The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Carty

Flames @ Canes 5pm Oct 29

6 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

This team was playing poorly before he started shuffling the lines, in fact he shuffled the lines in response to their poor play.

He!s shuffling all the time not just this game.  This game really exposed a lack of heart. Totally agree, Rittich doing it all and they can’t even stand up for him- very poor effort across the board including BP

13 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

You can;t do it at all on a PS or shootout.

Pretty sure you cannot "carry" the puck at anytime during play.  And those shots especially were banned.

Can someone confirm.

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

As long as the Flames best players continue to play without any sense of urgency and emotion this team is going to remain inconsistent. Flames just need so much more out of their better players. 

I feel like Monahan is trying, but it isn't who he is, and now he is gripping the stick.

Tkachuk is putting up points, but he isn't having the same impact as far as getting involved and getting his team involved as in previous years.

Gaudreau isn't right, teams are pressuring him more than ever and he isn't adjusting.

I have zero issues with Lindholm and that's why he is still on the top line.

Just now, The_People1 said:

Pretty sure you cannot "carry" the puck at anytime during play.  And those shots especially were banned.

Can someone confirm.

I've been looking and I can't confirm either way. It must be allowed as there was no mention of any rule after the goal was scored.  Theres highlites on sportsnet already with no mention of it either.   Theres vids of recent attempts, even Svetchnakov tried last year.  This goal was allowed unchallenged.

Remember that year when Iggy got hurt and in the month of January the flames went on a heater without him, only to fold up the tent and pack it in when he returned? Outside of last season (November - February) this has been the team’s identity. Play down to your opponent. Play up to your opponent. React to the play, don’t dictate it. 

3 minutes ago, 89Again said:

He!s shuffling all the time not just this game.  This game really exposed a lack of heart. Totally agree, Rittich doing it all and they can’t even stand up for him- very poor effort across the board including BP

Last year the lines stayed the same pretty the entire season. This year the top 6 has been intact from last season till the last two games.

I would say Peters sticks with his lines more than most coaches.

This is not a good hockey team

Remember the days when they never lost when leading after 2? Hah those days are long gone.. zero urgency from this team for the majority of the season

Regression was expected offensively to some extent but this team looks absolutely inept offensively. This team looks more  like the Flames of 2 years ago  that couldn’t score, than last seasons group

Tkachuk holds out for most of camp and has done most of his scoring in 2 of the 14 games

Johnny has been absolutely invisible, hasn’t been the game breaker he needs to be

Monahan hasn’t scored in 11

Scary to think of wear they would be if not for Rittich shutting the door and Lindholm doing all the scoring 

• Like 1

I’d like to see BP tear into this team the way he did Eddie Lack in Carolina... publicly. 

4 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Tkachuk holds out for most of camp and has done most of his scoring in 2 of the 14 games

Johnny has been absolutely invisible, hasn’t been the game breaker he needs to be

Monahan hasn’t scored in 11

James Neal has scored more goals so far than Gaudreau + Monahan + Tkachuk combined.

16 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I feel like Monahan is trying, but it isn't who he is, and now he is gripping the stick.

Tkachuk is putting up points, but he isn't having the same impact as far as getting involved and getting his team involved as in previous years.

Gaudreau isn't right, teams are pressuring him more than ever and he isn't adjusting.

I have zero issues with Lindholm and that's why he is still on the top line.

They all have moments but game to game even shift to shift it’s not there. Tonight I think the main reason the Flames lost is they just got no intensity out of their best players. Lindholm is fine when he is scoring but where’s the play away from the puck? Why did that line just get Satoshi Nakamoto kicked starting the 2nd period. Their best players just seem so content with 1 good shift and 1 goal and just don’t push for more. 

I still firmly believe the will get it together but it starts there. Gio included. It’s extra frustrating because their team game has actually really come around. For the most part, they really limited a real good Carolina team. 

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

They all have moments but game to game even shift to shift it’s not there. Tonight I think the main reason the Flames lost is they just got no intensity out of their best players. Lindholm is fine when he is scoring but where’s the play away from the puck? Why did that line just get Satoshi Nakamoto kicked starting the 2nd period. Their best players just seem so content with 1 good shift and 1 goal and just don’t push for more. 

I still firmly believe the will get it together but it starts there. Gio included. 

That's fair, and they go through stretches where they do put it all together, but can they do it consistently and when it matters. Sure seems like a lot of teams have borrowed Colorado's play book from the playoffs, and we still haven't learned anything.

I do wonder if a trade needs to be made to wake this team up.

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Is Hanifin okay?  Any word on his injury?  He took shot off the inside of ankle.

He finished the game, but he might have just got a shot when he went to the room and when they take a closer look it could be more serious.

We are one injury away from having a Kylington-Stone 3rd pairing, that's down right scary. I think I have a new Halloween costume idea.

Back to the drawing board.

Dominate one period, then fall asleep.

Maybe there's a better idea than Quine-Monahan-Bennett.

Perhaps bring up a RW or at least a RHS with some energy if you aren;t going to use Mangiapane in the top 6.

Tkachuk needs to play more consistent, but the top line saw some decent chances.

Lucic with Backlund wasn't too bad, but I think that Bennett might be a better idea.

Suggested tweaks.

JH-Lindy-Tkachuk

Mangiapane-Monahan-Bennett

Janko-Backlund-Frolik

Lucic-Quine(Ryan)-Ryan(Rieder)

I’ve told my son more than a few times that the minute I feel like I’m putting more of an effort into his hockey than he is, I pull him out.

As of right now, I’m feeling like I’m putting more effort into watching the flames than they’re putting in for me as a fan. For me, effort is key. I could watch a season of losses if the effort was there. This, I can’t watch. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

That's fair, and they go through stretches where they do put it all together, but can they do it consistently and when it matters. Sure seems like a lot of teams have borrowed Colorado's play book from the playoffs, and we still haven't learned anything.

I do wonder if a trade needs to be made to wake this team up.

I’m not seeing that anymore. I think the flames have made adjustment to their breakouts, using D more, better puck support and more stretch pass/ flips etc. I see it as more of they are too fancy and sloppy coming through the neutral zone or o zone so they can’t get prime scoring chances. Or they fail to clear the puck. 

a lot of mental errors and poor attention to detail. I don’t see it as a blueprint or other teams shutting them down. 

15 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

I’ve told my son more than a few times that the minute I feel like I’m putting more of an effort into his hockey than he is, I pull him out.

As of right now, I’m feeling like I’m putting more effort into watching the flames than they’re putting in for me as a fan. For me, effort is key. I could watch a season of losses if the effort was there. This, I can’t watch. 

This season has been very hard for me to watch as well 

57 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I think a big message needs to be sent to this team. They are coasting right now. I know it's hard to make a big trade in season but this team needs something.

Bench a star? Does that send the wrong message? Create separation from the coaches and the dressing room?

Did Quine play tonight? For a guy wanting to make a statement he sure did, INVISIBLE..... There are to many passengers this year for me. I agree with Cross our best players have to be better. The other concern for me has been since Hartley left, work ethic. Remember the stick tossing of GG,  the interview with the players afterwards they were laughing at him, Gio included, this core needs a huge shack up. They all seem to comfortable right now, time to ship some Hash Rate upstairs to watch for awhile. Who know maybe Neal was the lucky rabbits foot.

They look half interested this year, If I am BT I be having a chin wag with them 

42 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

26 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

This season has been very hard for me to watch as well 

I don't know if last season was that much different for me. I felt like we were always waiting for the 60 minute effort last year. This year it's just biting them in the arse. Even at Christmas break Peters was giving it to them and wanted to have a practice to iron out kinks, as even though they were winning, they were winning despite the effort, and playing to systems, etc. I just feel like it's the same thing over and over again. Effort not there for 60 minutes. Late starts to a period, it costs them. Etc. I just never felt it was sustainable. 

We'd go into the 3rd confident we'd come back. They did, but where were they for the 25-40 minutes prior to that? Now it's bad because they're not winning the way they were last year.

The team seems fragile right now.

You sit Janko and the replacements barely are noticeable.

They get weak calls or are hooked down and no call to the other team or a disallowed goal; they fall apart.

Down a goal in the 3rd should not be impossible to come back from.

The fact that they had a lead and turned it into one goal down is amazing.

But what I find is very few nights all the lines are playing well at the same time.

Most nights its lucky to have 2 lines.

Some night one.

Fix one prolem and create two more.

Top line seems like it could work into a top scoring line.

Monahan rebuilt line not so much.

Bennett has to be the unluckiest smuck in the world.

He gets hit by pucks going to the net or is on a 2-1 where the puck never gets close to his stick or he holds it a second too long.

Mangiapane plays fantastic with Ryan, but Ryan and Rieder are doing nothing to really help him.

Lucic looks better with Backlund and Frolk, but offense has dried up.

Two losses in a row and Janko wasn;t even playing.

We've won and lost with Rieder in the press box.

We've won and lost with Bennett and Mangoapane each out for two games.

The guys with 14 games are a bigger part of the losses than the scratches.

David Rittich, on getting nothing but a stick to the head on Svechnikov's sick, lacrosse-style goal: “Yeah, but I also got a stick to the nuts, too, but the referee didn't call that (either),”

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I don't know if last season was that much different for me. I felt like we were always waiting for the 60 minute effort last year. This year it's just biting them in the arse. Even at Christmas break Peters was giving it to them and wanted to have a practice to iron out kinks, as even though they were winning, they were winning despite the effort, and playing to systems, etc. I just feel like it's the same thing over and over again. Effort not there for 60 minutes. Late starts to a period, it costs them. Etc. I just never felt it was sustainable. 

We'd go into the 3rd confident we'd come back. They did, but where were they for the 25-40 minutes prior to that? Now it's bad because they're not winning the way they were last year.

Ya you’re probably right Robrob. I do remember all the comebacks. We excused the team’s effort and hung it on the goaltending often. Last year those third period comebacks showed us what kind of team we could have when the effort was there. The games ended on a high note and helped us forgive and forget what happened earlier. We bought into the belief that they’d figure out how to play like that for the full 60 minutes. Again, I agree and see what you’re saying. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

David Rittich, on getting nothing but a stick to the head on Svechnikov's sick, lacrosse-style goal: “Yeah, but I also got a stick to the nuts, too, but the referee didn't call that (either),”

Rittich is a beauty. We got so lucky with him. And thus far his efforts have gone to waste. Where have I seen this movie before? It’ll be a damn shame if the team doesn’t figure their Satoshi Nakamoto out.