The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Carty

Oil @ Flames 8pm Jan 11

What a great game. The game was fast, physical, and emotional. 

Tkachuk knows when he is in the head of an opponent and exploits it. He does it to Doughty and he does it to Kassian and it's awesome. That 4 minute PP was the game changer. 

If Lucic gets suspended for punching a player who wasn't ready to fight then Kassian deserves a suspension as well.

Talbot has been fantastic in this stretch and he might be the biggest reason we are in 1st place in the division right now.

The Tkachuk-Lindholm-Mangiapane line was great and went toe to toe with McDavid line most of the night.

That might have been Monahan's best 200 foot game in his career and it was for sure the best game this season.

Brodie was great today and used his skating ability to keep the Oilers to the outside.

I thought one key to this game was that Ward was willing to roll all 4 lines and 4 lines stepped up and played their rolls and played well.

So McDavid likes to try and kick peeps in the nuts?

Was watching a replay of their last powerplay and saw this,  and thought wth lol.

Great game for the most part. 

All the lines had great shifts but again I was most impressed with Lucic - Ryan - Dube. They just do everything right.

One little side-note: I think the officials need a refresher on the offside rule, because if we have a player in their zone after the puck comes out but the other team passes it back into their own zone and said Flame steals it away, that is NOT offside. I've seen it wrongfully whistled down SO many times (twice this game) and it drives me absolutely crazy.

15 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

ha ha simpsons GIF

Good stuff. Hopefully a suspension.

If Lucic gets 2 games for the punch on Zadorov then what should Kassian get?

• Like 1

They continue to find ways to win and that was a very entertaining game. There was no flame player that I would say was not emotionally engaged in this one. 

Bennett again really stepped up in this one. That line wound up against ether McDavid or Draistle multiple times and didn’t miss a beat. I really think the flames should be making Bennett into a shutdown center. He’s shown some very impressive traits in that role. 

but lots of holes and some pretty questionable parts of their game right now especially on the defensive side. I don’t think this team has really settled on how they want to defend 5 on 5. It’s a mess in their own zone. Talbot and goaltending in general is the biggest reason behind this win streak which is somewhat problematic 

7 hours ago, GDyAllen said:

So McDavid likes to try and kick peeps in the nuts?

Was watching a replay of their last powerplay and saw this,  and thought wth lol.

I saw that too...   McD gave Backlund a deliberate tap in the nutz with his foot after the whistle with 28 seconds left in the PP, and 7:02 minutes left in the 3rd...   It wasn't that hard a kick, but that isn't really the point here...   He kicked him on purpose, it was a dirtbag move, and as usual it was after the whistle...   The point here is more that McD has a habit of douchebag infractions after the whistle, and he always gets away with it...   Other players would end up in the box, and that is what should happen to McD as well...

Great Game! 

Loved watching Kassian get lit up like an Xmas tree on 3 different occasions - you would think he would learn after the first, keep his head up and watch for this stuff - but he's a very dumb player - his coach said as much after the game. There's no way a heavy weight should be taking those kind of hits from a middle weight, but its glorious. He deserves a 3 game suspension based on Looch getting 2 for much less. 

• Like 1

A couple of things that I liked about the game last night...   The Flames won 55% of the faceoffs, and outhit the Oil 29 - 20...   Gotta like that...

The remaining games against the Oil this season are going to be intense...   The BOA is back...

15 minutes ago, Carty said:

A couple of things that I liked about the game last night...   The Flames won 55% of the faceoffs, and outhit the Oil 29 - 20...   Gotta like that...

The remaining games against the Oil this season are going to be intense...   The BOA is back...

What was funny was after 20 minutes, the Oilers had won 76%.

We cut into that the rest of the night.

The penalty on Hanifin was a joke.

Yammer bailed at the line and bowled over Hanifin.

His intent was to hit Yammer, but never got the chance.

This compared to incident that were not called.

The Oilers are a dirty team.

McD gets frustrated and does little douchey things.

Larsson hauls down players or holds onto them because he can;t skate.

Nurse is a goon looking for a fight.

Kassian is effective at hitting players, but has no impulse control.

Other than those players and Drai and Klefbom, the Oilers are a bumch of nobodies. 

My mind is completely boggled that anyone can defend Kassian, that is his teammates, the HNIC panel, Oiler fans and even himself.  It would be one thing if it was McDavid being hit and hit dirty, but he was defending his own ego after being hit clean 3 times, completely selfish.  If I'm Ken Holland I don't even consider an extension at this point and if I'm Dave Tippett I strongly consider scratching him the next BOA, who cares if he can score 12 goals on McDavid's wing, he can easily cost the team with the fact he has no brain.  

I liked how Kass called out Tckachuk for not fighting him, because now he's a "legit' goal scorer - not a plug anymore. 

Oh really? Are you sure your a potential 20 goal scorer without playing with McDavid and Draisaitl for most of the season? 

Look where Maroons numbers went once he left McDavid

Tkachuks comments after the game were perfect. Something along the lines of; "If he wants to react like that we'll take the PP, we'll take the game-winner, and we'll take first place in the division."

• Like 1

Good win, few points from last nights game:

1) Last night indicated that these players can get emotional and physically involved in a game if they chose. They can play good hockey when the do.

2) Everyone loved that game, why it had intensity and physicality and fights. Is it not hypicrital that those who condemn violence still loved to watch last nights game. 

3) Lucic if he is not going to get engaged in the fashion he was brought in for, than waive his sorry asre. This should have been right up his alley, but to close of friendship with the enemy. 

4) There was not one hit by Chucky that was bad. He got under the skin of Kassian and it worked. 

5) Kassin should be suspended 3-5 games and a 25,000k fine. He attacked a player in a vulnerable position. Twice pulled player down to the ice while still throwing punches with the intent to injury.  Than has the lack of intellect to speak code to the media. Clearly the intent of Kassian was to create injure. Clear suspension in this new league. 

My only concern with last night was our enforcers. Friends or not Lucic/ Rinaldo needed to state a message to the Oiler bench. Touch one of our stars and I have option other than to beat your Hash Rate senseless. I remember in 2004 run, teams ran Iggy and Conroy. When CGY picked up Chris SImon his 1st Game he skated by the opposition bench and said" Anyone touches Conny or Iggy, your dealing with me.  Neither had a problem for the rest of the year with cheap shots. 

The game was won by Chucky egging Kassian, pretty simple task to rattle that mindless fool,  but good on Chucky to take a few and not engage. 

• Like 1

There is a time and place to defend your team's honor.

A close game was not the right time.

If anything, the coach talked to Lucic and RInaldo and told them to keep off.

They had the intermission and 10 minutes if the 3rd to decide if it needed any measures.

The single goal lead decided that.

I re-watched the McD-Backlud exchange and was amazed nothing was called.

McD kicked his foot up into Backlund's nuts.

Are you kidding me?

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/tkachuk-overshadows-star-studded-efforts-flames-battle-alberta/

the thing that no one is talking about is that Kassian was running around hitting guys in the same way Tkachuk was targeting him. Kassian was charging anyone he could in the game. Tkachuk picked his spots. There was a hit on Lucic where he skated across the whole ice to hit him, full speed the whole way. 

I like a spirited affair and the flames response was great!

Kassian lost his cool on a clean hit. Tkachuk chose to respond earlier hits with picking those spots and not create a problem by putting us down a man by retaliation. He could easily have done that. The Better head Prevailed.

i feel like it was the game within the game.

Looking back the first big hit behind the net should have been a penalty and I don’t really like it. Kassian is in a vulnerable spot, Tkachuk gets him in the head area and it’s pretty close to a charge. Not the most egregious thing in the world but a penalty or a fine I would have been fine with. There is nothing to be gained by that hit other than to attempt to injure/rock your opponent and those are the types of hits I’m not a fan of but also aware my definition is very different. I do get why Kassian and the Oilers were pissed.

but the main hit I see nothing wrong with and none of this excuses what Kassian did. Far more dangerous than anything tkahuck did and full warrants a meeting with the league and a multiple game suspension. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Looking back the first big hit behind the net should have been a penalty and I don’t really like it. Kassian is in a vulnerable spot, Tkachuk gets him in the head area and it’s pretty close to a charge. Not the most egregious thing in the world but a penalty or a fine I would have been fine with. There is nothing to be gained by that hit other than to attempt to injure/rock your opponent and those are the types of hits I’m not a fan of but also aware my definition is very different. I do get why Kassian and the Oilers were pissed.

but the main hit I see nothing wrong with and none of this excuses what Kassian did. Far more dangerous than anything tkahuck did and full warrants a meeting with the league and a multiple game suspension. 

Kassian is at such a low angle on the 1st hit, that Tkachuk is going to hit him high.

Have seen too many of those hits go uncalled to say this meets the standard of a penalty.

The NHL PS has ruled they were both clean hits, so I don't know what the standard is.

Saying that, Kassian should have laid out Tkachuk in the many shift they played after the first one.

Play within the rules or close to the edge like you normally do.

He lost it.

There was no honor in what he did.

Next faceoff, he could have challenged a goon (like himself) to a fight.

Would have sparked the team more than a selfish ego trip.

McD was no angel in this game.  He cross-checked Tkachuk in the ribs./lower back.

He kicked Backlund in the nuts with his foot.

Does McD have to answer to Rinaldo or Bennett for that?

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Kassian is at such a low angle on the 1st hit, that Tkachuk is going to hit him high.

Have seen too many of those hits go uncalled to say this meets the standard of a penalty.

The NHL PS has ruled they were both clean hits, so I don't know what the standard is.

And that's where I acknowledge my standard is different. I get the NHL ruled that hit was fine but IMO it crosses the line and you should not want that type of hit in your game if you care about player safety, which I think it's also pretty clear the NHL doesn't. 

so yes based on the rules I understand why no penalty was called, or why the NHL rules the hit is clean, but for me that is a standard that should change. I think the NHL should adapt the IIHL rule where a hit to the head is a penalty no questions asked. Remove the grey area. NHL continues to build up so much grey area around this. It's interesting to me how many former players, and not necessarily related to the Oilers, are pointing the finger at Tkachuk. 

10 minutes ago, cross16 said:

And that's where I acknowledge my standard is different. I get the NHL ruled that hit was fine but IMO it crosses the line and you should not want that type of hit in your game if you care about player safety, which I think it's also pretty clear the NHL doesn't. 

so yes based on the rules I understand why no penalty was called, or why the NHL rules the hit is clean, but for me that is a standard that should change. I think the NHL should adapt the IIHL rule where a hit to the head is a penalty no questions asked. Remove the grey area. NHL continues to build up so much grey area around this. It's interesting to me how many former players, and not necessarily related to the Oilers, are pointing the finger at Tkachuk. 

I do agree with you.

Backlund was hit in a similar hit by Dumba.

No penalty, no suspension.

But I also feel that was more targeted intent to injure a smaller player.

To do what you suggest is fine for the well-being of those involved.

Hard to call, since it's a split-second thing.

They will get it wrong a lot.

Like in the VGK-SJS game during the playoffs.

I laugh at the "brotherhood" of honor.

Exactly how was Tkachuk going to fight when he was being spun around?

He chose not to, but that was likely a safety thing.

How is he going to defend himself after being sucker punched 10 times?

The honorable thing is to challenge someone to a fight.

If they decline, go ahead and hit if you like - take the suspension.

There was no challenge here.

I love that Spector has an article on Sportsnet stating that Tkachuk has no respect for other players and is cheap shot artist, and has quotes from Scottie Upshall, James Neal and Zach Kassian to support his hypothesis. I mean going to 3 of the dirtiest players in the game to support your opinion isn't the direction I would go. Do any of those players really have a leg to stand on?

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I love that Spector has an article on Sportsnet stating that Tkachuk has no respect for other players and is cheap shot artist, and has quotes from Scottie Upshall, James Neal and Zach Kassian to support his hypothesis. I mean going to 3 of the dirtiest players in the game to support your opinion isn't the direction I would go. Do any of those players really have a leg to stand on?

Is it any wonder what Spector says?

He's a water carrier for the Oilers.

Describes himself as a fan first.

Upshall?

Really.

Poor Leon saying he won;t play with little Matty at the All Star Game.

And Kassian gets 2 games so he can play after the ASG against the Flames.

32 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Is it any wonder what Spector says?

He's a water carrier for the Oilers.

Describes himself as a fan first.

Upshall?

Really.

Poor Leon saying he won;t play with little Matty at the All Star Game.

And Kassian gets 2 games so he can play after the ASG against the Flames.

yup! I wasn’t surprised. 

Burke mentioned that he didn’t see them as dirty hits but also felt Kassian’s response was warranted but also Tkachuk didn’t need to fight after a clean hit. 

I hope they can get their legs going. They’re not skating the same nor are their passes clean. They’re getting outworked a lot.