The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Carty

Panthers @ Flames 7pm Oct 24

Big Save Dave! Stops one of the best on the shootout.

Get 2 points the hard way. Doesn't really matter that we gave Florida a point.

Lots to clean up after that game.

8 minutes ago, A_Flame_in_Oiler_Land said:

Satoshi Nakamoto oilers WIN in ot

Having one line score all your goals is extremely sustainable. Just wait, it’ll even out 

They were opportunistic which is great as that has been a sore spot so far this year. 

but that was probably the worst d zone game I’ve seen them play in a while and they couldn’t break out. Good to get the points but they really need to buckle down and start fixing things in the d zone. 

34 minutes ago, cross16 said:

They were opportunistic which is great as that has been a sore spot so far this year. 

but that was probably the worst d zone game I’ve seen them play in a while and they couldn’t break out. Good to get the points but they really need to buckle down and start fixing things in the d zone. 

I don't know what's up with the pairings.

None of them can play two good games in a row.

I think they need to try out some different looks right now.

The Heritage Classic is not necessarily the time to do it, but soon.

What I do know is that Gio-Hamonic is not the place to start.

That's only okay on the PK, or seems okay.

Gio and Brodie were on the ice for every goal against but 1.

Both had their good play too, but that's not a good stat to boast.

29 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't know what's up with the pairings.

None of them can play two good games in a row.

I think they need to try out some different looks right now.

The Heritage Classic is not necessarily the time to do it, but soon.

What I do know is that Gio-Hamonic is not the place to start.

That's only okay on the PK, or seems okay.

Gio and Brodie were on the ice for every goal against but 1.

Both had their good play too, but that's not a good stat to boast.

I don't think it's a pairing or a defense issue in isolation. the only pairing I don't think is playing well right now is Hanifin-Hamonic. Hamonic is a step behind and turning the puck over like crazy and Hanifin just still doesn't read the play at anything above an avg level. That pairing has been bad, the rest have good ok to good.

It's a team defense issue and I point more to the forwards then I do the D. Centers coming down too low, Centers late getting their guy, forwards flying the zone early, the whole team collapsing low, no trade off of oppositions forwards in the d zone, lack of communication etc etc etc. 

When I look at last night, 3 of the 5 goals were scored by either Dmen or a guy coming in late and scoring from above the face-off circle. That's not a D issues that's a lack of support issue. That lack of support is also making their breakouts difficult (ironically the other 2 guys were because of poor breakouts) because they are having to chip pucks or, or just wack pucks out because the lack of support means they can't breakout with structure.

You can change the pairings if your want, but if won't do a damn thing if the team just start playing more as a team.