The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Carty

Oil @ Flames 8pm Jan 11

I feel the flames can keep shooting and clean things up defensively they'll win no probalem. Just can't keep making these defensive mistakes 

Just now, cross16 said:

I feel the flames can keep shooting and clean things up defensively they'll win no probalem. Just can't keep making these defensive mistakes 

A couple of missed shots/weird plays shows that the chances were there fot the taking.

But the D needs to stop giving up the entries.

Maybe Hanifin had no chance on stopping McD, but it seems like we have heard/seen this in successive games.

I don't mind giving up and not pinching if the result is not a breakaway. 

6 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Kassian charging a lot out there tonight.

And yet only Kylngton on D has hits.

None for Gio or Hamonic.

AT least Bennett and Tkachuk are hitting.

There have been a few plays I would consider picks, but they weren't called.

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

A couple of missed shots/weird plays shows that the chances were there fot the taking.

But the D needs to stop giving up the entries.

Maybe Hanifin had no chance on stopping McD, but it seems like we have heard/seen this in successive games.

I don't mind giving up and not pinching if the result is not a breakaway. 

I think he has to read the situation better, know when to pinch. Hanifin is fast but once he steps forward instead of going back to defend, he lost a few on McD and can’t recover. Plus, it’s where our other D has to read and back up a lot more to cover a possible breakaway, especially with McD on the ice.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

And yet only Kylngton on D has hits.

None for Gio or Hamonic.

AT least Bennett and Tkachuk are hitting.

There have been a few plays I would consider picks, but they weren't called.

yup, I just see Kassian winding up halfway across the ice to make a hit. He’s doing that every chance he gets. 

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

I think he has to read the situation better, know when to pinch. Hanifin is fast but once he steps forward instead of going back to defend, he lost a few on McD and can’t recover. Plus, it’s where our other D has to read and back up a lot more to cover a possible breakaway, especially with McD on the ice.

To be fair, McD jumped on.

But that is not even close to the only time Hanifin has done it.

I think sometimes he feels like he doesn;t need coaching since he's been around so long.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Something is up with Gaudreau, he’s playing scared. He is rushing plays and throwing the puck elsewhere when someone is only remotely close. He used to challenge defenders and attack, now he’s making lazy plays and avoiding traffic at all costs... maybe he’s nursing an injury, maybe his confidence is down, I don’t know but it’s no surprise to me why he’s not producing more. 

Flames need something to get back into here. Not a very good period at all for them so far