The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Carty

Sharks @ Flames 7pm Feb 4

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

It’s not all his fault as I do think this core needs a shakeup but it’s also really clear to me that Ward is in over his head as a head coach.

he took over a crap situation and I feel for him but that inexperience is really starting to show. The constant line changing, the dump and chase, the awful d zone trend... just not a man with a plan. 

It doesn't help that his assistants are all fairly inexperienced at the NHL level as well.

The team played well to start the game but when they didn't score in the 1st, it's like they just gave up. 

SJ was allowed to walk right down the gut whenever they wanted, and get shots away.

This team has zero identity. They seem to be ok with just being ok.

17 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

It doesn't help that his assistants are all fairly inexperienced at the NHL level as well.

The team played well to start the game but when they didn't score in the 1st, it's like they just gave up. 

SJ was allowed to walk right down the gut whenever they wanted, and get shots away.

This team has zero identity. They seem to be ok with just being ok.

completely revamping your forward lines when you are playing well goes on the increasingly long list of WTF decisions I’ve seen from Ward. Made no sense. 

i just do not see how you can justify adding to this team right now. If they believed in what they were doing I don’t think they’d be stumbling as frequently as they are. 

43 minutes ago, FueltheFlames1075 said:

I hate to say it, however I think this is definitely a lost season at this point. Regardless of tonight’s outcome, you just don’t see any passion from most of this team.

You keep waiting for them to turn a corner, and show that they really are the team from last year. Maybe it’s time to accept that this is truly the team that they are. The question is why, with the talent that they seemingly have.

I actually think this is what they’ve been. They had one line last year That worked at any given time. Half the year it was line one plus Tkachuk on the Pp. then it was the Ryan line after the break. This year there’s no chemistry and it looks like no room out there for any given line. Other teams seem to clog it up and there’s just no support. 

43 minutes ago, cross16 said:

It’s not all his fault as I do think this core needs a shakeup but it’s also really clear to me that Ward is in over his head as a head coach.

he took over a crap situation and I feel for him but that inexperience is really starting to show. The constant line changing, the dump and chase, the awful d zone trend... just not a man with a plan. 

the thing about the line juggling is that Peters was doing it too. This team hasn’t really had a constant. Last year Peters went with guys that were going and it worked. He changed lines to suit who was skating and ran with them. I guess he kept the first line together though. The rest of the team seemed to be a blender until Ryan got going. 

28 minutes ago, cross16 said:

completely revamping your forward lines when you are playing well goes on the increasingly long list of WTF decisions I’ve seen from Ward. Made no sense. 

List?...   I'm already on chapter 4...   It's more like a book...

i just do not see how you can justify adding to this team right now.

I can see how the team can benefit from subtraction...   Starting with Ward...   The Flames didn't have much choice when Peters was let go, but it is time to end the Ward experiment...   2 - 4 - 1 in their last 7 games, and there have been an awful lot of bad coaching decisions for far too long now...   and it's not getting any better, if anything it seems to be getting worse...   Ward is panicking, because he is in over his head and he can't swim yet...

If they believed in what they were doing I don’t think they’d be stumbling as frequently as they are. 

A number of players can share in the blame, but some of the the lack consistency with effort is due to lack of leadership...   Both in the dressing room and on the bench...

But I agree that there is no faith in the plan, and that is because Ward doesn't really seem to have a plan...   Ward has to go, and the sooner the better...   Maybe they can look into trying to figure out a short term fix if they want to wait and see who else might come available after the season before they commit to anything with term...   While that is not an ideal situation, neither is letting a blind man drive your car home...

Then Flames need to start looking at a few trades...   If they can do anything to make the team better before the TDL that will still be beneficial after this season, great...   Either way they will have to see what can be done to improve the team over the summer...

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

the thing about the line juggling is that Peters was doing it too. This team hasn’t really had a constant. Last year Peters went with guys that were going and it worked. He changed lines to suit who was skating and ran with them. I guess he kept the first line together though. The rest of the team seemed to be a blender until Ryan got going. 

Im fine with line juggling and I'm fine with experimenting. My problem with Ward is he breaks things up that work frequently and will overhaul almost the entire group. Peters at least kept pairs. Has to be some balance

• Like 1

Im fine with line juggling and I'm fine with experimenting. My problem with Ward is he breaks things up that work frequently and will overhaul almost the entire group. Peters at least kept pairs. Has to be some balance

There was also the "we won, make a change" scenario.

What he was saying was at times true, but I didn't agree that a change is the best way to inforce that.

Neither Brodie nor Andersson could help balance out the pairing with Hamonic.

Perhaps it's Hamonic impacting Hanifin negatively.

Regardless of Gio's status, we need to make that trade before the season is lost.

I'm starting to wonder if we have hit on a string of really bad coaches.

Hartley had a team that just played and didn;t really follow any system.

When he tried coaching they failed.

Gully was the same.

BP, I don;t even know how he managed to win games.

Maybe a real coach would actually work.

24 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

There was also the "we won, make a change" scenario.

What he was saying was at times true, but I didn't agree that a change is the best way to inforce that.

Neither Brodie nor Andersson could help balance out the pairing with Hamonic.

Perhaps it's Hamonic impacting Hanifin negatively.

Regardless of Gio's status, we need to make that trade before the season is lost.

I'm starting to wonder if we have hit on a string of really bad coaches.

Hartley had a team that just played and didn;t really follow any system.

When he tried coaching they failed.

Gully was the same.

BP, I don;t even know how he managed to win games.

Maybe a real coach would actually work.

wasn’t the knock on Hartley he didn’t have a system but was a hard Hash Rate motivator?

GG our systems in and the possession sky rocketed and we became one if the best possession teams in the league and it followed through with Peters until this year. 

but I always felt that just because we had the puck didn’t mean the team was playing great. It looked like teams were content on keeping a lot to the outside and Beating is with counterattacks. 

I think there has been coaches coaching, but the players seem to grow easily tired of the motivation techniques they share.

6 hours ago, robrob74 said:

wasn’t the knock on Hartley he didn’t have a system but was a hard Hash Rate motivator?

GG our systems in and the possession sky rocketed and we became one if the best possession teams in the league and it followed through with Peters until this year. 

but I always felt that just because we had the puck didn’t mean the team was playing great. It looked like teams were content on keeping a lot to the outside and Beating is with counterattacks. 

I think there has been coaches coaching, but the players seem to grow easily tired of the motivation techniques they share.

We've seen a change from one spectrum to another 

The biggest knock on GG was he would never adjust,especially in game .. Troy Brouwer was the poster child of his coaching strategy 

Peter's started and now Ward has gone the rest of the mile to changing constantly

Change is ok , but you have to let it grow . Like when Lindholm apparently said fine I'll play center but you have to leave me there for a few games to adjust properly 

D pairs especially need adjustment time ..

Peter's method of pairs actually makes the most sense ..makes it easier to in game adjust with a 3rd player since you still have some structure in place 

I was actually quite ok with the initial major lines shakeup ward did..but he's gotta stick with it ..not keep flip flopping everybody around 

Now we quite possibly have to deal with No Gio for while ..what does that look like 

• Like 1

I like Ward seems to very intelligent, however he is not a NHL coach. The systems he has in place do not work to this clubs advantages. There is no speed to the game anymore. They do control the puck better but by slowing it down allowing the opposition to get all 5 off their players back you now rely on dump and chase, we are not  a team built for that. For me this starts at the top. Trevling wanted faster smaller skilled guys which we have a roster of midgets to play an up tempo game in the NEW NHL. So now our systems are designed for dump and chase, we control the puck till it comes time to enter the zone. We lose puck battles in the O zone and never ever get any net presence, when was the last tip or garbage goal from this club. Serious this has been a problem of never adapting to what is required to be competitive in our division. 

• Like 1