary's record over the last 3 years with Sutherland is 2-10, Vegas is 5-4. 

The home teams record with Sutherland last season was 28-27.

Justin St. Pierre:

Calgary's record over the last 3 years with St. Pierre is 6-8, Vegas is 5-6.

The home teams record with St. Pierre last season was 44-32.

Might have an uphill battle with these refs, have to be on our best behavior.

So....you've...already...given up? We need everyone to bring their toolbox, and get to work. Reffing is reffing. Piss poor excuse. Don't take stupid penalties. Play a 2-1 game. This is a tough team, don't get into wide open pond hockey with them.

From the morning skate it looks like there are no changes.

Kylington sitting out so that Stone can put his big boy pants on.

Brother vs brother.

Poor decision considering the speed of the Knights.

BP continues the trend of keeping lineups the same after a win.

Rittich gets his 5th start in a row.

Can;t say it's a bad choice, but he would also be valuable in the 2nd of a B2B game.

Mr. Bennett needs to pick up his game.

Same for Janko, who was a bit better last game.

Brodie-Stone is the biggest question mark for this game. 

8 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

So....you've...already...given up? We need everyone to bring their toolbox, and get to work. Reffing is reffing. Piss poor excuse. Don't take stupid penalties. Play a 2-1 game. This is a tough team, don't get into wide open pond hockey with them.

Oh I am far from giving up. Just the reffing has been a mixed bag and basically a random number generator.

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Oh I am far from giving up. Just the reffing has been a mixed bag and basically a random number generator.

Love the bolded.

It isn't specific to the Flames. Every team's fighting it.

10 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Btw, JTech, thanks for the write-up.  As far as reffing goes I’d say it has been fair to poor, with a bias against the Flames, pretty much all season to date.  Many of the calls were phantom penalties, and many others negligible infractions and not called consistently against both teams.

This brings me to my main thought.  A couple days ago I watched a tribute to a long-time retired ref, whose son is currently reffing as well in the NHL.  Interestedly the dad’s advice as a Hall of Fame referee was this.... always make these three calls:

1. The match penalties

2. The scoring chances

3. The blatant, obvious calls everybody in the arena can see.

Ignore the rest as much as possible and let the players play.  This seemed somewhat reasonable, but it highlights that the refs are(should be) trying to provide an overall good atmosphere, for both sides, versus trying to call all the penalties.  The difficulty is that when a lot of the calls are phantom calls, or very marginal at best, or when one team has a rep, or is trying to be a tough team, or has a beast mode player, the refs tilt the ice disproportionately.  I think has definitely happened so far versus the Flames, many times.  If you look at the  calls, sure you can make the case for penalties, the problem is that you could also identify dozens if not hundreds of similar things that happen in the games just the same that are not called.  Probably half of Bennet’s penalties fall into that category and you have to wonder if it’s the aggressive reputation that proceeds him.  Similarly look at the SJS’s Evander Kane’s suspension after the ref tracked him down and tackled him.... I love Burke’s take on that one.... ie fighting is allowed in the game, “what was the ref doing?”  

Anyways, to wrap up I’m definitely watching over the season to see how this plays out.  

Lines are in the 2nd post of the thread as usual, but I thought I would add this clip from the Flames here as well...

533ad1b8879616137b700ae2088b00cc.png

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I don't think you'll find a trend triple c. It's reffing in real time, it'll never be perfect.

Yeah I think you are correct.  Even a few years back just after the Wideman incident, the reffing by eye seemed absolutely biased and unfair, yet breaking it down the results were not as definitive as hoped.  It’s hard to see why the Flames would be targeted at this point, probably just certain players, ie Bennett who have a rep.  Just like speeding tickets some have the charm/skill to get out of infractions....

Charm is good. Everyone should have it. lol My memo to the Flames would be, skate. Or get dumb, lazy penalties, like you're doing. It's not reffing.

Put a solid game together. Is that asking too much?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Charm is good. Everyone should have it. lol My memo to the Flames would be, skate. Or get dumb, lazy penalties, like you're doing. It's not reffing.

Put a solid game together. Is that asking too much?

Yup, play 60 minutes and we might get 2 pts

Another suspect penalty call, that being said the refs have consistently called the ticky tacky penalties against Calgary so they have to do a better job.