The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Carty

Flames @ Blues 6pm Nov 21

Just now, travel_dude said:

This would be the time.

But, I don;t think it matters.

The leaders are not leading.

Not a single thing is done or said by Gio that says anything will be different.

Starting from the net out:

Rittich and Talbot play well enough to win games.

Ras has been solid, but he is not using his offense enough and backing off in favor of Gio.

Hanifin is fine, when separated from Hamonic.

Kylington is what you expect from a rookie.

Brodie gets a lot of flak, rightly so, but he's not a tire fire.

Gio has been bad ever since the slump started.

Hamonic is looking way older than his age.

The rest make some good plays are are not really helping much.

I think trading Hamonic or Brodie would hurt, but there is no point in staying the same.

The defense is a mess.

Having to play Stone and/or Davidson every night is just wrong.

Thats a start but for me you usher out your captain. First guy I show the door is Gio, and if that doesn`t send a Blockchaining message you keep reducing the core. When your best players on the ice are from the AHL you have HUGE Blockchaining problems. A close door meeting isn`t fixing this mess

3 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I wonder what needs to be said? How can you tell Monahan that he needs to score more. It appears to me that when he is off or injured, then it affects Johnny, and the first line is, well, our first line. They can talk about how these defensive breakdowns keep occurring I suppose. 

If Monahan is injured then he showed go on IR, he is playing useless at both ends of the ice.

For me the effort level isn't there for Gaudreau and Monahan and those two have to lead the way. Gaudreau isn't doing anything right now. As soon as a defenseman gets close to him he panics and bails on the puck.

This team is so reliant on Gaudreau for creating offense that when he is struggling they he is, the rest of the team can't score. Very few players on this team can create their own offense.

tough situation for this organization. The way this is playing out certainly looks to me like a team that has quit on their coach. When you are making the same mistakes, same lack of attention to detail since training camp it does not reflect well on the coach. Double down on that when you look at your top players struggling this bad and just not playing to their strengths. Multiple signs point to coaching. 

But like others have said this is the 3rd coach now this team may have quit on in 5 years and all of them they quit on after 1 good year. This is a player issue for me but a trade isn't going to fix this. I laugh because the people who are begging to Treliving to "do his job" would be the same ones calling for his head if he made a bad deal (which tends to happen when your struggling and trying to trade your way out of it). 

really bad situation all around here. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Thats a start but for me you usher out your captain. First guy I show the door is Gio, and if that doesn`t send a Blockchaining message you keep reducing the core. When your best players on the ice are from the AHL you have HUGE Blockchaining problems. A close door meeting isn`t fixing this mess

We'll have to wait till Saturday to see. Until then, who knows.

23 minutes ago, cross16 said:

tough situation for this organization. The way this is playing out certainly looks to me like a team that has quit on their coach. When you are making the same mistakes, same lack of attention to detail since training camp it does not reflect well on the coach. Double down on that when you look at your top players struggling this bad and just not playing to their strengths. Multiple signs point to coaching. 

But like others have said this is the 3rd coach now this team may have quit on in 5 years and all of them they quit on after 1 good year. This is a player issue for me but a trade isn't going to fix this. I laugh because the people who are begging to Treliving to "do his job" would be the same ones calling for his head if he made a bad deal (which tends to happen when your struggling and trying to trade your way out of it). 

really bad situation all around here. 

Tree for me is a 50% gm some good some bad but its balanced. GG was ahorrible coach, now if this team has quit on the coach once again shows we have aHUGE locker room issue. If this is the case it starts with those who have been here the longest. This particpation metal generation has no grasp of what hard work is. Tree wanted to move some players and those he wanred to move have been dreadful since. IMHO tree as the gm needs to step in thats his job, you now seperate the men from the boys. The difficult position is the coaching in my view. This club got figured out last year on how to defend, players had it to easy last year, we now see the true  Colors. I would love to see this turn around but can not see it. The only thing GG ever said that was correct is this club is fragile and our assistant this year verified once agian. This is a mans game we unfortunately have boys playing it

Not to give the players too much slack, but Carolina fans are saying ‘welcome to Bill Peters hockey’ right now.  Carolina underperformed for years under this guy, blossoming only once he left.

Still not acceptable to quit on coach after coach like this though.  3 things need to happen.

1. Trade a key piece.  We need a culture change.  Send a message.

2. Fire the coach.  Players won’t play for him.  It sucks, but it’s a lot easier to fire one coach then trade 10 players.

3. Fire the GM.  He’s the architect of this mess.  Time to for the captain to go down with the ship.

The whole blossoming after Peters left thing is interesting to me. 

last season the Hurricanes were under 500 until February. Then they took off on the backs of Vezina like performances from Mrazek. they also added a steal or a trade in Nino Neideiretter and the 2nd overall pick. 
Not saying don’t look at Peters, just they the whole the Canes took off after Peters left doesn’t really add up for me. 

9 minutes ago, cross16 said:

last season the Hurricanes were under 500 until February. Then they took off on the backs of Vezina like performances from Mrazek. they also added a steal or a trade in Nino Neideiretter and the 2nd overall pick. 
Not saying don’t look at Peters, just they the whole the Canes took off after Peters left doesn’t really add up for me. 

It should be added, Neidereitter has reverted back to being hot garbage.

19 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

It should be added, Neidereitter has reverted back to being hot garbage.

while true they now are enjoying breakout seasons by Svechnikov and Necas. Plus added depth in Huala, Dzingel and Gardiner 

45 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Not to mention any coach is going to struggle when the goalies you have are Cam Ward, Scott Darling and Eddie Lack. That's what Peters had to work with in Carolina, pretty hard to win games when you don't have a goalie who can make save.

I like Peters as coach. 

It does look like this team may have quit on him.

The problem is who are you going to bring in that is going to make a difference?

Can you go with Geoff Ward or Ryan Huska as interim coach? Maybe Huska is someone that could work, just not sure that his message will be much different.

Cail MacLean needs more experience before I would bring him up.

Babcock would be the wrong approach for this group.

You aren't getting an assistant coach from another team, and are most likely not getting an AHL head coach from another team.

Though Mike Vellucci would be someone I would take a long hard look at if he was made available.

I don’t think Peters is necessarily a bad coach, just that the players have quit on him.  The fact this keeps happening tells me we have a key culture problem, which must be tied to one or more of the core players.  Just not sure who that is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ABC923 said:

I don’t think Peters is necessarily a bad coach, just that the players have quit on him.  The fact this keeps happening tells me we have a key culture problem, which must be tied to one or more of the core players.  Just not sure who that is.

Which blends back to the issue its the players or more especially the core players. Tre knows who this is and must address it, which I hold him accountable for this. When you have toxic employees get rid of the employees. We are speculating that the players have quit on the coach, I don`t see that. What I see is players not engaged in their roles, disinterested as it appears difficult for them. Last year goals were abound, this year its missed nets, cross bars and posts. Team have now figured out how to play or top line, and when their shut down we have nothing. What is frustrating to me is this was all predictable from last year. When you have the same group and the results are 100% different you have a player issue. Our roster just will not engage it to a different brand of hockey to win. This team is going to have to put on their big boy pants and get some bumps and bruises, the soft no physical game will have to come forth and we are not built that way.  Its going to be a long year, and for me its trade core players and I excuse Tree from his duites as I agree his vision was wrong. 

3 hours ago, tmac70 said:

Which blends back to the issue its the players or more especially the core players. Tre knows who this is and must address it, which I hold him accountable for this. When you have toxic employees get rid of the employees. We are speculating that the players have quit on the coach, I don`t see that. What I see is players not engaged in their roles, disinterested as it appears difficult for them. Last year goals were abound, this year its missed nets, cross bars and posts. Team have now figured out how to play or top line, and when their shut down we have nothing. What is frustrating to me is this was all predictable from last year. When you have the same group and the results are 100% different you have a player issue. Our roster just will not engage it to a different brand of hockey to win. This team is going to have to put on their big boy pants and get some bumps and bruises, the soft no physical game will have to come forth and we are not built that way.  Its going to be a long year, and for me its trade core players and I excuse Tree from his duites as I agree his vision was wrong. 

I saw it even when we were winning games. I get it, be happy, but for me I was looking deeper than the goals. I was worried they would have a hard time scoring when games got hard. I honestly just don’t think teams took the Flames seriously from games 20-50. It got tougher after that, even against bottom feeders where they eeked out 2-1, 3-2 wins. 

It’s almost like I saw a lot of the goals coming too easy and that’s just not how teams play it in the playoffs or in games that matter. 

they scored a lot of pretty goals last year. I just thought teams weren’t defending them as hard as they do now, now that they know how to stop them. 

I am the only one that saw it that way.

39 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I saw it even when we were winning games. I get it, be happy, but for me I was looking deeper than the goals. I was worried they would have a hard time scoring when games got hard. I honestly just don’t think teams took the Flames seriously from games 20-50. It got tougher after that, even against bottom feeders where they eeked out 2-1, 3-2 wins. 

It’s almost like I saw a lot of the goals coming too easy and that’s just not how teams play it in the playoffs or in games that matter. 

they scored a lot of pretty goals last year. I just thought teams weren’t defending them as hard as they do now, now that they know how to stop them. 

I am the only one that saw it that way.

not the only one 😊 unfortunately 😓

1 hour ago, lou44291 said:

not the only one 😊 unfortunately 😓

well, a lot we’re getting mad at me for pointing stuff out when the team was scoring in droves.

55 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

well, a lot we’re getting mad at me for pointing stuff out when the team was scoring in droves.

Just because a few people agree with you doesn;t make it right.

Opinions are just that.

Don;t take it personal, we are a mad bunch of fanatics.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

re: bolded...   That may be true, but we are always civilized, even when we disagree...

aac29d656a21b27fd6a59b1b1adc52cc.gif

• Like 1

17 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Just because a few people agree with you doesn;t make it right.

Opinions are just that.

it is true for me and true for them. What you think is true for you. For me, there were some underlying issues I picked up on that seemed to be a weakness I though could get exploited, it’s why I didn’t get overjoyed in a lot of the wins last year.