The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Carty

Flames @ Knights 8pm 0ct 12

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Every other team seems to be able to give a player some breathing room.

But you see limited minutes in penalty full games as not being trusted.

Instead, you would prefer to integrate either of two players that haven't been a part of training camp or experience with the Flames systems.

We all see what we want to.

Kylington has made fewer gaffs than Stone and is more mobile than Gudbranson.

Seeing what we want works both ways. 

Kylington averaged under 12:30 last season as well, so it isn't just this season. I have been a Kylington supporter, his skating is elite, but he doesn't think the game well enough at this point. His decision making is too slow. 

2 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Hate to say but add Bennett to my trade list now, he just doesn't have it. Has the speed, physicality but limited hockey IQ. The lack of desperation is concerning as well. Satoshi Nakamototy passes never playing 60 minutes, been a trend for couple years now. IMHO rock the boat with a trade or sit someone out to send a message, just to many passengers again. 

Ya, but I feel like it’s this team’s MO. Start slow and then try to comeback. It only works so often. 

I dont think this team team has ever played a full team game. It’s usually only one line going. 

5 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Hate to say but add Bennett to my trade list now, he just doesn't have it. Has the speed, physicality but limited hockey IQ. The lack of desperation is concerning as well. Satoshi Nakamototy passes never playing 60 minutes, been a trend for couple years now. IMHO rock the boat with a trade or sit someone out to send a message, just to many passengers again. 

He's a playoff guy.  Just carry him to the playoffs and then he will wake up.

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

Seeing what we want works both ways. 

Kylington averaged under 12:30 last season as well, so it isn't just this season. I have been a Kylington supporter, his skating is elite, but he doesn't think the game well enough at this point. His decision making is too slow. 

I wonder how much of his lack of IQ is fear of screwing up. It looks tentative to me, more anything.

4 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I am no goalie coach but I feel like you gotta just go with a schedule. 

As for what others are saying, I think other teams know and are ready for the Flames, the book is out. It was one of the things that killed us, no changes. Our coach believes in the system but doesn’t make adjustments, other than changing players around.

it’s gonna be a tough year I think.

Well, they would be wrong.  :) 

The Flames don't suffer from teams knowing their systems.

They struggle to play their systems.

Brodie-Stone = tire fire.

Janko + Bennett = low IQ plays.

Tkachuk-Backlund-Mangiapane looked good to start, but was scored on.

Then again, Stone and Brodie were out there with them.

3M line reformed in the 2nd.

Works for one goal, but the bottom 6 looked bad.

Unlike some teams that overplay their best lines, we roll 2 lines of garbage to make up for one good line.

Just now, robrob74 said:

I wonder how much of his lack of IQ is fear of screwing up. It looks tentative to me, more anything.

The lack of IQ has been the book on Kylington since his draft year that's why he dropped from a top 5 pick to 60th overall.

6 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

The lack of IQ has been the book on Kylington since his draft year that's why he dropped from a top 5 pick to 60th overall.

Ironically, he's improved a lot since his draft year.   He's not there yet but you've still gotta give credit where credit is due.  The kid is trending in the right direction and so there's reason to believe he can trend into "good enough" for a bottom pairing role.

EDIT: Comparably speaking, Bennett is trending the wrong way.  Jankowski, same thing.  Michael Stone, risky play and just can't hockey anymore.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Ironically, he's improved a lot since his draft year.   He's not there yet but you've still gotta give credit where credit is due.  The kid is trending in the right direction and so there's reason to believe he can trend into "good enough" for a bottom pairing role.

EDIT: Comparably speaking, Bennett is trending the wrong way.  Jankowski, same thing.  Michael Stone, risky play and just can't hockey anymore.

The problem being that we can't afford to wait till Kylington is good enough to play bottom pairing minutes. When we were rebuilding we could afford it, but we are supposed to be contenders this year.  Defense is too important of a position to have maybes.

This season seems to be defined by the players that are costing us. We don't need superstars on the bottom pairing or bottom 6. But we can't rely on guys that are liabilities. 

37 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Well, they would be wrong.  :) 

The Flames don't suffer from teams knowing their systems.

They struggle to play their systems.

Brodie-Stone = tire fire.

Janko + Bennett = low IQ plays.

Tkachuk-Backlund-Mangiapane looked good to start, but was scored on.

Then again, Stone and Brodie were out there with them.

3M line reformed in the 2nd.

Works for one goal, but the bottom 6 looked bad.

Unlike some teams that overplay their best lines, we roll 2 lines of garbage to make up for one good line.

Haha, maybe that’s what they know, we are a one line team or two when Backlund is going. But it’s not every game that the top two lines are going at the same time.

i find it really odd that they struggle with the system when only two players are different. 

Could it be the other teams arent letting them get into the systems? I thought that was our game, possession, and they’ve played a possession game for the last 4 years.

Was only able to see the 2nd period, so I can’t offer a truly fair assessment, but here are some thoughts 

-from what I’ve read on Twitter from reporters looked like another slow start, crazy how they were unable to get up for a game on a Saturday in such an amazing atmosphere.

-Rittich made some good saves but there were weak goals tonight as well

-the bottom 6 is in shambles IMO, nobody down there is playing well and because of that they’ve been held off the scoresheet for 5 games

-I’m unsure as to why Lucic is on the PP. he scored 6 goals last year. The trade is what it is but to use him on the pp doesn’t make sense to me. I would go with Mangiapane-Backlund-Ryan

Hanifin-Andersson for PP2

-seems to me the Flames are fortunate to have 2 wins in their first 5, not a lot of good efforts from start to finish through 5 games 

11 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Haha, maybe that’s what they know, we are a one line team or two when Backlund is going. But it’s not every game that the top two lines are going at the same time.

i find it really odd that they struggle with the system when only two players are different. 

Could it be the other teams arent letting them get into the systems? I thought that was our game, possession, and they’ve played a possession game for the last 4 years.

If you look back to the way we played last year (regardless of a few slow starts), you see a different team.

Defensive structure looks like the worst of last year.

Passive PK.

Lots of puck movement on the PP, but little player movement.

Penalties called every period.

What made them successful last year was playing in those structures for more than a period.

Vegas and LA were two of the worst games executed by the players.

Why it happens isn;t a team figuring us out.

It's our team incapable of sticking to what works.

That was a theme last year.

We played the same way down a goal as we did up one.

Do the same things and you will usually be rewarded.

In games with Gully as the coach, the Flames gave up on systems when down a goal.

They imploded.

This year, we are seeing that pushback, but it doesn;t last.

We tie it up or go ahead and stop playing.

30 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

If you look back to the way we played last year (regardless of a few slow starts), you see a different team.

Defensive structure looks like the worst of last year.

Passive PK.

Lots of puck movement on the PP, but little player movement.

Penalties called every period.

What made them successful last year was playing in those structures for more than a period.

Vegas and LA were two of the worst games executed by the players.

Why it happens isn;t a team figuring us out.

It's our team incapable of sticking to what works.

That was a theme last year.

We played the same way down a goal as we did up one.

Do the same things and you will usually be rewarded.

In games with Gully as the coach, the Flames gave up on systems when down a goal.

They imploded.

This year, we are seeing that pushback, but it doesn;t last.

We tie it up or go ahead and stop playing.

Ya, but that’s also the trend. The team got away with playing this way, playing one period a game a lot of the time last year. The potency of the first line really was the difference maker and Rittich’s play in the first half.

See this is exactly what I saw last year. But I think it was masked by the great play of 5-6 players. 

Teams know now that the Flames were 2nd in the league last year so now they will play harder. They’ve figured it out, much like the Avs did. This team has been fragile since the All Star Break and became problematic when only the Ryan line was going. We are seeing it again, one line. Albeit when they go they can be one of the best in hockey. 

When you play play one period against one of the best teams, this is what happens. It is a trend.

when everyone was touting how great the team was last year, I was pointing this stuff out and getting people pissed at me for it. I see the greatness in one line, but deficiencies almost everywhere else. 

This is like Iggy days, shut one line down and you beat the Flames .

You have been able to point out some flaws of the team, but I don't agree with your conclusions.

This season doesn;t resemble last season's fall off, other than losses.

The bottom 6 is a mess.

The top line isn't being shut down.

The PP is PP1 or nothing; okay that is similar.

The PK is passive.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

You have been able to point out some flaws of the team, but I don't agree with your conclusions.

This season doesn;t resemble last season's fall off, other than losses.

The bottom 6 is a mess.

The top line isn't being shut down.

The PP is PP1 or nothing; okay that is similar.

The PK is passive.

I get what you're saying. But I do think it's the same. The offence is still only coming from the Gaudreau line.. That's the problem I saw most of the season last year until Ryan got going. 

It worries me because if the Gaudreau line falls off again then the team is hooped.