The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Carty

Rags @ Flames 7pm Jan 2

40 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Tonight my stream is good.🤪

:rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

Wish I could be watching instead of listening.

Have you guys met yet?...    :)

16 minutes ago, Carty said:

It's not polite to watch another guy's stream.

20 minutes ago, Carty said:

Lol. I'd probably be streaming it myself but I'm at work without wi-fi and listening uses far less data.

Tried watching tonight, at my spouses’ family’s cabin on Hornby Island. The lady started bawling thinking I wasn’t invested in the getaway. We listened to her audiobook all the way here, and I open the game and boom! lol 

glad we are ahead, hope they’re playing well.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Tried watching tonight, at my spouses’ family’s cabin on Hornby Island. The lady started bawling thinking I wasn’t invested in the getaway. We listened to her audiobook all the way here, and I open the game and boom! lol 

Haha, we’ve all been there!

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

LOL! Like Thebrewcrew said, we've all been there

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Haha, we’ve all been there!

44 minutes ago, CalgarySTL said:

LOL! Like Thebrewcrew said, we've all been there

haha! Yup. The only hobby she isn’t into me following. Oh well. 

Tomorrow we will be watching movies, and reading books, and I will be doing artwork while she knits. 

funny thing is, I’d have gone to all of the art museums with Hamilton if I was his teammate. Odd that that was an issue Hahahaha 

• Like 2

Was not pretty. Don’t think the coaches will he doing a deep dive into that game film as there was a below avg level of execution there. Not sure what the flames can do to get back to the level of last year at this point. 

on a positive note they had great jump off the start, won the game and Gaudreau and Monahan carried them. Both were very good, especially Monahan. 

That was weird game.

Have to give Talbot some credit, he bounced back after a shakey start and held the fort and gave the team the win.

Also the team as a whole showed some mental fortitude, because I have seen them collapse after giving up 2 goal leads in the past. Need more of that.

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

Was not pretty. Don’t think the coaches will he doing a deep dive into that game film as there was a below avg level of execution there. Not sure what the flames can do to get back to the level of last year at this point. 

on a positive note they had great jump off the start, won the game and Gaudreau and Monahan carried them. Both were very good, especially Monahan. 

I actually think that over the last few years other teams were content to let the team have possession. No real threat if you’re not getting great chances. It’s why it surprised me that we’d be winning the fancy stats when it didn’t feel like we were getting good chances. We had shots, but to me, shots at the goalies’ logo is really poor choice in shot. It’s what I thought was happening. And even now, half of the high danger chances aren’t dangerous at all, like how I saw it in the past too. I always felt that if the other teams put in effort they’d take us .500 of the time. 
so I am not surprised by this. 

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Have to give Talbot some credit, he bounced back after a shakey start and held the fort and gave the team the win.

Last night his SV% was only .889...   Not one of his better nights for save percentage. but as it turned out, it was still good enough for the win...

Talbot's career SV% is .915, and so far this season he has a .913 SV%...

Rittich has been a little shaky for a few games, and Talbot has been doing about as well as I would have expected...   So I am actually starting to like him a bit better in his role as a backup...

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I actually think that over the last few years other teams were content to let the team have possession. No real threat if you’re not getting great chances. It’s why it surprised me that we’d be winning the fancy stats when it didn’t feel like we were getting good chances. We had shots, but to me, shots at the goalies’ logo is really poor choice in shot. It’s what I thought was happening. And even now, half of the high danger chances aren’t dangerous at all, like how I saw it in the past too. I always felt that if the other teams put in effort they’d take us .500 of the time. 
so I am not surprised by this. 

Come on man, give them some credit for a great season.

They won because they were relentless on the attack.

Cycle for 45 seconds and you wear out the D.

They have had a tough schedule this year, but I'm not giving them a pass for it.

Lousy start to the season.

The coach lost the room, which can happen when all you do is point out the bad.

We lose a lot of games because of poor defensive zone coverage.

When you start in a hole, it's tough to get out of it.

There are problems, but all teams have them.

Consistency is one we have.

Then again, the rotation of healthy scratches is perplexing.

Missing that stud #2RW.

Having a up and down 2nd pair.

It's fixble, but you can always trade yourself out of the problems.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Come on man, give them some credit for a great season.

They won because they were relentless on the attack.

Cycle for 45 seconds and you wear out the D.

They have had a tough schedule this year, but I'm not giving them a pass for it.

Lousy start to the season.

The coach lost the room, which can happen when all you do is point out the bad.

We lose a lot of games because of poor defensive zone coverage.

When you start in a hole, it's tough to get out of it.

There are problems, but all teams have them.

Consistency is one we have.

Then again, the rotation of healthy scratches is perplexing.

Missing that stud #2RW.

Having a up and down 2nd pair.

It's fixble, but you can always trade yourself out of the problems.

see I saw the same problems even when winning last year. We started slow a lot of the times, which doesn’t necessarily mean that they played from behind all of the time, just that it was a sleeper first, and slow starts in the second and then they’d pour it on in the second half of the game. It was their average and not A winning formula. It worked for the first half last year because they scored the most goals in the 3rd. But when teams are ready for it, it doesn’t work. 

I get I should give them more credit, but as I watched that’s what I saw. I took flack for having that mindset last year too, when we were winning. And I see it the same now. Yes they got better as the game went on, and looked relentless. But I also think other teams were lulled to sleep by how slow the Flames would typically start most games. 

I remember starts and finishes of periods to be a big problem, and it’s like you say, the defensive zone coverage thing. I felt they were bad at it last year as well. The biggest problem this year is they’re not scoring the goals to make up for them like they did last year. 

I just don;t buy into the idea that the Flames lost becuase of the way they played in the latter part of last season.

There was nothing familiar with the team that lost to COL.

We won a lot of games in the third by being relentless.

A 2 goal lead going into the third is a tough thing to do.

Especially if we possessed the puck for a lot if the game.

It just wears out a team trying to defend.

That’s where I differ. Sure they didn’t look like the same team, but they also didn’t face adversity until the allstar break. And once that happened they looked like the team that lost to the Avs. 

10 hours ago, robrob74 said:

That’s where I differ. Sure they didn’t look like the same team, but they also didn’t face adversity until the allstar break. And once that happened they looked like the team that lost to the Avs. 

The adversity they did face was Rittich being injured, but still they managed 16 wins and 2 OT/SO losses for the next two months.  16-10-2.

Feb 8-3-2

March 8-7

Agree to disagree.  They were a no-show in the playoffs.  Gio was crap.  The top line got crapped on.  We took way too many penalties to win a game.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

The adversity they did face was Rittich being injured, but still they managed 16 wins and 2 OT/SO losses for the next two months.  16-10-2.

Feb 8-3-2

March 8-7

Agree to disagree.  They were a no-show in the playoffs.  Gio was crap.  The top line got crapped on.  We took way too many penalties to win a game.

you can quote wins all day and I will still disagree. They played like crap but still won games. It was ugly. The Ryan line kept them afloat and I think any Flames fan who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves. They were a one line team all year. It was Gaudreau’s line for the first half and then it was the Ryan line for the second half. Tkachuk scores on the PP and once in awhile the Backd line showed up. 

when other teams focus on Gaudreau this team looks like a middling team or bottom feeder. It was the same in the last 30 games. Those games you quoted, a lot If sins were against non playoff teams. Plus they barely beat them.

30 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Those games you quoted, a lot If sins were against non playoff teams. Plus they barely beat them.

They had some pretty good games last March...

Some of them would include when they beat the Knights 6 - 3, Devils 9 - 4, Rags 5 - 1, Sens 5 - 1, and the Ducks 6 - 1...   So it wasn't that bad...   But then the wheels fell off in the first round against the Avs...

36 minutes ago, Carty said:

They had some pretty good games last March...

Some of them would include when they beat the Knights 6 - 3, Devils 9 - 4, Rags 5 - 1, Sens 5 - 1, and the Ducks 6 - 1...   So it wasn't that bad...   But then the wheels fell off in the first round against the Avs...

I will concede. Gaudreau did show up once in awhile in order to get his 99 points. The team was really a different team after the break. We all remember things differently and read games differently.

most of the year I was waiting for most of the team to show up, then when another line finally got going the first line slowed down. 

we see the results of that now. Teams know how to beat the Flames.