The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
cfreining

Blues @ Flames 8pm Nov 9th

1 minute ago, lou44291 said:

Lindholm didn’t need to shadow Gio. That’s how Perron was open. 

Maybe having the two slowest D-men out there on the 4v3 PK isn;t a great idea?

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Maybe having the two slowest D-men out there on the 4v3 PK isn;t a great idea?

I have no issue with it. When you’re playing a structured penalty kill, speed is less of a factor than positioning. 

Ladies and gentlemen,

It was a tough game with a great push-back. Sad the Flames couldn't reward themselves for the great third.

did a lot of good things. I think that’s a well deserved point but again they can’t find their groove at the start. They were about 90% there but tough to get 2 points against good teams, that are playing that well, when you are not at 100%

It was one of the games you needed to work hard.

I think it is not that bad that the Flames are currently in a tough spot, because it gives the opportunity to step up as a team and get better and build character. We need that character to get into the playoffs and to be successful in the playoffs.

It is not enough to get into the playoffs when no one expects us to get there and to miss the playoffs when the expectation is high. That is why we need the character to fight and get through these tough times.

• Like 1

Can get mad at Brodie sure but that’s a very soft and horrible job by Gaudreau at the offensive blue line to allow Schwartz to come in like they. 

Flames and Peter have a big task figuring out what is wrong with Gaudreau but he’s sleep walking through this season so far. 

I thought Calgary fought hard in this game, after they went down 2-0 it would have been easy to just fold, especially with how hard the Blues were playing, but they kept with it.

Gaudreau wasn't near hard enough on the puck in OT and then a bad penalty by Brodie.

They showed that they can play with a top, and a heavy team at that. 

Gaudreau and Monahan were non factors the whole game.  Tkachuk-Backlund-Mangiapane were the best line on the ice for the Flames. Really hard on pucks.

Bennett provided the emotional quotient for this game. Threw a couple of big hits. Haven't seen enough of that from Bennett this season.

• Like 1

I know that Ras and Hanifin had a rough night, but playing Brodie in OT was just wrong.

How was it he was out there with Monahan and Gaudreau?

BY the looks of it, they wre mid-change of the unit (Monahan to Backlund, Gio to Brodie), but Brodie was not the right choice.

He was incredibly soft all night.

Content to avoid a hit by not playing the puck.

Didn't deserve the penalty, but then again should never have been out there.

TBH, the way the top line was getting held and ragdolled (JH mostly), they should have broken up the pair.

Monahan with Mangiapane, Gaudreau with Lindholm and Tkachuk with Backlund. 

Ah well, it was a good effort to close out the game.

Wasn;t domination.

Don't understand why they used Brodie with Stone again, since it was barely serviceable.

On a side note, Kylington had a hatty last night in a losing cause to Tuscon.

But that was a penalty. Brodie took his hand off of his stick and then held the guy in a grade A scoring chance. That’s always going to be a penalty (on the Flames). 

The penalty was a result of a soft entry by Monahan.

He was on the ice when it was called, though Backlund was sent out for the delayed penalty.

Poor call on the penalty, but it was misplayed anyway.

The PK in OT was good until it wasn;t.

Two chaces to clear it deep and both squandered.

Hamonic with a wek shot off the boards stayed in.

Lindy with the chence to get it deep and makes it to center.

No time to change any players.

That is a penalty 100%. If that happened to a flame and it wasn’t called this place would have been on fire. 

That one is on Gaudreau for me. I have no problem with the drop pass but Gaudreau was not only coasting he barely made a play on the puck with Schwartz right there. Just poor compete level from him. 

I wish Brodie would not have reached out and just let Rittich try and make the save but at the same time I understand why he did it. Was a really good play by Schwartz but there was no reason for him to be in a 1 on 1 situation there. 

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

That is a penalty 100%. If that happened to a flame and it wasn’t called this place would have been on fire. 

That one is on Gaudreau for me. I have no problem with the drop pass but Gaudreau was not only coasting he barely made a play on the puck with Schwartz right there. Just poor compete level from him. 

I wish Brodie would not have reached out and just let Rittich try and make the save but at the same time I understand why he did it. Was a really good play by Schwartz but there was no reason for him to be in a 1 on 1 situation there. 

We can quibble about the fault of the cause of the penalty, but we should never have been behind by two goals 1/2 way through the 3rd.

Chances materialized and evaporated by questionable choices.

Over-passing is a common problem.

Missed open nets.

Upper half of the net open and Stone blasts a Wideman-esque shot from 15 feet away. 3 feet over the net.

Backlund with a tap in, and somehow it goes a foot wide.

JH needing to elevate the puck and limps it into the goalie.

Just a few examples.

I'm less annoyed with the Brodie penalty than some of the other calls/missed calls.

We ask for consistency from players, yet the refs leave you scratching your head.

A hold isn;t a hold until they call it a hold.

Brodie is a call you make in the game, but that was not the only one like that or worse.

At the end of the day the two things that the Flames should look to improve is A. Their discipline, still taking too many lazy penalties. And B. Figure out why two thirds of the top line are failing to compete at level that you need from your top players, especially against top teams.

15 hours ago, cross16 said:

best part we get to watch and see what happens. Enjoy it 

playoffs are a long way away. 

Love that dry sense of humour!

We were maybe an inch away from Mony burying that breakaway. Got it up, just couldn't quite get it up enough. Story of my life. lol

15 hours ago, CheersMan said:

Pretty weak penalty call, especially in OT, the player was falling. Nice call ref!

I thought that it was a weal call as well, especially in OT ...   and it's not the first sketchy penalty the Flames have been given in OT...   and no doubt it will happen again...

It is the inconsistency that pisses me off more than anything...   Seeing worse offenses from the opposition that go uncalled, and  yet the whistle comes out for the Flames...

Some teams they seem to let things go, and the Flames seem to get the short end of the stick more often than not, I'm starting to wonder how long the Wideman effect will last..

3 hours ago, Carty said:

I thought that it was a weal call as well, especially in OT ...   and it's not the first sketchy penalty the Flames have been given in OT...   and no doubt it will happen again...

It is the inconsistency that pisses me off more than anything...   Seeing worse offenses from the opposition that go uncalled, and  yet the whistle comes out for the Flames...

Some teams they seem to let things go, and the Flames seem to get the short end of the stick more often than not, I'm starting to wonder how long the Wideman effect will last..

it is definitely worse when they don’t call one on them and the very same shift and very next play we got one. It’s total BS. 

it is why I think a penalty should just be a penalty no matter what time of the game. Teams will eventually adapt and play cleaner. 

You Cant Blame Brodie For that Goal in Ot Brodie Takes alot of Criticism But That Ot Was All on Gaudreau And cause Of it Put Brodie in a Akward Position Witch isnt Fair