The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Carty

Flames @ Knights 8pm 0ct 12

Just now, JTech780 said:

Not blaming Rittich by any stretch of the imagination but I think Talbot should have started this game. Rittich has seen a lot pucks early this season.

The most in the league so far apparently.

Couple goals Rittich would like to have back.

Vegas 4th line is caving the Flames in.

Yet to get a goal from a bottom 6 player. Tough to win when it’s all on the big guys 

Great pressure by PP2. Bennett was actually passing to Anderson back door on his second attempt. Would’ve been nice to see a goal there. 

Id like to see a small adjustment on PP2 with Lucic. He needs to take away the goalies eyes more. He’s positioning himself to take a pass in front when he’d be more effective standing right in front of him. He’s a big body and he should be creating space in front of the net. 

2 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

Great pressure by PP2. Bennett was actually passing to Anderson back door on his second attempt. Would’ve been nice to see a goal there. 

Id like to see a small adjustment on PP2 with Lucic. He needs to take away the goalies eyes more. He’s positioning himself to take a pass in front when he’d be more effective standing right in front of him. He’s a big body and he should be creating space in front of the net. 

Maybe the idea of Brodie playing the point has to be revisited.

I counted about 4 passes between them that did exactly nothing to provide a setup.

Easy to defend that.

I don't mind using two D, but come on.

Use one that has a chance of shooting.

Maybe Ras could actually take a shot from the point?

Sounds like I'm dumping on Brodie, but he's being dragged down.

How often is Brodie -2 in a game?

And that's with 4 goals scored against the entire game. 

45 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Kylington has not been very good and the coach doesn't trust him to play a regular shift as he is averaging under 12 mins a night.

Stone was terrible last game and is off to a bad start tonight.

Neither are NHL caliber defensemen.

Have to disagree with you there. Kylington can skate circles around half of the present NHL dmen. Sure he is young and has some learning to do but definitely a keeper and worth investing in by giving NHL minutes. Stone was a victim of team CAP issues and LTI last year, piling on the guy is rather short sighted. Perhaps you can give us your list of 200 NHL caliber dmen?  

5 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

Have to disagree with you there. Kylington can skate circles around half of the present NHL dmen. Sure he is young and has some learning to do but definitely a keeper and worth investing in by giving NHL minutes. Stone was a victim of team CAP issues and LTI last year, piling on the guy is rather short sighted. Perhaps you can give us your list of 200 NHL caliber dmen?  

I listed two earlier in this thread that Florida and Pittsburgh are looking to trade, Pysyk and Gudbranson.

Kylington has upside, but he needs work, we just can't afford for him to learn on the job at the NHL level.

Who to pick on. Bennett. Jankowski. Brodie. Rittich. Rittich has been solid this season outside of tonight. The other three have made us worse all season. 

6 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I listed two earlier in this thread that Florida and Pittsburgh are looking to trade, Pysyk and Gudbranson.

Kylington has upside, but he needs work, we just can't afford for him to learn on the job at the NHL level.

You mentioned two player that aren't even playing.

Nice.

So good the teams don;t even need to play them.

So, I’ve mentioned before that our defensive zone needs work. Just thinking out loud here as Bednar mentioned they studied Calgary’s breakout for last years playoffs and never allowed us to get going. I think we should consider the stretch pass again. Or at least use it as an alternative when we recognize that our opponent is pinching along the boards and we’re failing to get the puck out of the zone. We have smaller players that have some speed. The stretch pass pulls opposing defensemen closer to the blue line and keeps them honest with pinching (because they can get burned). 

Ritter struggling as is the whole team... hard to believe this roster is the same as last year. 

Just now, tmac70 said:

Ritter struggling as is the whole team... hard to believe this roster is the same as last year. 

Ya, a couple of squeakers but he’s made some huge saves as well. If he was out of position I’d be more concerned. 

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

You mentioned two player that aren't even playing.

Nice.

So good the teams don;t even need to play them.

Doesn't mean they aren't still upgrades over what we have. 

Peters has his choice of players to sit tomorrow. I am sure Stone is out and Kylington is in, but Peters can choose between Jankowski and Frolik as players who should probably sit tomorrow.

In hind sight what a huge mistake PIT made by giving up on Fleury, they’d probably have another Cup in PIT by now if they had kept him and traded Murray for a grade A player instead.

Just now, JTech780 said:

Doesn't mean they aren't still upgrades over what we have. 

Every other team seems to be able to give a player some breathing room.

But you see limited minutes in penalty full games as not being trusted.

Instead, you would prefer to integrate either of two players that haven't been a part of training camp or experience with the Flames systems.

We all see what we want to.

Kylington has made fewer gaffs than Stone and is more mobile than Gudbranson.

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Peters has his choice of players to sit tomorrow. I am sure Stone is out and Kylington is in, but Peters can choose between Jankowski and Frolik as players who should probably sit tomorrow.

Add Bennett to that list.

BP has to stop giving games to a goalie based on the last game.

Rittich was lights out, but he's faced too many shots so far.

He could have used a break and been their to backstop a tired Flames team.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

BP has to stop giving games to a goalie based on the last game.

Rittich was lights out, but he's faced too many shots so far.

He could have used a break and been their to backstop a tired Flames team.

I am no goalie coach but I feel like you gotta just go with a schedule. 

As for what others are saying, I think other teams know and are ready for the Flames, the book is out. It was one of the things that killed us, no changes. Our coach believes in the system but doesn’t make adjustments, other than changing players around.

it’s gonna be a tough year I think.

Hate to say but add Bennett to my trade list now, he just doesn't have it. Has the speed, physicality but limited hockey IQ. The lack of desperation is concerning as well. Satoshi Nakamototy passes never playing 60 minutes, been a trend for couple years now. IMHO rock the boat with a trade or sit someone out to send a message, just to many passengers again.