The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Carty

Flames @ Wild 5pm Jan 5

As much as the team is not playing good in front, we haven't been getting NHL level goal tending lately.

We will never be a playoff team if this is what Rittich is playing like.

What a pityfull PP.

Passes in traffic to guys in traffic.

And of course they ignore the hold on Backlund.

Typical Flames game so far...trailing by the 1st period already. Soon as the tie the game up they give up another goal in less than 1 minute. Now Minny will go in shut down mode the rest of the game. We are not ready for the playoffs. 

• Like 1

If Looch stays on this pace, he will score one more goal than Neal did last season...

My issue with this team is how ineffective they’ve been at asserting their game.m this year. They are a reactionary team. They seem to wait for the other team to set the tempo and pace, once we relinquish the lead our mindset go into “playing from behind” mode. It’s like the Flames are never in control of games, just always having to react to their opponents. 

Rittich could be playing better but that's is some spotty defending by the Flames. Not all his fault

execution level once again poor tonight. Nothing more soccer at practice can't fix I'm sure. 

• Like 2

Three goals against.

Two of three were breakdowns after having possession.

The penalty was a results of pressure and a needless trip.

The only positive thing I can say is that Stalok is no Dubie.

We should be able to get 4 on him.

As long as Rittich is able to get back his net.

He's lost it too much.

5 minutes ago, rickross said:

My issue with this team is how ineffective they’ve been at asserting their game.m this year. They are a reactionary team. They seem to wait for the other team to set the tempo and pace, once we relinquish the lead our mindset go into “playing from behind” mode. It’s like the Flames are never in control of games, just always having to react to their opponents. 

I think it was similar last year. Sure we had the puck more by the end of the game, but they started slow almost every game. It took them, usually, the first half of the 1st or whole 1st to get going. They played well in spurts last year but took advantage of the chances they got and got rewarded. This year they don’t look as good and aren’t getting rewarded when they do. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rickross said:

What about Dale Hunter as a coaching candidate?

Owns the London Knights and has already rejected many inquiries to coach at the NHL level. Highly unlikely candidate. 

I think it might be time to give Peter DeBoer a call. Not that coaching is the issue with this team, but DeBoer is a quality coach, and we need some structure back in our game.

6 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think it was similar last year. Sure we had the puck more by the end of the game, but they started slow almost every game. It took them, usually, the first half of the 1st or whole 1st to get going. They played well in spurts last year but took advantage of the chances they got and got rewarded. This year they don’t look as good and aren’t getting rewarded when they do. 

Slow starts haven't been the issue in the last 15-20 games.

Getting scored on 3/9 shots is not a good look.

The scores don't necessarily match the effort.

Sustained effort for 60 minutes has.

Good start, followed by 2nd period crap.

Two good period followed by a bad.

Outscored in a first or too close for breathing room.

Mistakes happen, and we get burned almost every time, or it leads to an excessive amount of zone time.

But it makes for great discussion.