The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Carty

Nucks @ Flames 7:30pm Dec 29

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

This is actually surprising and is some way, good news. 10 pts feel like a lot but when you consider how the season has gone?

20 vs 25 wins. We’re at an 80% clip compared to last year... 

If the second half mirrors the first, our record will be 40-32-10... good for 90 points... I don’t like that projection. Do we anticipate the second half will be easier? We’ll definitely have to earn more wins than we have thus far if we want a ticket for the playoffs. 

22 minutes ago, rickross said:

Flames are done if they can’t string together some solid win streaks throughout the 2nd half of the season. 1 won and lose 1 isn’t gonna cut it moving forward. 

This kind of reminds me of GG's second season. They had losing streaks then went on I think two big ones, but couldn't string together enough little streaks to get them into the playoffs. We need a more little winning streaks than longer losing ones to get there. We aren't out, but I feel like taking teams lightly isn't a recipe for success. 

Plus, we need Gaudreau to eat lower skilled teams alive, and he was pretty silent night tonight. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

If the second half mirrors the first, our record will be 40-32-10... good for 90 points... I don’t like that projection. Do we anticipate the second half will be easier? We’ll definitely have to earn more wins than we have thus far if we want a ticket for the playoffs. 

It is kind of what scares me. The games are only going to get harder from here on out. Can they play when it is tough? I feel like teams have generally tried harder against us this year compared to the start of last year. Last year teams kind of took their foot off the gas and we saw a bunch of comebacks and some wins that looked easy. I think if they can get their team game together, they can win. But they're having a hard time doing that. 

Sad result tonight but still optimistic for the remaining season. 😉

Let's start by using the Hawks as a punching bag New Year's Eve!

Perhaps see you all here....

8 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

Easier or not doesn’t matter nor is it the point. 

in a first half where a ton of crap has happened and gone wrong they are 9 points behind a team that had a lot go right for them. 

everything is right there for them 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

in a first half where a ton of crap has happened and gone wrong they are 9 points behind a team that had a lot go right for them. 

The simple math is, they're a point or a win out of a divisional spot and in a wildcard. It is reason to be optimistic. But I feel like the team has basically played to that standard this year anyway. 

Is that what we really are? 

It is what we thought we were to start the year last season, and the only thing that has changed is a year older and a better goalie situation. I think we are more of a 4-6 in the standings/conference than a wildcard though. 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Re: the bolded. My original question was tongue-in-cheek. But I agree, easier is nowhere close to where this team needs to focus. 

The division does seem there for the taking, but this team has to decide that’s what they want to do, and then go do it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lou44291 said:

Considering what this team went through already, the 2nd half seems like a breeze.

Only Toronto is doing better after a coaching change, and that is with the benefit of over 15m LTIR.

We need to stop running Rittich into the ground.

Talbot has proven he can stop the puck.

Also, please review game tapes where the PP actually worked.

And consider re-soing the 2nd PP unit.

I am actually amazed that we are mid pack on the PP.

14 hours ago, robrob74 said:

At least someone said it! 

Torts can be an asshat, but he is right on this one....   The 1st clip is the presser, and the 2nd clip shows what Torts is PO'ed about...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/blue-jackets-tortorella-rants-ridiculous-end-ot-vs-blackhawks

The cartoon I posted back a page was not directed at last nights game against the Nucks, it was an intended as a comment on the overall state of the quality of the job the refs and linesmen are doing league wide...   It sucks, and yet Bettman does nothing to fix it...   The league could easily start to fix this by suspending officials for a few games without pay for the most serious, and obvious mistakes...   Maybe that would get the ref associations attention...

• Like 1