The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Carty

Flames @ Wild 5pm Jan 5

5 minutes ago, A_Flame_in_Oiler_Land said:

Good let's hope we are awake and Talbot starts

Yeah, I don't get why Talbot isn't starting a few more right now.

Rittich gave up three goals in the last three games, all in the 1st period.

6 minutes ago, cross16 said:

The efforts have been good last couple games, it's just the execution. Lack of attention to detail in the dzone and still can't get up the ice clean. 

Finding ways to get points but so much to clean up. 

Yeah, I don't know if it's a continueation of the same coaching strategies or just falling asleep at the wheel.

Ward isn't doing anything really different than BP, but his methods are better.

The better team didn’t win this one. We were fortunate. Every time we squared up the score, we exhaled and let them take advantage. This team gets satisfied way too easy, and that’ll come back to haunt us every time whether it be losses or injury as a result. 

Hamonic was a beast and I was swearing at the tv for ward to call on Dube for the shootout because of the monster game he had. Wouldn’t you know it, the guy who was hungry ended the game in our favour. Some of these guys don’t look like they give a Satoshi Nakamoto on their shootout attempt - I’d tell’em they can watch other players get the opportunity in their place for the next one. You want to be called upon when the game is on the line? Show me. 

• Like 1

Fortunate win. Not sure how anyone thinks this clubs played well. We got lucky by beating a team who just played a b2b against their back up, start the parade. This club has a large variety of defects. Was extremly happy to see Dube rewarded. We do need a serious up grade in our coach, seems like a nice guy but this is not what this club needs

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tmac70 said:

Fortunate win. Not sure how anyone thinks this clubs played well. We got lucky by beating a team who just played a b2b against their back up, start the parade. This club has a large variety of defects. Was extremly happy to see Dube rewarded. We do need a serious up grade in our coach, seems like a nice guy but this is not what this club needs

Pretty easy to see the issues with this game.

Defense unable to make simple plays to exit the zone.

Poor goaltending for a period.

Minny playing 2 B2B games at home; boohoo.

No travel.

The positives for this game are small:

Scoring is coming back

Ugly goals are returning, just from going to the net

Stone was not a reason we almost lost

Goals from the D

13 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Yeah, I don't know if it's a continueation of the same coaching strategies or just falling asleep at the wheel.

Ward isn't doing anything really different than BP, but his methods are better.

I think there have been changes. Ward has certainly up'd the tempo and i think he's done so by not preaching the same strict North-South game Peters was. Under Peters this year you weren't really seeing many dmen rush the puck and you wren't seeing many cross ice passes in the neutral zone. It was north-south, dump and chase hockey that i think Peters started to implement last year. I see more Ward trying to get them back more to what they were the first half off last year, a team that relies on short crisp passes to move the puck up the ice and break in with possession. 

So some of this can be attributed to change, but at the same time even under Peters breakout passes were in guys feet or behind them. So I don't think it's fair to pin this on change, even thought i do think there is change taking place. Many players, especially the likes of Gaudreau, Monahan, Backlund, Gio, Hamonic (although Monahan is coming around) have just been off on this all year. 

It's part of the reason that while I get the idea behind the soccer, it's hard not to get frustrated when you see sub optimal execution on the ice but they are playing games at practice. 

Don't get me wrong I find the lack of execution and continuous flow to their game frustrating too. 

but at the same time they got down multiple times, twice due to bad goaltending, and still stuck with their plan, outworked the opposition and came back and won the game. To dump on them or suggest the better team didn't win? I don't think that's fair. 

Frustrating elements, but I thought the Flames fully deserved to win that game because there effort was good from the get go and they didn't give up. Winning ugly shouldn't be considered a negative all the time. 

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think there have been changes. Ward has certainly up'd the tempo and i think he's done so by not preaching the same strict North-South game Peters was. Under Peters this year you weren't really seeing many dmen rush the puck and you wren't seeing many cross ice passes in the neutral zone. It was north-south, dump and chase hockey that i think Peters started to implement last year. I see more Ward trying to get them back more to what they were the first half off last year, a team that relies on short crisp passes to move the puck up the ice and break in with possession. 

So some of this can be attributed to change, but at the same time even under Peters breakout passes were in guys feet or behind them. So I don't think it's fair to pin this on change, even thought i do think there is change taking place. Many players, especially the likes of Gaudreau, Monahan, Backlund, Gio, Hamonic (although Monahan is coming around) have just been off on this all year. 

It's part of the reason that while I get the idea behind the soccer, it's hard not to get frustrated when you see sub optimal execution on the ice but they are playing games at practice. 

This part of the reason I wonder if it might be better use of assets to go after a puck moving defenseman like Brandon Montour or Colin Miller from Buffalo as opposed to another forward.

Having another defenseman to get the puck going in the right direction and to help with breakouts could go a long way in jump starting this offense.

Giordano-Montour

Hanifin-Andersson

Brodie-Hamonic

It would really solidify our D core.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Don't get me wrong I find the lack of execution and continuous flow to their game frustrating too. 

but at the same time they got down multiple times, twice due to bad goaltending, and still stuck with their plan, outworked the opposition and came back and won the game. To dump on them or suggest the better team didn't win? I don't think that's fair. 

Frustrating elements, but I thought the Flames fully deserved to win that game because there effort was good from the get go and they didn't give up. Winning ugly shouldn't be considered a negative all the time. 

I get down on specific players in games, when I see crap.

But I am not of the belief that the Flames are a shoddy team that barely is able to win and is due to regress further.

We see the team show up at the same time n some games.

We tend to call them the best effort of the season.

So, the game is there, just need to figure out how to get it more consistently.

Especially for a game, not just parts.

It's been some time since a goalie stole a game for us.

Yes, there have been ones that the only reason why it wasn;t a blowout was the goalie.

But that's not enough.

Not if we hope to climb out of the wild card spot.

Need to steal a few games here and there, due to the goalie.

The Oilers won games in the early part of the season they did not deserve to win.

Their goalies stole it for them.

Sure they have come back to earth, but they banked points from that.