The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Carty

Flames @ Canes 5pm Oct 29

It sounds like the refs are helping out the Home Team. Sounds like there should have been a few calls going our way that were missed and then it sounds like some pretty borderline calls... 

Just now, The_People1 said:

Pretty sure that Svechnikov goal is illegal.  

Legit goal as long as the stick w/puck doesnt go higher than the crossbar.  Granted it looked like his stick hit BSDs mask on the way in, that would be high sticking I think.

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

It sounds like the refs are helping out the Home Team. Sounds like there should have been a few calls going our way that were missed and then it sounds like some pretty borderline calls... 

Zero shot in the period is the issue, not the reffing.

We seem to play fine when the game is going along ho-hum, but as soon as the other team starts playing with pressure and urgency we fold because we don't play with that style of game.

It's frustrating because this team has played the same way for years now.

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

Well, the play was reasonably called in the first two periods.

Then the started calling trying to even things up (it seemed).

Mangiapane xchecked into the net, no call.

They call Gio for a weak one.

Anyway, it's not the refs in the white jerseys.

The team has to play more than a few good shifts.

FFS, Quine does nothing for Moanahn.

2 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Legit goal as long as the stick w/puck doesnt go higher than the crossbar.  Granted it looked like his stick hit BSDs mask on the way in, that would be high sticking I think.

It's not the crossbar. 

Years ago, there was a college goal scored in similar fashion.  Michigan Wolverine I believe.  NHL banned lifting/carrying the puck off the ice.  

4 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Definitely hit his mask - I would be sending Lucic after him just for trying it

It's not the crossbar. 

Years ago, there was a college goal scored in similar fashion.  Michigan Wolverine I believe.  NHL banned lifting/carrying the puck off the ice.  

You can;t do it at all on a PS or shootout.

4 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

It's not the crossbar. 

This type of goal was banned in NHL.

2 minutes ago, 89Again said:

BP is the weak link- shuffling lines all the time and showing no passion back there.

This team was playing poorly before he started shuffling the lines, in fact he shuffled the lines in response to their poor play.

Flames are getting what they deserve for their effort. And the refs are only a factor because we don’t take the game into our own hands. Perhaps these “professionals” making millions of dollars per year are feeling the pressure of expectations since they finished first in the west last year. Or, we didn’t learn anything last playoffs. 

What’s burning me the most right now is the lack of pride on this team. There is zero pushback, zero care, zero response or emotion to ANYTHING that happens on the ice. Nice goal by Svechnikov, but if that we’re against my team I’d be embarrassed and have a burr in my saddle and be pushing hard to get the next goal, or at least take out my frustration physically on them. Rittich, the guy who’s been bailing us out all season, gets pitchforked, and how do we show our appreciation? We let Haula off the hook and he tips in the goal 20 seconds later. Mark my words, if this team doesn’t start engaging emotionally, we are destined to miss the playoffs this year. 

As long as the Flames best players continue to play without any sense of urgency and emotion this team is going to remain inconsistent. Flames just need so much more out of their better players. 

• Like 1

I think a big message needs to be sent to this team. They are coasting right now. I know it's hard to make a big trade in season but this team needs something.