Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
tmac70

Geoff Ward, Flames 18 th coach

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

So, is Gallant tied to FLA or NJ?  I haven't heard much rumbling.

If he was in fact tied to NJ, you'd think he would have been hired by now.

FLA is going to wait until after the playoffs before they make any moves.

I think. 

 

I'm not sure who FLA is as Florida is not looking for a coach. If you mean Flames, I don't think you will hear any links between the Flames and available coaches. They are, at least for now, committed to Ward. 

 

The 4 names linked to the Devils right now are Gallant, Laviollette, John Stevens, and the interim coach Alan Nasreddine.If Gallant or Laviolette are there preferred candidate i would imagine hiring them right now would be tough as I could see them wanting to wait to see what happens with the teams in the mix that are looking for coaches. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

So, is Gallant tied to FLA or NJ?  I haven't heard much rumbling.

If he was in fact tied to NJ, you'd think he would have been hired by now.

FLA is going to wait until after the playoffs before they make any moves.

I think. 

I think that there's no chance Gallant goes back to Florida after the bush-league way that they went about firing him last time, they also signed Coach Q to that mega deal.

 

NJ is a real threat to hire Gallant, which is too bad as he would be my #1 target. They've also interviewed former Kings coach John Stevens reportedly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think that there's no chance Gallant goes back to Florida after the bush-league way that they went about firing him last time, they also signed Coach Q to that mega deal.

 

NJ is a real threat to hire Gallant, which is too bad as he would be my #1 target. They've also interviewed former Kings coach John Stevens reportedly.

 

If it's NJ, then why have they not hired him?

He may want to wait till other offers are there, but if NJ was in the running, he would have been made a mega offer.

I doubt even a mega offer would make him want to go there.

And yes, the timing is right for them to sign him.

Out of the playoffs, no more hockey this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

 

If it's NJ, then why have they not hired him?

He may want to wait till other offers are there, but if NJ was in the running, he would have been made a mega offer.

I doubt even a mega offer would make him want to go there.

And yes, the timing is right for them to sign him.

Out of the playoffs, no more hockey this season.

Not quite the time to throw a bunch of money at a guy I imagine.  We talk about what this will do to the cap, but this will also impact what teams will spend on coaches

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With teams not making any money right now I can see the Flames looking to cut costs this season and next. I think they will keep player costs the same, so they might look to cut costs with coaching and front office positions.

 

While Gallant and Laviolette are probably the best guys for the job, I can see Calgary shying away from those guys because of their salaries. 

 

I think Ward is back because he won't be overly expensive. That or they will look at cheaper alternatives such as Mike Stothers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

With teams not making any money right now I can see the Flames looking to cut costs this season and next. I think they will keep player costs the same, so they might look to cut costs with coaching and front office positions.

 

While Gallant and Laviolette are probably the best guys for the job, I can see Calgary shying away from those guys because of their salaries. 

 

I think Ward is back because he won't be orderly expensive. That or they will look at cheaper alternatives such as Mike Stothers.

 

I honestly don't think there will be any restraint shown by the owners next season.  Sure Oil revenues are in the toilet, but demand (and prices) will be back in the fall.

The NHL is losing a lot of revenue from TV right now, but that will be offset by increased viewership during the playoff, with nothing else on TV that is new.

Even if revenues don't rebound much, the team stands on it own to make money.

Unless the Flames win a playoff round or 3, the coach will get turfed and other changes will happen.

Going on the cheap for a coach with a poor record doesn't make any financial sense.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

 

I honestly don't think there will be any restraint shown by the owners next season.  Sure Oil revenues are in the toilet, but demand (and prices) will be back in the fall.

The NHL is losing a lot of revenue from TV right now, but that will be offset by increased viewership during the playoff, with nothing else on TV that is new.

Even if revenues don't rebound much, the team stands on it own to make money.

Unless the Flames win a playoff round or 3, the coach will get turfed and other changes will happen.

Going on the cheap for a coach with a poor record doesn't make any financial sense.

 

I don't see the team or the league coming out of this smelling like roses.  I'm not exactly sure that TV revenue will offset the lost gate revenue, which with 2 home playoff games guaranteed would've been at least 2Mil.  Also the team hadn't been known for breaking the bank for any coach, why do they do it now.  Lets not forget this is the same ownership group who needed to go into damage control mode only months ago over the part time event staff.  Could be another PR disaster if they do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a tough situation, because like lots of us have said, this in all likelihood is BT's last hire, unless this hire goes on a 6 or 7 year run. BT is really gonna wanna get this one right, will ownership stand in the way? 

 

According to Capfriendly Lavy was making 2.5 this year with NSH on an extension that kicked in this year, which is to say, after the market for coaches salaries inflated. The Flames were paying Peters 2. The details of Gallant's contract with Vegas were never disclosed.

 

It's possible I suppose they could land a Lavy or Gallant as I don't think they will command 6 like Coach Q did with FLA.

 

The question is do they deem CGY a better situation than NJ, MIN, DAL, SJ? I'd say the DAL job would be the most appealing, MIN, NJ, SJ all are 2 or 3 seasons away from relevance.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ya count me in the crowd that thinks the Flames will get lean here over the next couple of years. The NHL draws almost 40% of it's revenue based on ticket sales and gate revenue and I think not only will be that reduced this year I think it's very likely you'll take a hit there next year. On top of that with the situation here in Alberta being what it is your going to have sponsorship and corporate packages impacted as well as tickets. Not suggesting they are going to be in trouble but I think there i going to be a big financial impact to the club.

 

That being said I've said for a while i'm not sure if it's a money thing so much as a recruitment issue. I'm not sure I see coaches lining up to coach here unless you overpay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cross16 said:

ya count me in the crowd that thinks the Flames will get lean here over the next couple of years. The NHL draws almost 40% of it's revenue based on ticket sales and gate revenue and I think not only will be that reduced this year I think it's very likely you'll take a hit there next year. On top of that with the situation here in Alberta being what it is your going to have sponsorship and corporate packages impacted as well as tickets. Not suggesting they are going to be in trouble but I think there i going to be a big financial impact to the club.

 

That being said I've said for a while i'm not sure if it's a money thing so much as a recruitment issue. I'm not sure I see coaches lining up to coach here unless you overpay. 

 

 

It's kind of weird because it seems that there are a lot of players who like the community that Calgary has built and see it as a good family city. But then, I am not sure. It sounds like the team is very involved in the community. I wonder if that was kind of Tort's downfall in Vancouver. He didn't want to be there from the get-go, and lived in a place just over the boarder, and didn't really run the practices. Apparently he didn't talk to Burrows for the first while yet being the head coach. Silly. But I guess that's how it goes with community and desire to be in certain markets. 

 

I just don't get it. I'd coach or play anywhere if I was making that much more than I make now. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cross16 said:

ya count me in the crowd that thinks the Flames will get lean here over the next couple of years. The NHL draws almost 40% of it's revenue based on ticket sales and gate revenue and I think not only will be that reduced this year I think it's very likely you'll take a hit there next year. On top of that with the situation here in Alberta being what it is your going to have sponsorship and corporate packages impacted as well as tickets. Not suggesting they are going to be in trouble but I think there i going to be a big financial impact to the club.

 

That being said I've said for a while i'm not sure if it's a money thing so much as a recruitment issue. I'm not sure I see coaches lining up to coach here unless you overpay. 

 

I don't pretend to know what will happen with oil or COVID-19 next season, but I don't think there is going to be a big impact on team makeup.

The immediate need is to get fans back.

Poor playoffs or poor start to next season isn't going to do that.

Diluting the club to save money is going to hurt in the short and long term.

Fans will stay away, except for the die-hard fans that just want to see hockey live.

  

Will they shed contract that are not performing to the value?  Sure.

They are not going to continue to pay Bennett over $2m for a tough guy role.

If he isn't stepping up in the playoffs, then his value is marginal.

I'm not discounting the other thing he adds to the team, just being pragmatic.

Ryan will be here until he is passed by others for his faceoff and utility vale.

They may ship out Gio, but mostly to get younger or add a new leader.

When it comes to coaching, it's a matter of who gets the job done.

This playoffs is do or die for the coach.

 

When the new arena project costs begin, then you may see some movement in payroll.

It really depends on where they are as a team.

If they suck, they need to improve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

 

 

It's kind of weird because it seems that there are a lot of players who like the community that Calgary has built and see it as a good family city. But then, I am not sure. It sounds like the team is very involved in the community. I wonder if that was kind of Tort's downfall in Vancouver. He didn't want to be there from the get-go, and lived in a place just over the boarder, and didn't really run the practices. Apparently he didn't talk to Burrows for the first while yet being the head coach. Silly. But I guess that's how it goes with community and desire to be in certain markets. 

 

I just don't get it. I'd coach or play anywhere if I was making that much more than I make now. 

 

 

Ya the Torts thing was a bit of a mess. He wasn't Gillis' guy either the owners pushed hard to hire him and basically told Gillis what to do. Doomed to fail from the get go from a few reasons I think.

 

and i'm not trying to put Calgary down either. I love Calgary, lived her almost my entire life, and think its a great city and the Flames are a good franchise. However, there is also higher taxes than many places, pressure of a Canadian hockey city, brutal travel schedule, your in Canada (big deal for an American coach perhaps) and the Flames don't really have a marquee player that I think coaches would have a strong desire to coach. 

 

When you have multiple options lots of factors come into play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

 

I don't pretend to know what will happen with oil or COVID-19 next season, but I don't think there is going to be a big impact on team makeup.

The immediate need is to get fans back.

Poor playoffs or poor start to next season isn't going to do that.

Diluting the club to save money is going to hurt in the short and long term.

Fans will stay away, except for the die-hard fans that just want to see hockey live.

  

Will they shed contract that are not performing to the value?  Sure.

They are not going to continue to pay Bennett over $2m for a tough guy role.

If he isn't stepping up in the playoffs, then his value is marginal.

I'm not discounting the other thing he adds to the team, just being pragmatic.

Ryan will be here until he is passed by others for his faceoff and utility vale.

They may ship out Gio, but mostly to get younger or add a new leader.

When it comes to coaching, it's a matter of who gets the job done.

This playoffs is do or die for the coach.

 

When the new arena project costs begin, then you may see some movement in payroll.

It really depends on where they are as a team.

If they suck, they need to improve.

 

 

Plus I think that teams/players will have to pay back to escrow due to their contracts linked to revenue because players shouldn't get paid more than the 50% of revenue. 

I do wonder if coaches will be added to cap. 

 

I agree, if Bennett isn't improving, he probably moves on and ends up with $1M contracts for what he does. For me a big problem with his development is they're not even trying to develop him as a defensive specialist, or PK guy. His role is very marginal and minimal. Plus, they don't leave him in a consistent position or spot in the lineup. I really think that Bennett and Jankowski are at the crossroads. If they continue down their paths, I feel like they're done, if they take a different route and possibly they get short term deals or slight raises. I want to see some improvement from both. 

 

I don't see them trading Giordano, but if they did, it would be for your reasons. 

 

For me, I'd like to see the team get faster. I don't know how much of that is execution, but they're not as fast as they were. But you have high end guys who aren't the fastest players in Monahan and Tkachuk. I want to see the team quicker, and a bit bigger. I don't mind small skilled guys. Hell, I am 5ft 8 and go up against big players. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cross16 said:

 

Ya the Torts thing was a bit of a mess. He wasn't Gillis' guy either the owners pushed hard to hire him and basically told Gillis what to do. Doomed to fail from the get go from a few reasons I think.

 

and i'm not trying to put Calgary down either. I love Calgary, lived her almost my entire life, and think its a great city and the Flames are a good franchise. However, there is also higher taxes than many places, pressure of a Canadian hockey city, brutal travel schedule, your in Canada (big deal for an American coach perhaps) and the Flames don't really have a marquee player that I think coaches would have a strong desire to coach. 

 

When you have multiple options lots of factors come into play. 

 

What is it like for Canadians playing in the States? Do they have to pay any tax to Canada since being a Canadian citizen? I see online that in some cases Canada does tax Canadians when working abroad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

 

What is it like for Canadians playing in the States? Do they have to pay any tax to Canada since being a Canadian citizen? I see online that in some cases Canada does tax Canadians when working abroad.

 

It all depends on what ties you have to Canada.

If you own property, receive any dividends/interest from Canada (held by a Canadian bank), maintain your health care you would have to pay taxes.

The dumb thing is they have to pay US tax.

They get to deduct the tax from their Canadian tax owing though.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

 

What is it like for Canadians playing in the States? Do they have to pay any tax to Canada since being a Canadian citizen? I see online that in some cases Canada does tax Canadians when working abroad.

 

Depends on where they reside and where they own property/earn income. Players have to pay tax in every state/country they play ini and earn income in so it gets more complex than just looking at their salary and the state/province the team is located in. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...