The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Carty

Wings @ Flames 7pm Oct 17

3 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

Lindholm hit helm first, yes, but if you watch the replay again you’ll see Lindholms intent wasn’t to hit helm in the head. He thought helm was going to engage him and he put his hands up to protect himself. Still, the outcome wasn’t good despite the lack of intent. 

Flames-friendly interpretation. :) 

On 2nd look, it looked like he was throwing the elbow but not aiimed at the head.

He knew when he connected after the fact.

5 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

Personally, I’d like to see the league employ a rule where any egregious act is suspendable for the duration of the injury and recovery of the victimized player. I imagine we’d see less stick work, and fewer hits from behind when a player is in a vulnerable position. 

That was something I remember suggesting a long time ago. Except I think it was 2x the injury time and fined the equivalent of the lost time amount of the injured players salary.

5 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

Personally, I’d like to see the league employ a rule where any egregious act is suspendable for the duration of the injury and recovery of the victimized player. I imagine we’d see less stick work, and fewer hits from behind when a player is in a vulnerable position. 

That was something I remember suggesting a long time ago. Except I think it was 2x the injury time and fined the equivalent of the lost time amount of the injured players salary.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I lost a lot of respect for Lindholm as well with the elbow, but a dirty two handed isn't how you respond to being elbowed, challenge Lindholm to a fight. Then when Hamonic drops his gloves he needs to answer that bell.

Disagree. The axe was to fight Lindholm. Why, all of a sudden, are you fighting Hamonic?

Just now, travel_dude said:

Flames-friendly interpretation. :) 

On 2nd look, it looked like he was throwing the elbow but not aiimed at the head.

He knew when he connected after the fact.

I watched it a third time and changed my post to reflect that Lindholm attempted to throw a hit - thinking helm was coming at him. My error

1 minute ago, A_Flame_in_Oiler_Land said:

Shame BIG SAVE DAVE couldn't have held that shot he would have had his second shut out 

He made the save, but when in doubt, fall on your butt.

Amazing that no Flames player even played to the whistle.

It would not have crossed the line without that poke last second.

10 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I know you want the 60 min effort and the domination etc etc, but the fact the flames have shown they can crank their game up when they need to should give a lot of optimism. 

rest can be ironed out. 

I think the 60 min effort is a bit of a myth, even the best teams only have a handful of 60 mins efforts a season. 

The exception is the playoffs, in the playoffs you need a 60 min effort every night and that's the reason I am hoping Calgary learned last season.

4 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Disagree. The axe was to fight Lindholm. Why, all of a sudden, are you fighting Hamonic?

Because he took Lindholm out of the game with the two hand, he didn't even give Lindholm a chance to answer for his elbow.

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I think the 60 min effort is a bit of a myth, even the best teams only have a handful of 60 mins efforts a season. 

The exception is the playoffs, in the playoffs you need a 60 min effort every night and that's the reason I am hoping Calgary learned last season.

I partially agree. 

but there is not quite having a 60 min effort and the there is sleeping throughly stretches of the game like the flames are still doing. Especially against not very good teams like Detroit. 

the benchmark needs to be higher for the Flames imo. 

40 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Is Rittich a #1 yet? lol

Countdown to dominant, all star #1 imo.

He can’t be until he wins 5 games in February.

Much better night from Bennett and Lucic, I thought it was their best game of the season

Rittich was great again.

Hope Lindholm and Mangiapane are alright 

Great 1st

2nd was lazy

Great 3rd

Lucic with his best Flame game so far.  Be good to see more of this.

Mangipnae looked good - hope it was precautionary him sitting the 3rd

Slash on Lindholm was reckless.

Hammy playing through an injury yet again.

Not convinced with Janks or Czarnic so far this season.

10 hours ago, cross16 said:

I partially agree. 

but there is not quite having a 60 min effort and the there is sleeping throughly stretches of the game like the flames are still doing. Especially against not very good teams like Detroit. 

Oh I am not saying there isn't room for improvement, especially on the PP, but I think there are going to be stretches in every game where the other team, no matter how weak, is going to push back.

We do have to limit the effectiveness of those push backs.

11 hours ago, cross16 said:

I partially agree. 

DET is going to be one of those teams that can beat you.

They have some skill and can get excellent goaltending.

Some of the letdown was due to DET having an excellent period.

They built momentum and we didn't take the game back.

That can happen.

The good thing is we are seeing some signs of life.

Start on time.

Play the 3rd period to win and not hold a lead.

Don't know why that's getting called dirty or a slew foot....

Seems pretty incidental to me. 

21 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Thanks.  Looks incidental to me.

Mangiapane went to the quiet room and never returned.  So, maybe he's out 1 week for concussion protocol. 

To me it looks like the defensemen kicks his foot out as he passes Mangiapane, but it's close it indeed could have been incidental.

• Like 1

Having $5K for a maximum fine is peanuts...   It's well past time for a sizable increase...   Not because of this incident specifically, but in general terms so it hits the pocketbook more and then the fine would br more of the deterrent it is meant to be...