The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Carty

Pens @ Flames 7pm Dec 17

Jarry was the difference maker tonight. Calgary played well, sometimes you just have to tip your cap.

Talbot played well, let in a soft goal, but gave his team a chance to win.

Bennett had a pretty meaningless game.

Only stat - 1 giveaway.

No shots, hits, blocks.

Not that he was bad, just not moving the needle. 

This team remains inconsistent.

The winning streak was fun and cute and it’s cool they have fun at practice...

But the year long theme of struggling to take advantage of portions in the game when the Flames are better continues. The other team the past two games has taken full advantage when they’ve been the better team 

That’s now 2 losses in a row. The sched doesn’t get easier before the mini break

Just now, travel_dude said:

Bite your tongue.

We wills start a 7 game win streak.

We better start a 7+ game streak here. Can’t afford to lose any ground as we’re still well within reach of the division. Just hope the Ward honeymoon hasn’t come to an end 

Frustrating game. Flames with another excellent 1st period but don’t capitalize and then a terrible 2nd period lets a team back in the game and ultimately gave it over to them

not an acceptable practice on home ice if you want to be a good team. They gave that game away. 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Frustrating game. Flames with another excellent 1st period but don’t capitalize and then a terrible 2nd period lets a team back in the game and ultimately gave it over to them

not an acceptable practice on home ice if you want to be a good team. They gave that game away. 

yup! 

plus good teams don’t usually have many losing streaks. It is time to put an end to this one already . 

how are the lines looking after the few games that they’ve been together? 

6 hours ago, robrob74 said:

yup! 

plus good teams don’t usually have many losing streaks. It is time to put an end to this one already . 

Tkachuk and Mangiapane are just not converting.

They look good, but not on the scoresheet.

Dube's line is real good.

Backlund is an extra on Monahan's line, but they are getting chances.

4th line with Bennett was okay.

Bennett added nothing, IMHO.

I don;t know if the lines are the problem.

Great 1st.

Big pushback from the Pens in the 2nd.

Not much in the 3rd and pulled goalie setup ended the game pretty quick.

By the time they got going in the 3rd, there wasn;t enough time to win 5v5.

Watch the 2 on 0 rush that Dube had.  

A few passes too many turned it into a easy save.

13 hours ago, robrob74 said:

yup! 

Bit of a mixed bag for me. On one hand the overall team game the Flames played was good. i thought they were the better team and controlled most of the play and really didn't give up a lot either. The only reason this game is frustrating is they took their foot off the gas for the 2nd period and got sloppy, but outside of that they were strong. 

But for me, I think Lindholm at center is taking away offensive opportunities and I personally really hated the Backs-Mony-Gaudreau line. I thought they were awful in the last 40 mins and just got shelled in the d zone. Backs is a little more hesitant on the wing and both Mony-Gaudreau were fly by defending last night. 

So not sure changing the lines is necessary or will yield different results, but I'm not in love with them either. Thought the bottom 6 was excellent though. Benny-Redier-Frolik was their best line last night I thought. Certainly most consistent. 

50 minutes ago, cross16 said:

But for me, I think Lindholm at center is taking away offensive opportunities and I personally really hated the Backs-Mony-Gaudreau line. I thought they were awful in the last 40 mins and just got shelled in the d zone. Backs is a little more hesitant on the wing and both Mony-Gaudreau were fly by defending last night. 

So not sure changing the lines is necessary or will yield different results, but I'm not in love with them either. Thought the bottom 6 was excellent though. Benny-Redier-Frolik was their best line last night I thought. Certainly most consistent. 

Perhaps the easiest thing to do is move Backlund to play with Tkachuk.

Lindy would stay on the line, and let them alternate for faceoffs.

Put Mangiapane or Dube with Monahan and Johnny.

That leaves the bottom 6 more or less in tact.

I think that either Mange or Dube would provide some skill that Backlund isn't able to provide right now.