The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The_People1

COVID-19 and NHL

If the NHL comes back, it’s gonna be a strange playoff.

Teams that were on a roll won’t necessarily pick up where they left off. 

Could see something weird like the Rangers playing the Wild for the cup

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

The idea of 4 or more cities is to spread the wealth, and to have enough available rink time for practices and games.

The revenue to the NHL is one thing, but an area getting full hotels and increased catering is huge.

If you just look at continuing the regular season, even 4 cities is problematic.

31 teams trying to fit in 10-16 games each, plus practice.

You can't compress the schedule much.

15-16 teams play every day.

8 games, 2 per rink, plus practices (would could be held in another arena each city).

The playoffs would be half that number.

1 per rink per day.

Trying to do that with one area is impossible.

Maybe it was 1 city per division?  And all teams finish the season within the division + 2 rounds of playoffs.  No crossover in first round.

The Final Four can move to one of the locations and play until we have a winner.

That might work... Edmonton, Dallas, Detroit, Philadelphia. Let's go.  I imagine 3 or 4 games per day.  Give the ice crew 1 full hour to prepare the ice in between games.

Practice?  It's more important for the integrity of the scores that every team has the same access to practice as the others.  In other words, zero.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Maybe it was 1 city per division?  And all teams finish the season within the division + 2 rounds of playoffs.  No crossover in first round.

The Final Four can move to one of the locations and play until we have a winner.

That might work... Edmonton, Dallas, Detroit, Philadelphia. Let's go.  I imagine 3 or 4 games per day.  Give the ice crew 1 full hour to prepare the ice in between games.

Practice?  It's more important for the integrity of the scores that every team has the same access to practice as the others.  In other words, zero.

Could make sense, but cities that have multiple rinks available for practice facility could work. 

Vancouver has ice that runs summertime. 

I am not sure about Calgary and Edmonton, but I would guess that they have enough rinks to house 8 teams to practice in. 

I am sure any city could. Plus, there wouldn't be any public going to rinks anyway, with a shutdown. But my guess is that some of those other NHL cities would or could have enough rinks to hold 8 teams to practice in. They'd really only need 4, and they could have two practices per day. 

For that matter, they'd only need a few rinks that could hold NHL games. 

Vancouver has Rogers and the Pacific Coliseum. Edmonton might have two as well? I don't know if they tore down the old one. 

Could Calgary hold two games at the same time? If they are not having fans in the stands, they just need some good camera angles. Here, both those I mentioned works. They could even use the Langley Event Center and maybe the one Abbotsford played in. Could be the same thing? How is UBC's arena?

Does the UofC have their own facilities to play hockey in? 
UBC does here as well. 

Also, in US cities, they could play in college towns where they have enough rinks to go around. 

Where did Boston College play? 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

Could make sense, but cities that have multiple rinks available for practice facility could work. 

Vancouver has ice that runs summertime. 

I am not sure about Calgary and Edmonton, but I would guess that they have enough rinks to house 8 teams to practice in. 

I am sure any city could. Plus, there wouldn't be any public going to rinks anyway, with a shutdown. But my guess is that some of those other NHL cities would or could have enough rinks to hold 8 teams to practice in. They'd really only need 4, and they could have two practices per day. 

For that matter, they'd only need a few rinks that could hold NHL games. 

Vancouver has Rogers and the Pacific Coliseum. Edmonton might have two as well? I don't know if they tore down the old one. 

Could Calgary hold two games at the same time? If they are not having fans in the stands, they just need some good camera angles. Here, both those I mentioned works. They could even use the Langley Event Center and maybe the one Abbotsford played in. Could be the same thing? How is UBC's arena?

Does the UofC have their own facilities to play hockey in? 
UBC does here as well. 

Also, in US cities, they could play in college towns where they have enough rinks to go around. 

Where did Boston College play? 

On the Athletic they listed Calgary, Ottawa, Florida and Winnipeg as cities that are not options to have games played in their cities, due mostly to lack of facilities 

4 hours ago, robrob74 said:

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

On the Athletic they listed Calgary, Ottawa, Florida and Winnipeg as cities that are not options to have games played in their cities, due mostly to lack of facilities 

Edmonton has like two times more rinks than Calgary.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Edmonton has like two times more rinks than Calgary.

that’s weird! You’d think a winter city like Calgary would house more? I guess outdoor ice is too easy to come by

17 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I guess that's another reason why Calgary was pushing for another Olympics? Something the Olympics did for Vancouver was that a bunch of facilities got some upgrades, and then there were about one or two more that got built, and even though the Canada Line was already approved, it fast-tracked it to get done sooner. 

42 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I guess that's another reason why Calgary was pushing for another Olympics? Something the Olympics did for Vancouver was that a bunch of facilities got some upgrades, and then there were about one or two more that got built, and even though the Canada Line was already approved, it fast-tracked it to get done sooner. 

In this case, Calgary probably isn't an option because of the Saddledome. I think the Dome has the Flames dressing room, Roughnecks/away NHL dressing room and the Hitmen room. In that article on the Athletic they mentioned that most of the newer arenas have 4-6 NHL quality locker rooms.

Aside from that Calgary definitely has enough quality practice facilities. I mean Canada Olympic Park is the home of Hockey Canada, they have enough sheets of ice for a team to have their own practice ice and locker rooms.

The latest idea reported by Spector is something like the top 6 from each division play in their own bubble.

The Pacific would then look like

EDM vs VGK best of 3, this series would be to decide the division winner, the loser is the 2 seed

3. CGY vs 6. ANA loser goes home best 2 of 3

4. VAN vs 5. ARI loser goes home best 2 of 3

The issue with this format is what do you do when this “tournament” is over and it’s time to play the central? Do you need to be quarantined if you are flying to Dallas, since you’ve been in a different country than the USA? What happens if a player leaves the bubble, to go to the hospital ? There are reports that player has to sit out for 2 weeks.

Not to mention the Rangers and Blackhawks would be excluded in this example and the Ducks and Sabres would be playoff teams. 

But I will say Edmonton would be a good fit if this idea comes to fruition. There is a hotel attached to the arena and a practice rink. Have meals catered to the hotel room and the players would never have to leave the bubble

12 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The latest idea reported by Spector is something like the top 6 from each division play in their own bubble.

The Pacific would then look like

EDM vs VGK best of 3, this series would be to decide the division winner, the loser is the 2 seed

3. CGY vs 6. ANA loser goes home best 2 of 3

4. VAN vs 5. ARI loser goes home best 2 of 3

The issue with this format is what do you do when this “tournament” is over and it’s time to play the central? Do you need to be quarantined if you are flying to Dallas, since you’ve been in a different country than the USA? What happens if a player leaves the bubble, to go to the hospital ? There are reports that player has to sit out for 2 weeks.

Not to mention the Rangers and Blackhawks would be excluded in this example and the Ducks and Sabres would be playoff teams. 

But I will say Edmonton would be a good fit if this idea comes to fruition. There is a hotel attached to the arena and a practice rink. Have meals catered to the hotel room and the players would never have to leave the bubble

Are they actual playoff games, or are they like exhibition or training camp? Or even just regular season games to add to point totals? 

Although, I guess in some divisions where the point totals are closer and teams are on the verge of making the playoffs, how can you exclude them?

I think they should have a week long training camp, then go into a one or two game exhibition, then play out the season to maybe 72 or 74 games for seeding? 

If they want to shorten the playoffs the way you've mentioned, then they can play divisional seeds, and go 5 game series. There would probably be sweeps and 3-1 series. Also, could go 5 game round one, 5 games round two, 7 games and 7 games. 

Green screen the fan seating and use visual effects! Click a switch when the home team scores! They raise out of their seats

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

Green screen the fan seating and use visual effects! Click a switch when the home team scores! They raise out of their seats

Maybe the players need to sit in the stands to keep 6 feet apart while on the bench.

From:   Reviewing every NHL trade involving 2020 conditional picks   https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/reviewing-every-nhl-trade-involving-2020-conditional-picks/   

Here's an opinion on the Lucic / Neal trade from from Sportsnet's Chris Johnston..

Trade: Edmonton trades Milan Lucic and a conditional 2020 third-round pick to the Calgary Flames in exchange for James Neal. In the event both of the following conditions are met, Edmonton will transfer its own 2020 third-rounder:

• James Neal scores 21 or more goals during the 2019-20 NHL regular season

• The difference in the number of goals scored by James Neal in the 2019-20 NHL regular season compared to the number of goals scored by Milan Lucic in the 2019-20 NHL regular season is +10 (plus ten) or greater.

Analysis: If we were to sum this one up in emoji form, it would get the “side eyes.” Neal sat on 19 goals (in 55 games) when the season was paused while Lucic had eight — totals that, if prorated, would meet the conditions requiring Edmonton to send a third-rounder to its biggest rival. But should those goal totals even be prorated? Taken at face value, Neal didn’t score the 21 goals needed to satisfy the first condition. I’m not sure there is a completely fair solution here, which is why a rare Battle of Alberta trade is arguably the murkiest involving conditional 2020 picks.

2 hours ago, Carty said:

From:   Reviewing every NHL trade involving 2020 conditional picks   https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/reviewing-every-nhl-trade-involving-2020-conditional-picks/   

Here's an opinion on the Lucic / Neal trade from from Sportsnet's Chris Johnston..

Trade: Edmonton trades Milan Lucic and a conditional 2020 third-round pick to the Calgary Flames in exchange for James Neal. In the event both of the following conditions are met, Edmonton will transfer its own 2020 third-rounder:

• James Neal scores 21 or more goals during the 2019-20 NHL regular season

• The difference in the number of goals scored by James Neal in the 2019-20 NHL regular season compared to the number of goals scored by Milan Lucic in the 2019-20 NHL regular season is +10 (plus ten) or greater.

Analysis: If we were to sum this one up in emoji form, it would get the “side eyes.” Neal sat on 19 goals (in 55 games) when the season was paused while Lucic had eight — totals that, if prorated, would meet the conditions requiring Edmonton to send a third-rounder to its biggest rival. But should those goal totals even be prorated? Taken at face value, Neal didn’t score the 21 goals needed to satisfy the first condition. I’m not sure there is a completely fair solution here, which is why a rare Battle of Alberta trade is arguably the murkiest involving conditional 2020 picks.

Half the conditions are met, Neal scored 10 more than Lucic... lots of grey area. It sounds like they are "assuming" TOR and VAN are playoff teams, if they draft on points percentage causing them to give up their firsts.. if they can assume that why can't they assume Neal would score 2 goals in the remaining dozen or so games.

I don't think the NHL can get into starting to prorate stats for clause purposes. Really slippery slope there.

Sounds like what will happen, which make sense to me, is the NHL will recommend a price and essentially make teams re negotiate the trade. In this scenario I could see the Flames maybe getting a 5th/6th rounder. 

I know Bettman has been going around to different political higher ups and the league can make whatever plans for whatever timeline but until the proper authorities give the OK for inter provincial/state and international travel it has to be a holding pattern until then. I cant see it looking to favorably if Canada allows pro hockey players to cross to the US while all other work related travel is still banned. Plus also getting the rest of players home countries to buy into the idea that this is the best idea and possibly having to deal with the same scrutinizing.

47 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

I know Bettman has been going around to different political higher ups and the league can make whatever plans for whatever timeline but until the proper authorities give the OK for inter provincial/state and international travel it has to be a holding pattern until then. I cant see it looking to favorably if Canada allows pro hockey players to cross to the US while all other work related travel is still banned. Plus also getting the rest of players home countries to buy into the idea that this is the best idea and possibly having to deal with the same scrutinizing.

The one thing the league has going for them is, don't they have the teams have their own planes? It's the interaction of pilots and strict rules teams follow. But I think that's why they're saying, if they get put up in one city, then the whole division could play out of it and not have to worry about travel anymore. Only until the playoffs. Even then, they could maybe play in a few cities with no travel, especially if they made the teams making the playoffs divisional. They could stay in one city until the conference finals when the divisions finally meet up.  

On point percentage right now, but I'd think they'd play up to 74 games or so. The problem with that is Vancouver seems to have played one less than the others so math doesn't get them caught up unless they play an out of division game. But based on point percentages:

Round 1:  

VGK vs CGY

EDM vs VAN

STL vs NSH

AVS vs DAL

Round 2:

EDM vs CGY

Round 3: 

AVS vs CGY 😛 THE REMATCH!

I think the Flames can get up for teams within the division. Last year I think they believed their hype and were stunned that they just couldn't get up to speed. Their best game of the series against the Ads was the last one. They got it handed to them, but I felt at least they skated with them in that one. The others, they stayed close and yet they didn't skate in them, and had chances to win. They beat themselves in that series, and it is the mindsets I think that I worry about most with the team. It seems to take them a lot of brain power to play mistake free hockey. Thinking that could be the hard-nosed coaching though too...  

Sounds like as early as next week we could hear what the NHL's plans are to resume hockey.  Still not official if there will be a regular season or into playoffs but Flames have confirmed there will be no more games in Calgary for the 19/20 season and have started offering options to season ticket holders. 

Friedman suggested the idea of teams playing a 5 game round-robin with the fellow teams in their bubble, this would serve as a regular season, but also in effect a playoff round as the 5th and 6th placed teams at the end of the round- robin would be eliminated, it guarantees every team 5 games for those teams that are worried about spending all this time getting back up to game speed for potentially losing out in 2 straight of a best of 3. 

On 5/5/2020 at 9:26 AM, cross16 said:

I don't think the NHL can get into starting to prorate stats for clause purposes. Really slippery slope there.

Sounds like what will happen, which make sense to me, is the NHL will recommend a price and essentially make teams re negotiate the trade. In this scenario I could see the Flames maybe getting a 5th/6th rounder. 

So true.  I heard about the idea of re-negotiating trades which makes sense.

If they can't agree the NHL imposes the trade conditions.

But, I guess the way it looks to me is that the regular season is completed.

The players (NHLPA) don't want to walk into a playoff format right from the start.

The TV revenue from the remaining 12 or so games is also a big drawing card.

The MLB released their guidelines for their return to play.

High fives, fist-bumps, hugging is prohibited.

Makes you wonder about the NHL. It's a players instinct to give a face-wash to an opposing player in front of the net. Is the NHL gonna prevent goal-mouth scrums? That would jeopardize the integrity of the game... I mean it's playoff hockey we're talking about

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Makes you wonder about the NHL. It's a players instinct to give a face-wash to an opposing player in front of the net. Is the NHL gonna prevent goal-mouth scrums? That would jeopardize the integrity of the game... I mean it's playoff hockey we're talking about

what about all of the spitting? There’s a ton of it in hockey and baseball. 

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It doesn't work with hockey being a contact sport.