The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Carty

Oil @ Flames 8pm Feb 1

That was Looch's opportunity to engage Khaira, right there...

Just now, lou44291 said:

This game goes against my “team losing gets more leniency and power plays” theory. 

Some pretty soft calls and lots of missed ones.

Chaisson almost takes off Mangiapane's head and no call.

1 minute ago, lou44291 said:

That’s exactly my point. He’s made me question that two games in a row now. 

Like I said...   If it was up to me, I'd bench Looch for a few games...

• Like 2

Soccer next practice? Or maybe they play football in honour of the super bowl? Anyway they should continue to have fun at practice 

1 minute ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Soccer next practice? Or maybe they play football in honour of the super bowl? Anyway they should continue to have fun at practice 

They should take up boxing

• Like 1

This was a frustrating game. It looked like the Flames could turn it around when they got within 1, but then it was all Oilers....

Once in a while we have such bad games and we have to get rid of these ugly ones.

Another fun game overall.  Rittich didn't have a good game and our D was weak all game.  Gave up too many grade A chances to their better players.  Can't do that and expect to win.  Really disappointed in Gaudreau who wasn't able to deliver much when he has been very well shielded from most of the physicality and heated battles.  With McDavid and Tkachuk engaged physically and constantly involved in dirty stuff, it comes down to the battle between Draisaitl/RNH vs Gaudreau/Lindholm, etc.

3 minutes ago, cfreining said:

This was a frustrating game. It looked like the Flames could turn it around when they got within 1, but then it was all Oilers....

Once in a while we have such bad games and we have to get rid of these ugly ones.

The frustrating part was that the chances were there in the first period but we either missed or it was a lucky save from Smith.  Lindholm could've had a hat trick tonight if he scored on his chances.  Ryan had another breakaway and didn't score.  Bennett and Monahan both had a good look in the slot.

We need  a coach that can do a better job of expressing disappointment...   and not just hang his head for a good part of the 3rd period...

609290b02c5016519b5654540e7aacff.gif

That was Blockchainin an embarrasment. Absolutely no engagement in the game, bunch of pussies. I was on side with Lucic on this club for some toughness, however after watching 3 of these games he is a waste of a Satoshi Nakamoto. Frankly, buy his Hash Rate out and put Rinaldo out there at least he has some passion.  Oilers are a 2 man team, we won when you got them rattled tonight nothing. You could actually see this coming in the past few games, Flames are piss poorly coached and once again in a pivotal game they no show. I get you wna to make the playoffs, but these Hash Rate clowns will not even make a ripple. Time to do your job Trevling and fix this disaster of a roster you created. 

• Like 1

I don’t care that the Flames lost really, I mean can you really expect to beat a team 4 straight in less than a month .

What burns me is how poorly they played, and to be honest they played poorly IMO for 45 mins of the game in EDM, the difference that night was BSD and Oiler breakdowns. Tonight BSD didn’t shield the team from their deficiencies, and it wasn’t even close, the Flames were completely inept 

• Like 1

I didn't like it, but I understood when Lucic let Tckachuk fight his own battle with Kass last game, despite Kass clearly being a heavy weight.

Tonight, there was no excuse - he didn't need to do something stupid like pummel a middle weight, but he did need to engage and SCARE a few of the Oil (like Nurse, Khara) that continue to take liberties with Tckachuk and Gio which is complete BS.

If he were on a 1 year deal, minimum deal, I would understand - no need to put your neck out. But man, you are being paid 3x of what you should - step up for the team that pays you?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Carty said:

This is the kind of game where Looch needed to show he is a Flame now and that old friendships don't count when you are out on the ice...

If you aren't putting up points or contributing in other ways, then lay some bodies out and drop the gloves when it's needed to try and earn part of those big paychecks...

What happened to the days when guys wanted to put their friends into the boards as they're competing, of course?

50 minutes ago, Carty said:

If he doesn't, I'd bench him for about 5 games...    Khaira and Nurse could both use an attitude adjustment...   Looch should pick one of them...

Sounds about right.

As much as I dislike the loss and the score, this game was actually exactly what we needed - on multiple levels. 

1. It showed the flames that the Oilers aren’t going to roll over and die just because we won the season series in the REGULAR SEASON.
2. It shows who’s engaged in our lineup, and who’s not

3. It shows who has an extra gear to their game and brings it when needed

4. It shows who concedes and gives up when the going gets tough, and who continues to push against adversity

5. It (hopefully) taught the Flames they ain’t as good as they think they are, and they need to put in some work

6. IT KNOCKED US OUT OF A PLAYOFF SPOT.

7. MOST IMPORTANTLY: It generated playoff-like data for BT’s advanced analytics system on each player RIGHT. BEFORE. THE. TRADE. DEADLINE.

I have to admit, I’m thankful this happened before the TDL. Brad, you now have some serious data to look into and some cap space as well. Have at it. I’m excited. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I don’t care that the Flames lost really, I mean can you really expect to beat a team 4 straight in less than a month .

What burns me is how poorly they played, and to be honest they played poorly IMO for 45 mins of the game in EDM, the difference that night was BSD and Oiler breakdowns. Tonight BSD didn’t shield the team from their deficiencies, and it wasn’t even close, the Flames were completely inept 

The difference was who scored first. The last two meetings, we scored first pretty early, now it has been the Oilers with two quick ones within the first 2 minutes. Oilers came into this game with a huge win over the reigning Stanley Cup champion yesterday. They wanted to win more than we did, maybe after the 3 losses so far they were even desperately looking for that win. If we want to win the Stanley Cup we have to be able to deal such a game in a better fashion then we did today.

5 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

As much as I dislike the loss and the score, this game was actually exactly what we needed - on multiple levels. 

1. It showed the flames that the Oilers aren’t going to roll over and die just because we won the season series in the REGULAR SEASON.

4. It shows who concedes and gives up when the going gets tough, and who continues to push against adversity

5. It (hopefully) taught the Flames they ain’t as good as they think they are, and they need to put in some work

7. MOST IMPORTANTLY: It generated playoff-like data for BT’s advanced analytics system on each player RIGHT. BEFORE. THE. TRADE. DEADLINE.

I have to admit, I’m thankful this happened before the TDL. Brad, you now have some serious data to look into and some cap space as well. Have at it. I’m excited. 

Actually for #6 we're now sitting in the wildcard ..but i do get your point 

Lucic.. I've been nothing but supportive of him all year and in most games hes doing his job..but i do think there is some legitimacy to him having too many friends in edm.. he had no penalty minutes tonight.. not acceptable 

The biggest list of no shows tonight..is what is scary 

Johnny tops the list 

This was a collective team bad game ..so can't point to anybody having a good one ..except maybe Tkachuk, Anderson and Robinson

But ..the additional effort was noticeably missing from our best players .. starting with Johnny, he was invisible 

Lindholm was showing effort ..even Monahan was throwing it around a bit..but I'm sorry..I'm getting more and more disenchanted by the game with Johnny.  He's playing like a guy going thru the motions who doesn't want to be here 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

#6 is not true.

1st WC spot, 1 pt bck of Vegas who played 1 more game.

1pt up on ARI, who played one more game.

The biggest issue for me with this game for me is we let them walk into our barn and take 2 points easily.

They built momentum in this win, even though it was us playing badly.

There are issues with the players BT has made available to the coach, but I fail to see any impvement in the lines.

2nd line was really the only line that played close to good enough.

Backlund was the worst C on the ice.

Brodie and Ras about the only D that made anything more than weak attempts at defense.

The HNIC crew focused on Kylington, but I saw far worse from Hanifin (over 300 NHL games played), and Hamonic was twisted into a pretzel.

Gio was terrible on the PP. 

As far as scoring chances, we didn;t on the ones we had.

They would have made the game completely different.

The fights actually energized the Oil.

We don;t have the size to play that game.

25 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Actually for #6 we're now sitting in the wildcard ..but i do get your point 

Lucic.. I've been nothing but supportive of him all year and in most games hes doing his job..but i do think there is some legitimacy to him having too many friends in edm.. he had no penalty minutes tonight.. not acceptable 

The biggest list of no shows tonight..is what is scary 

Johnny tops the list 

This was a collective team bad game ..so can't point to anybody having a good one ..except maybe Tkachuk, Anderson and Robinson

But ..the additional effort was noticeably missing from our best players .. starting with Johnny, he was invisible 

Lindholm was showing effort ..even Monahan was throwing it around a bit..but I'm sorry..I'm getting more and more disenchanted by the game with Johnny.  He's playing like a guy going thru the motions who doesn't want to be here 

You’re right. Wild Card. Hopefully it bugs them to be there. And I’m with you on Lucic. I’ve been in his corner all season... but this is almost unforgivable. I didn’t expect him to fight but I did expect him to hit, get involved in scrums, police the ice, be there for teammates, and at the very least, make some impact on this game or last... I mean, Archibald was significantly more noticeable. And you know what? I’m so happy that the panel on Sportsnet brought it up - commenting that he hadn’t shown up for either game, questioning if he has too many friends, and then saying “I’m sure Lucic is going to be answering questions about that soon enough”. 

Im with you on Johnny as well. Agree 100%

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

#6 is not true.

1st WC spot, 1 pt bck of Vegas who played 1 more game.

1pt up on ARI, who played one more game.

The biggest issue for me with this game for me is we let them walk into our barn and take 2 points easily.

They built momentum in this win, even though it was us playing badly.

There are issues with the players BT has made available to the coach, but I fail to see any impvement in the lines.

2nd line was really the only line that played close to good enough.

Backlund was the worst C on the ice.

Brodie and Ras about the only D that made anything more than weak attempts at defense.

The HNIC crew focused on Kylington, but I saw far worse from Hanifin (over 300 NHL games played), and Hamonic was twisted into a pretzel.

Gio was terrible on the PP. 

As far as scoring chances, we didn;t on the ones we had.

They would have made the game completely different.

The fights actually energized the Oil.

We don;t have the size to play that game.

+1

Pretty annoyed with every player last night **except Talbot** however... i'm completely sick of Lucic. Piece of Satoshi Nakamoto has more love for his coiler buddies than his new teammates. I want him gone... send him to the east for a bag of pucks (retain salary) or better yet send that trash to the american league.... that piece of crap doesn't deserve to be in the NHL. I wanted to like him... I wanted to give him a chance... but, he's a useless piece of Satoshi Nakamoto. A turnover machine that would rather make sweet sweet love to his coiler friends, than lay a hit. 

PUT RINALDO IN THE LINEUP INSTEAD FFS!!!! 1000% !!!! Faster, works harder, hits more, looks like he has better hands. He's the superior player in this equation.

• Like 1

After listening to wards presser last night, you can tell he is now in the same company as Hartley, Gully, Peters. This club either has no drive of competitiveness or it just get sucked out of them when they come here. Had to laugh when Ward was asked about Lucic, he would not answer. I am with everyone else, I was optimistic that Lucic would be a good guy for our club, it appears his loyalty is north with his buddies. Everything that has gone on in this so called battle our supposed best warrior chose not to engage. We as a small group noticed it, the reporters asked the question that we were thinking. He never had a problem with engaging our guys when he was a coiler. I am with those who mentioned it, sit his Hash Rate for a few, he might as well engage a box of popcorn, he be far more useful that way than on the ice. At least Rinaldo has some passion in his game. 

• Like 1