The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Carty

Flames @ Sabres 5pm Nov 27

b015c08d5c66b056b0179f2491cd9887.png             VS      33f81b40084f9911d9935902bbd52200.png

Nov. 27th 5pm

9740e4f32aeea57785500b226d59e488.png               15f0df911aed0335d7c295d312815bb3.png

KeyBank Center

58f4df3f08a0290b4dffa88bd9a5cdba.png

• Like 9

projected_top.jpg

2e442e5fe99123e00d8f8c479fea3acc.png

0fa5284c67d072c316c78638bdb69258.png                                      4b10c16e3b9e69b2d9ec77ebcc9223e1.png

GOALTENDERS

df019a45af6962e1cef044d951ae98db.png

• Like 8

Th bumpback doesn;t work that well when the other teams are aggressive on the forecheck.

Figures we are playing a team that has has a 67% PK and we can;t even get a shot on net.

Adjust.

If they are aggresive, stretch it out.

1st period had some great energy. Haven’t seen that in a while from the flames. Good to see 👍🏻

2nd period showing some similar tendencies. 👎🏻 For some reason the flames don’t see a power play as an opportunity to score. They appear to treat it like “take it easy, let’s slow it down and see if we can pick them apart because we have an extra player”. It lacks the “killer instinct” I preach every season, and doesn’t allow me to use my Cinder gif as much as I’d like. 

1 minute ago, lou44291 said:

1st period had some great energy. Haven’t seen that in a while from the flames. Good to see 👍🏻

2nd period showing some similar tendencies. 👎🏻 For some reason the flames don’t see a power play as an opportunity to score. They appear to treat it like “take it easy, let’s slow it down and see if we can pick them apart because we have an extra player”. It lacks the “killer instinct” I preach every season, and doesn’t allow me to use my Cinder gif as much as I’d like. 

And the powerplay is such a good opportunity to bag out a few of their players. Even if you do not score, you can exhaust them a bit by solid puck movement.

Just now, Cowtownguy said:

And the powerplay is such a good opportunity to bag out a few of their players. Even if you do not score, you can exhaust them a bit by solid puck movement.

exactly. But we have this tendency to drop anchor and stay static on the PP. we don’t move our feet so the defenders don’t have to move theirs. They simply get in a lane, and we’re stuck playing catch all around the perimeter. Buffalo’s PK doesn’t have to break a sweat. I often tell myself (as I’m a defenseman) that I’d love to defend against the flames PP. it’s so easy and requires little effort. 

The refs are letting them play a bit.

Rieder had a stick whacked aon his arms with a step on the player, but nothing called.

You might call it a good defensive play.

11 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

exactly. But we have this tendency to drop anchor and stay static on the PP. we don’t move our feet so the defenders don’t have to move theirs. They simply get in a lane, and we’re stuck playing catch all around the perimeter. Buffalo’s PK doesn’t have to break a sweat. I often tell myself (as I’m a defenseman) that I’d love to defend against the flames PP. it’s so easy and requires little effort. 

I have never understood that tendency. With Gio and Brodie on the point, why not initiate movement from there and make the forwards generate lanes? Are we so weak on passing that we cannot obtain more advantages on the PP?

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Bad clearing attempts result in a penalty.

Ya. We need to clean up some significant details in our game. 

1 hour ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

As usual, great job on the GDT Carty. Kudos.

Thanks man...   and thanks to you, and to everyone else for the likes...

4 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I have never understood that tendency. With Gio and Brodie on the point, why not initiate movement from there and make the forwards generate lanes? Are we so weak on passing that we cannot obtain more advantages on the PP?

the thing is, everyone has to be moving. Even if you have a loop that you circle in. Recall some powerplays in the past where Johnny is pretty much doing laps around and around the offensive zone. Maybe a drop pass to a D, maybe a fake and cut down the middle, maybe a no look pass back door... lanes open up when there’s movement. Even Backlund used to carry the puck around the offensive zone. D used to jump in and trek down the boards... everyone has just stopped - stopped playing. 

• Like 1