The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Carty

Flames @ Leafs 5pm Jan 16

That’s a goalie stealing a game for you. Thank you all star BSD. 

• Like 1

Watched the last 8 min and OT/SO. I got to catch a few BSD’s!!! Amazing! Where would we be without him? 

sounds like a better effort after listening to a horrible first ten minutes.

When I watched Hanifin on Willy Nylander goal, I was wonderng why he was guarding begind Willy.

It didn;t make sense.

He did make an effort to get a stick on Nylander, but it looked pedestrian.

Bump the little guy if you are standing behind him.

34 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Is Freddy Andersens dad counting shots on the box? Doesn’t feel like the shots are really even close. Mind you the Flames have been shooting from the parking lot most of the night, very little quality shots 

ya, I felt the same for Price in Montreal . 
it was not a 31 save shutout kind of game. 

Nice to have both goalies playing well with consistency...   How many seasons has it been since we could say that?...   :)

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

Watched the last 8 min and OT/SO. I got to catch a few BSD’s!!! Amazing! Where would we be without him? 

sounds like a better effort after listening to a horrible first ten minutes.

It was bad, but mostly the same issue.

Can't make a simple play to get out.

4 shots on 2 shifts and 2 minutes.

We had some chances, but missed the net, so we still weren;t credited with a shot.

The last 10 minutes of the 1st was all Flames.

BSD was good, but he really shined on the PK and the 3rd.

The OT was all Flames.

Nothing quite as beautiful as an understated goalie going to the big smoke and laying down a statement game after his all-star inclusion.

5-0 in shootouts. Mr. Automatic.

• Like 2

Rittich stole that one and well deserved. Great to see him bounce back with 2 good efforts and nice of Ward to throw him right back in there. 

it was a well played defensive game by the Flames as they did slow down a very good offensive team. The slow staff was frustrating as is the fact they can’t seem to get any sustained offensive pressure 5 on 5. 

hard fought road win 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Nothing quite as beautiful as an understated goalie going to the big smoke and laying down a statement game after his all-star inclusion.

5-0 in shootouts. Mr. Automatic.

2 GA in 18.  Thats pretty incredible, I don't think we've ever had anyone perform this good at shoot outs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

It was bad, but mostly the same issue.

Can't make a simple play to get out.

4 shots on 2 shifts and 2 minutes.

We had some chances, but missed the net, so we still weren;t credited with a shot.

The last 10 minutes of the 1st was all Flames.

BSD was good, but he really shined on the PK and the 3rd.

The OT was all Flames.

yup, I hope they can figure it out. It is good they’re getting points and staying afloat. It’s good to eeek out wins you’re not supposed to sometimes, but when a lot of wins aren’t necessarily earned there’s reason for concern. I hear a lot of that. I wanna hear, “that was a well deserved victory” more often than I have heard it. 

9 hours ago, robrob74 said:

yup, I hope they can figure it out. It is good they’re getting points and staying afloat. It’s good to eeek out wins you’re not supposed to sometimes, but when a lot of wins aren’t necessarily earned there’s reason for concern. I hear a lot of that. I wanna hear, “that was a well deserved victory” more often than I have heard it. 

I will be honest.

Winning is more important right now.

Learn how to win better by winning.

A shootout victory doesn't give you a false sense of security; winning by 5 goals against a crappy goalie does.

When you break down this game, I think you would see more than enough opportunity to win in regulation or OT.

Andersen is one of the toughest goalie to score multiple goals against, unless he's having a bad day.

If I had to pick apart one area of concern for the Flames, it would be D-zone. 

Decision making.

We seem to find the most difficult way of taking the puck and getting going the other way.

Have the puck and forecheckers coming?

Turn into the boards or hold up until they are on you.

Slow the play down so you have more resistance.

If you look at good teams, they have a goalie that stands out.

They learn how to ride the ups and downs of the season, because their goalie will steal games.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I will be honest.

Winning is more important right now.

Learn how to win better by winning.

A shootout victory doesn't give you a false sense of security; winning by 5 goals against a crappy goalie does.

When you break down this game, I think you would see more than enough opportunity to win in regulation or OT.

Andersen is one of the toughest goalie to score multiple goals against, unless he's having a bad day.

If I had to pick apart one area of concern for the Flames, it would be D-zone. 

Decision making.

We seem to find the most difficult way of taking the puck and getting going the other way.

Have the puck and forecheckers coming?

Turn into the boards or hold up until they are on you.

Slow the play down so you have more resistance.

If you look at good teams, they have a goalie that stands out.

They learn how to ride the ups and downs of the season, because their goalie will steal games.

yup! I noticed that too on a lot of the breakout. I think they’re holding it too long and don’t make the first safe play. 
I don’t know if the players aren’t where they’re supposed to be when they breakout. But it’s like the D make that one extra move that allows opponents to hone in on them super fast and then they’re forced to make a bad play. I noticed that over the last few years when teams would try against us. But it didn’t happen enough for it to be a thing. Every team gets hemmed in once in awhile.

it just happens a lot more now. 

As for the goaltending and team play, it’s great to have a goalie allow you to ride some of the downs, but when the downs are too frequent then that is a problem. I can see what you mean by the winning by five giving a false sense of security. I think last year things were so easy, and it was how I saw it, too easy, and players easily got into the notion that they’re winning so nothing is wrong. Yet coaches throughout the year wanted to hone the play on a few occasions. 

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

As for the goaltending and team play, it’s great to have a goalie allow you to ride some of the downs, but when the downs are too frequent then that is a problem. I can see what you mean by the winning by five giving a false sense of security. I think last year things were so easy, and it was how I saw it, too easy, and players easily got into the notion that they’re winning so nothing is wrong. Yet coaches throughout the year wanted to hone the play on a few occasions. 

The Oilers fell fo that this year, but I wouldn't suggest that the Oilers were anywhere near as good as we were.

We had many areas of our game that were superior.

The Oilers relied on goaltending.

Then they were able to outscore their issues.

Last year we were so good because everything went right.

Didn't mean we had underlying issues, just that we did the right things at the right times.

Those things started to fade.

Gio started wearing down.

The defense started to play back, letting other teams come to them.

The scouted things started being exposed and no change to the structure or strategy was made.

We fell victim to bad officiating without being able to score much on our limited chances.

We fell into the Smith trap.

He looked good at the end of the season, but was really just facing a lot of shots from lesser teams.

In game one he shut the door, so he must be good, right?

He gave up so many rebounds that he was making 3 saves for every play.