The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Carty

Oil @ Flames 8pm Jan 11

eaca62eb51faa2ba1bffa8de02696b1a.png                VS       6d96b18046a493048cdf2c183d3e9ac3.png

47edcd90fd53dd23ba8ae5f47c119532.png   981fcdd21b11e47accfb804bdcab0562.gif

Jan. 11th 8pm

2feccb595a99e6be57b996977330933a.png   f2e17d7a7cb4a836f9f1f8a8ca413a71.png   0e5da2aadef2013519036d4d5558680b.png

99e7e20a506c7f0e7cc4dde3aa117094.png

Home at the Dome

100ef926f6689cfb554d8f468e5a6a03.png

• Like 9

projected_top.jpg

***LINES COULD CHANGE***

3510020a2c0ae7976f83db6c8d2823f5.png

ba591a24df64e7f5a1ccd20277f6690e.png                                         e2ab0ddf22061ecfc883587003f30123.png

GOALTENDERS

4edc0ea4fa7fb64d8fe6b0ed92d65877.png

• Like 7

This is one game where Bennett can excel.

He will get a lot of shifts against McD.

Tkachuk will probably see more Draisaitl.

One of them will get a goal, perhaps, but the rest of the team sucks.

Nuge has good games against us, but his linemates are lesser lights these days.

Crush the Oirers.

Go for 1st place.

Excited for another installment of the BOA. 

Let's make it 2-0 on the season.

Smitty has played well in 2020, but Talbot has been better.

Should be a great game. GFG!!

3 minutes ago, Carty said:

e29959a6fd6a5cfc30efcb5baf50cf8e.png

The game starter lines.

Dressing all our ex-Oilers tonight I see.

I feel that Janko would have been a better choice as he tends to play the Oilers well (IIRC).

But Rieder with Bennett to alternate draws is fine.

Funny, but I would not have played Rinaldo with Bennett.

He's a good checker/forechecker, but he can only play about 7 minutes against a team with skilled top players.

Well, Ward just needs to be careful.

Bennett can shut down McD by himself.

Overall, every line has two speedy players.

My concern will be the D.

If we are running the 2nd pair, Hanifin needs to stop pinching and leaving Hamonic trying to get back on 2 on 1's. 

25 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I feel that Janko would have been a better choice as he tends to play the Oilers well (IIRC).

But Rieder with Bennett to alternate draws is fine.

I don't mind Janko sitting out, he needs to give his head a shake and start playing at the level we all know he can, and he needs to start to make that kind of effort consistently...

Funny, but I would not have played Rinaldo with Bennett.

He's a good checker/forechecker, but he can only play about 7 minutes against a team with skilled top players.

I'm ok with that line...   Hard to put either one of them on a different line without messing up a different line...

Well, Ward just needs to be careful.

Bennett can shut down McD by himself.

Brodie has also shown he is capable of keeping McD corralled...   McD is one speedy bastard,so it's always a team effort to keep him off the scoreboard...

Overall, every line has two speedy players.

My concern will be the D.

If we are running the 2nd pair, Hanifin needs to stop pinching and leaving Hamonic trying to get back on 2 on 1's. 

Hanafin and Hamonic have both been around long enough that the should know their limitations, and what works for them, and what doesn't...   That said, the coaching staff should be pointing those things out to them on a constant basis until it sticks...   The talent s there, but sometimes I have to wonder if they are not being given enough direction...   The potential is there for them to be a great second pairing...   

1 hour ago, Carty said:

I don't mind Janko sitting out, he needs to give his head a shake and start playing at the level we all know he can, and he needs to start to make that kind of effort consistently...

I'm ok with that line...   Hard to put either one of them on a different line without messing up a different line...

Brodie has also shown he is capable of keeping McD corralled...   McD is one speedy bastard,so it's always a team effort to keep him off the scoreboard...

Hanafin and Hamonic have both been around long enough that the should know their limitations, and what works for them, and what doesn't...   That said, the coaching staff should be pointing those things out to them on a constant basis until it sticks...   The talent s there, but sometimes I have to wonder if they are not being given enough direction...   The potential is there for them to be a great second pairing...   

My issue with Bennett and Rinaldo on one line is the propensity for either to take penalties.

Bennett will do it when the line is caught watching.

Rinaldo does it from over the top aggression.

He has a label and the refs tend to look at numbers when doling out penalties.

Yeah, I don't have an issue with TJ.

He's able to track anyone.

His goofy backhand zone passes are a little worrisome against a team that cheats to the O-zone blueline.

Hanifin is a concern in the neutral and O-zone when playing with Hamonic.

He doesn't recognize where his partner is and whether someone is covering his spot.

I can count at least 3 times in recent memory where we get scored on because Hamonic can't cover the 2 on 1.

And if Hanifin manages to get back, he will leave the open man and go to help Hamonic.

At least Kylington will finish his play on offense and be back ready to cover.

Obviously the coach has pointed it out enough, but it doesn't seem to stick every game.

On the bright side, the Oilers think they can cruise to victory with their recent success.

Koskinen is a wild card.

He can be downright stingy or he can be what he has been in the last 5 games; crappy.

Yet another edition of the BOA! 

I'm really interested to see how Talby plays, if he can get us the win here. I don't see how you can't continue to give him more starts. 

Hope we can get Smitty in the game tonight, high glove side on Koski a few times should do the trick. 

Flames are icing a tough lineup and I hope they use that to get in the face of RNH, Nurse, Bear, Yamamamato. 

It's not easy to play at home against a rival, another quick goal to start would be great - it doesn't have to be in the first minute this time, but here's hoping. 

GFG!

Kylington and Anderson against the Drasaitl line at home is some brutal coaching from Ward.