The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Carty

Blues @ Flames 7pm Jan 28

Talbot didn’t have his best game, but that was an opportunity for the team to bail him out for a change. 

I don’t understand Ward playing Looch in OT. He’d be a great screen if he didn’t completely move out of the way every time, but that choice was a real head scratcher.

• Like 1

Right now Mangiapane is giving me Paul Byron flashbacks, many chances no finish.  I have my doubts he's a top 6 player in this league.

3 minutes ago, Fins&FIre15 said:

0 urgency on that pp.

Absolutely pathetic.

Agreed. It’s like we try to slow it down and make it all cerebral. Need to attack with speed and make the PP more organic. 

9 hours ago, sak22 said:

Right now Mangiapane is giving me Paul Byron flashbacks, many chances no finish.  I have my doubts he's a top 6 player in this league.

Fair point, but Byron eventually turned into a solid producer for the Habs.

This has to be one of the worst games I've ever seen Kylington play.  And he's played some bad ones.  If he has one more of these then he has to go back to the AHL.  

7 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

This has to be one of the worst games I've ever seen Kylington play.  And he's played some bad ones.  If he has one more of these then he has to go back to the AHL.  

Kylington is going to get eaten alive down the stretch and into the playoffs. This has to concerning for Treliving. I really hope Valimaki is closer to coming back than the team has been letting on.

He had a bad game sure but let’s not continue the culture of bailing on young dmem or young players when they hit a tough patch. I mean we’ve put up with crap play from 4 of our top players all year so we can live with young players struggling here and there. 

I’m not a believer Kylington has a ton of upside but he belongs in the NHL. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cross16 said:

Past the point of the season where you can take moral victories. Bottom line is that was a game you needed to clamp down and win the game in the 3rd period and they failed because they cannot execute simple and basic details. 

threw away a point there. Not ok 

I know man.  Johnny had 2 breakways in the game.  I think we had two 2-on-1 and no goals to show for.  I know Binnington is good but we have to cash in on those chances.  

Moral victory was that we had the chances to win.  Give Johnny a couple more breakaways and eventually he will score.  But there's no time for next time.  Now is the time. No excuses.

11 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I know man.  Johnny had 2 breakways in the game.  I think we had two 2-on-1 and no goals to show for.  I know Binnington is good but we have to cash in on those chances.  

Moral victory was that we had the chances to win.  Give Johnny a couple more breakaways and eventually he will score.  But there's no time for next time.  Now is the time. No excuses.

im more upset about their own end. Sure you want Johnny to score but what drives me crazy is you have a 4-3 lead on one of the best team in the league in the 3rd period and your captain decides to take a brutal pinch with no back up and then a top 6 center can’t backfill the pinch. 

That’s basic stuff and with a 1 goal lead on the 3rd period you can’t have your top dman doing that. Situational awareness and this team struggles with it. Drives me crazy. 

Watching the Blues play is refreshing. They don’t beat themselves, they always have puck support, their players are always in the right spot, and they have each other’s back. Big contrast watching them and the Flames. 

24 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

There was a point during the game where I almost threw up a bit watching Johnny.

He was out there for maybe 20 seconds, and then changed because one of his line mates dumped it in, and he was supposed to be the forechecker trying to retrieve the puck.

He might have been tired, who knows, I might be over thinking it, but man, its hard to say he's been playing with a ton of heart this season.

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

He had a bad game sure but let’s not continue the culture of bailing on young dmem or young players when they hit a tough patch. I mean we’ve put up with crap play from 4 of our top players all year so we can live with young players struggling here and there. 

I’m not a believer Kylington has a ton of upside but he belongs in the NHL. 

See I just haven't seen consistent NHL play out of Kylington all year. I don't think this is a tough stretch or just a bad game, this is who he is IMO, and I was a Kylington supporter when he was drafted, but I just haven't seen enough growth in his game to suggest that he is anything more than a AHL/NHL tweener. Right now he is the weakest spot on the team and it means that the other defenseman have to play more minutes to cover up for Kylington.