The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Carty

Kings @ Flames 8pm Dec 7

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

the thing is though, the numbers make him look worse than he has been. He has played good but the team hasn’t. This is where I think that a lot, down the road, can look at The numbers and judge

It's more that a good part of the time Talbot has been in net, it's both, games when neither he, or the rest of the team was playing well...

Talbot has looked good but the team makes him look bad.

The one game I can think of where Talbot had a good game even though the Flames lost, was against Dallas...   and I don't think any of us can say he looked bad that game...   

Talbot has made some great saves, but he has also had his share of wtf moments...

I think he has the confidence just no run support or team support. Hard to look good if the team isn’t. 

re bolded: Important word. and that is why I said...

3 hours ago, Carty said:

Let's hope this win helps Talbot gain some confidence, and also helps the team gain some confidence in Talbot...

It's a two way street, Talbot needs to regain more confidence, and the team needs to have confidence in him when he is in the net...

Talbot has been alright for a backup, but I think that he is still capable of playing at a higher level, more like he did in 16/17...   So do the Flames, and that is why they signed him at $2.75 mil...

I think the last couple of seasons with the Oil put a serious dent in his confidence, and who can blame him...   It would have been tough for any goaltender to come away without any scars...   Our D has started to look better again, and that should help...    But even last night, a couple of pucks got past him when he was playing too far back in the net, and a lot of goalies tend to do that when their confidence has been rattled...

As an old goalie I can be quite critical of things I see, but don't get me wrong here, I am not calling him washed up, as a matter of fact it is quite the opposite...   I think Talbot has the potential to regain his confidence and play at the level I believe he is still capable of...   Good enough that he can stick around for maybe another couple of seasons and  be a solution as a backup for the Flames while they work on finding out who could be the next one...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carty said:

It's more that a good part of the time Talbot has been in net, it's both, games when neither he, or the rest of the team was playing well...

The one game I can think of where Talbot had a good game even though the Flames lost, was against Dallas...   and I don't think any of us can say he looked bad that game...   

Talbot has made some great saves, but he has also had his share of wtf moments...

re bolded: Important word. and that is why I said...

It's a two way street, Talbot needs to regain more confidence, and the team needs to have confidence in him when he is in the net...

Talbot has been alright for a backup, but I think that he is still capable of playing at a higher level, more like he did in 16/17...   So do the Flames, and that is why they signed him at $2.75 mil...

I think the last couple of seasons with the Oil put a serious dent in his confidence, and who can blame him...   It would have been tough for any goaltender to come away without any scars...   Our D has started to look better again, and that should help...    But even last night, a couple of pucks got past him when he was playing too far back in the net, and a lot of goalies tend to do that when their confidence has been rattled...

As an old goalie I can be quite critical of things I see, but don't get me wrong here, I am not calling him washed up, as a matter of fact it is quite the opposite...   I think Talbot has the potential to regain his confidence and play at the level I believe he is still capable of...   Good enough that he can stick around for maybe another couple of seasons and  be a solution as a backup for the Flames while they work on finding out who could be the next one...

I think it might have been Conundrum or someone that mentioned that early, that he started to cut down angles better and not so deep. Could’ve been TMac. But it is why I think you gotta play him more often. Get the ratio up a bit, but still play Rittich as the starter. 

I've liked what I’ve seen from both. I get the bad goal thing, but every goalie lets in a bad one. It just looks worse when you’re losing. I think a few of the times, from my recollections, the game was already out of hand. Although Travel says it’s the first goal. But for me, the team doesn’t start on time, so it is a chicken or the egg situation. goaltending should come first but if the team doesn’t play, goalies can only do so much. 

I hope the team can continue to play better. They still have moments of lapses but for the most part they’re better. I think it can result in both.

being an ex goalie, you probably have a better eye, but I like to give the benefit to goalies more so when the team structure is flawed. I think you’d know how hard it is to get into a rhythm when the team struggles in front of you. I think not would end up second guessing each other. 

I know it is deflating when a goalie lets in the bad one. Sometimes that’s when you know you gotta try harder on D.