Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
tmac70

Geoff Ward, Flames 18 th coach

Recommended Posts

Last week I was hearing a lot of, "with the Avs, 'yotes and Leafs coming up the Flames don't got it easy".

What would they like to talk about next? lol

The players are maturing. Everyone learns along the way.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, cross16 said:


yes but at the same time they decided Hartley was too hard, took advantage of Gulutzan being too nice, and then decided Peters was too hard. 
 

some point you just need to play for one another and battle through it. I’m just frustrated how this core seems to treat coaches. Always seems to be an excuse. 

 

You have success, you trust the coach.

When things start going south, you start to question.

Especially when the same things are rolled out and you are told to trust the process....for 30 games.

 

One thing has always been true, and that is the team knows how to battle back.

 

I would suggest that under a coach, the team gets better and better by using some of the teachings and some of their natural talents.

After a while, the coach tryies to reel in some of that.

The result is a return to losing.

You can;t always fix everything without hurting something that made you successful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Ward should have been the coach here a long time ago.   

 

This is my passive-aggressive way of showing support ;)

 

I was always frustrated that it wasn't given to him sooner.

 

That said, I don't think he can save this ship.   A short win-rally is pretty normal after a coaching change but IMHO our problems run deeper than the coaching level.   

 

It's a step in the right direction either way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, cross16 said:


yes but at the same time they decided Hartley was too hard, took advantage of Gulutzan being too nice, and then decided Peters was too hard. 
 

some point you just need to play for one another and battle through it. I’m just frustrated how this core seems to treat coaches. Always seems to be an excuse. 

I don't believe its a hard vs. soft.  Hartley was an Hash Rate, hard coaches can survive and thrive in sports (see Bill Belichik) they just have to respect the players and not act like god.  That was Hartley from what I've heard, Peters may also have Hash Rate traits based on whats come out.  Gully may have been softer, but some of his decisions are also a factor in his firing, ex. his love affair with Troy Brouwer in all key situations, terrible special teams, and leader of the most fragile team I've ever witnessed in my life in all sports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

 

Ward should have been the coach here a long time ago.   

 

This is my passive-aggressive way of showing support ;)

 

I was always frustrated that it wasn't given to him sooner.

 

That said, I don't think he can save this ship.   A short win-rally is pretty normal after a coaching change but IMHO our problems run deeper than the coaching level.   

 

It's a step in the right direction either way.


I think the biggest problems were that there were really only 2 lines capable of scoring. If they can find a way to keep it at 3 of 4 lines scoring, we could have something. 
 

I still think the roster has a few holes. The only reason I wonder if Dube is the real answer is because if/when we get into a toughness battle, the Flames most likely lose. 
 

honestly I just don’t think the team is cheap enough. I might include intense in that thought too. I see us as a nice guy team yet for some reason tend to get more penalties. 
 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, robrob74 said:


I think the biggest problems were that there were really only 2 lines capable of scoring. If they can find a way to keep it at 3 of 4 lines scoring, we could have something. 
 

I still think the roster has a few holes. The only reason I wonder if Dube is the real answer is because if/when we get into a toughness battle, the Flames most likely lose. 
 

honestly I just don’t think the team is cheap enough. I might include intense in that thought too. I see us as a nice guy team yet for some reason tend to get more penalties. 

 

 

How should I put this....

 

"no matter what happens"....I'd like to see the Flames give Geoff Ward 3-5 years and see what happens (given the information I have of course).

 

by "no matter what happens"....I mean.....everyone's super high on him this week but I can see people turning on him Real fast.  Faster than his predecessor.   I think he would be a good coach to have through a rebuild.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

 

 

How should I put this....

 

"no matter what happens"....I'd like to see the Flames give Geoff Ward 3-5 years and see what happens (given the information I have of course).

 

by "no matter what happens"....I mean.....everyone's super high on him this week but I can see people turning on him Real fast.  Faster than his predecessor.   I think he would be a good coach to have through a rebuild.

 

A coach is always going to be about results.

SJS had a good coach but he suffered from a GM that couldn;t seem to understand the value of guys that made them successful.

Little Joe and Donskoi were killers that were allowed to walk.

Their goalie was worse than Talbot but SJS scored enough to make a difference.

 

Wardo is a good coach that was stifled under BP.

Whether the results are there, he fits the mold of the new NHL.

He's already done what previous coaches could not do; turn around the team's play.

By the end of the year, the results and the way the team plays will be used as the measuring stick.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, JTech780 said:

 

Great quote


 

in our case we have a beagle. Sometimes loyal and sometimes doesn't back you up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, rickross said:

Laviolette is available now. Looks like the coaching dominoes are starting to fall

Apparently they are announcing their new coach tomorrow. Gut feeling tells me they hire Deboer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rickross said:

Laviolette is available now. Looks like the coaching dominoes are starting to fall

 

At least ours was due to previous indiscretions and not results based.

A couple of substance issues in other decisions.

 

I'm up and down about Laviolette.

He took a team molded by Trotz.

I don;t know what the issues are with the team this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

 

At least ours was due to previous indiscretions and not results based.

A couple of substance issues in other decisions.

 

I'm up and down about Laviolette.

He took a team molded by Trotz.

I don;t know what the issues are with the team this year.

I’d suggest him as a possible candidate next year,  but he too had some accusations of physical altercations when he was in Philly. BT probably can’t afford to hire him in case anything else comes out from Lavy’s past.

 

Trotz built the Preds program, but Laviolette gave them the swagger and made them who they are today. He took them from playoff team to perennial contender. Looks as though his shelf life ran out in Tennessee 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Laviolette also won a cup in Carolina and took some so/so Islanders teams to the playoffs. Can't pin any of his success on Trotz, he has a very impressive resume all on his own. 

 

I would think that the Flames would want to talk to him but he'll be in high demand and would likely take a bidding war for his services. See if the Flames want to go to that level.

 

not sure he's the greatest fit for what they have built unfortunately but he definitely get guys to buy in immediately. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Laviolette is one of only four coaches to take three different teams to the Stanley Cup Finals. He did it in '06 when he won with Carolina, again in 2010 with Philadelphia and again in 2017 with Nashville.

 

He is a very good coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don't see the Flames pulling the trigger.

He could clean up the D, but I'm not sure he would fit the group.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My question is, how long would it take Ward to get the stink of Peter's system off the team? How long does it take to get them playing the way he wants them to play and not looking out of whack?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, CalgarySTL said:

My question is, how long would it take Ward to get the stink of Peter's system off the team? How long does it take to get them playing the way he wants them to play and not looking out of whack?

 

I think that's an unfair term. While I didn't agree with the direction Peters was taking the team I also don't think it's a viable excuse for the lack of execution that has been there for most of the season. 

 

Ward has made a few subtle changes but IMO nothing drastic enough that would be a viable excuse that you could attribute to the coaching change. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if the Flames want Laviolette they need to talk to him right away and get him before the end of the season. Don't like their chances if they are going up against San Jose/Dallas, plus probably others, in the off-season. 

 

Interestingly enough it's the same scenario that landed them Darryl Sutter. He was their 3rd coach that season and they hired him mid season after SJ let him go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I think if the Flames want Laviolette they need to talk to him right away and get him before the end of the season. Don't like their chances if they are going up against San Jose/Dallas, plus probably others, in the off-season. 

 

Interestingly enough it's the same scenario that landed them Darryl Sutter. He was their 3rd coach that season and they hired him mid season after SJ let him go. 

 

The problem is, can they afford to hire a coach without going through weeks of background checks beforehand.

 

I think Laviolette is the right coach to target, but Treliving has to be careful after Peters.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

 

The problem is, can they afford to hire a coach without going through weeks of background checks beforehand.

 

I think Laviolette is the right coach to target, but Treliving has to be careful after Peters.

 

 

And this doesn't help.

 

 

I don't disagree I just don't think Calgary can compete with Dallas/SJ if all is equal so they will either need to bid up (are the owners going to do this?) or they need to get him in sooner. 

 

I'm not that convinced they NEED to do this or need to get him but if Treliving and co think so I think they have to move as fast as possible. For me, waiting until the off-season for a full search (and a full assessment of Geoff Ward) is the route I would go. 

 

but if they are committed to this core and winning with it in the next 2-3 years then I don't think you can pass on Laviolette. That's the decision they need to make IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d take Laviollette! Why the heck not? He’s got a proven record, Cup winner...his teams have consistently played well and have been hard to play against. He’d probably be the most accomplished HC hire we’ve had in a long time. Does he fit this club? Who knows?...but then again who does “fit”??...cuz we still haven’t found the right coach for this team. If BT is serious about winning he’d atleast consider Laviollette

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest I have no idea what kind of coach will work with this work. The fact the prevailing issues with this team, (slow starts, packing it in when the games get harder, lack of attention to detail in their own zone, etc.) have remained through several coaching changes and several different coaching philosophies, tells me the issues with this team aren't behind the bench.

 

I think Treliving needs to find the best coach available and go with that coach, and not worry about finding the best coach for this group. Then in the off season he needs to straighten out his core group.

 

As of right now Laviolette makes a lot of sense to me, just because of the fact that he wins everywhere he goes. A really close 2nd for me though is DeBoer, I thought he did a great job with San Jose, especially getting his team to the 3rd round last year with the leagues worst goaltending.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cross16 said:

 

And this doesn't help.

 

 

I don't disagree I just don't think Calgary can compete with Dallas/SJ if all is equal so they will either need to bid up (are the owners going to do this?) or they need to get him in sooner. 

 

I'm not that convinced they NEED to do this or need to get him but if Treliving and co think so I think they have to move as fast as possible. For me, waiting until the off-season for a full search (and a full assessment of Geoff Ward) is the route I would go. 

 

but if they are committed to this core and winning with it in the next 2-3 years then I don't think you can pass on Laviolette. That's the decision they need to make IMO. 

He still will find employment as he didn`t use  inappropriate words. We  have sure come along away from the sticks and stones or yesterday that words are more harmful than physical altercations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...