The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
The_People1

COVID-19 and NHL

1 hour ago, CheersMan said:

Please jog our memory. What did China specifically isolate?

A new strand of flu.

Not sure why my original post got so slanted.

It was meant as an honest sentiment.

But I guess Facebook is now a news source.🙄

4 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Not an expert in anything like this but I think it points more to Russia keeping its numbers to itself.  That and the fact as far as I know Russia isnt as much of a worldwide destination for travel as most of the heavily affected areas.

ya,

plus BC numbers are probably low because they’re not testing anyone as they don’t want to use up all of the tests. So they’re saying stay home, ride out the symptoms if you have them. Who knows what the real numbers are?

13 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Are you buying the "it was implanted by the US" narrative?

Being as I have neither the time nor patience to listen to hack bloggers, I don't even know that narrative.

So I guess it's a no.

Here's my true story though.

In mid-January, having made my own typical meals for days, I inexplicably spent a day vomiting. Yesterday they announced that stomach problems could be an early sign.

I couldn't even look at food. Next day, my throat started being really dry. So I started on my routine of cider vinegar, garlic, chloraseptic throat spray, echinacea and Vitamin C, to no avail. My throat was so dry and sore that I didn't talk and stayed home from work. My body ached.

Finally, after 10 days of not getting better, I went to the clinic to test for strep, negative. But I fought with the nurse, which became 3 nurses, to give me a penicillin prescription regardless, which they eventually did. About 5-6 days later, it was gone.

Afterwards, many told me that this years flu is particularly hard to shake.

So I can only assume that Wuhan was the first to detect the actual strain, that it didn't necessarily emanate from there.

It's a little hard to believe that 1 province in China triggered a global pandemic.

Trump finally said 1 right thing, finally. Warm weather will defeat it, but it's now a part of flu season.

And if this is Judgement Day, we're all doomed. Based on toilet paper, of all things.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Being as I have neither the time nor patience to listen to hack bloggers, I don't even know that narrative.

So I guess it's a no.

Here's my true story though.

In mid-January, having made my own typical meals for days, I inexplicably spent a day vomiting. Yesterday they announced that stomach problems could be an early sign.

I couldn't even look at food. Next day, my throat started being really dry. So I started on my routine of cider vinegar, garlic, chloraseptic throat spray, echinacea and Vitamin C, to no avail. My throat was so dry and sore that I didn't talk and stayed home from work. My body ached.

Finally, after 10 days of not getting better, I went to the clinic to test for strep, negative. But I fought with the nurse, which became 3 nurses, to give me a penicillin prescription regardless, which they eventually did. About 5-6 days later, it was gone.

Afterwards, many told me that this years flu is particularly hard to shake.

So I can only assume that Wuhan was the first to detect the actual strain, that it didn't necessarily emanate from there.

It's a little hard to believe that 1 province in China triggered a global pandemic.

Trump finally said 1 right thing, finally. Warm weather will defeat it, but it's now a part of flu season.

And if this is Judgement Day, we're all doomed. Based on toilet paper, of all things.

Sounds like what you had has nothing to do with the whole COVID issue. Trying to determine the site of where it all started mat never be 100% known, maybe someone ate a bat or pangolin, maybe some other source.  It's already known that China tried to cover it up before it got out of hand, and considering the amount of deaths that started in Wuhan I cant imagine it starting anywhere else.

the American author Dean Koontz predicted the coronavirus outbreak in 1981. His novel The Eyes of Darkness made reference to a killer virus called “Wuhan-400” – eerily predicting the Chinese city where Covid-19 would emerge. 

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/mar/05/theres-something-out-there-spread-of-disease

12 hours ago, conundrumed said:

When do we get the mark of the beast?  Lol

My theory on toilet paper...

This virus started to hit Hong Kong late-December to early-January.  People there were beginning to bunker down.  Hong Kong has gone through a history of episodes like SARS, H5N1, Avian Flu, etc, etc... they have experience.  We've probably all seen videos online of line-ups around an entire block for masks. 

Understanding that Hong Kong is a "city-state" that does not have natural resources and relies almost entirely on imports for goods... one day, some random dude that nobody even knows who he is, started a rumour.  This rumour was, toilet paper shipments from China will completely stop because the Chinese factory may be contaminated with Covid-19.  

This created a frenzy and within 24 hours, Hong Kong sold out of toilet paper.

Both because it was humourus and unbelievable, western media picked up on it.  News of Hong Kong selling out of toilet paper went viral on Twitter, Youtube, and evening news in America and the West.  Hong Kong was completely sold out of toilet paper for a week.  Of course a week later, the next shipment of toilet paper came to Hong Kong and to this day, shops are stocked to the ceiling with toilet paper and no one is buying because people have already stocked up months worth of it all at once.

In hindsight, Hong Kong was a victim of what may have been the most brilliant marketing campaign ever conducted on mankind.  It was so brilliant in fact, that it subliminally programmed even the West to ponder, "what if I ran out of toilet paper?"  Did you ask yourselves?  It's not even that you NEED to buy so much.  It's the fear that others buy it all and you have none left.

It's absolutely laughable that Canada has so much wood and lumber that we fear we will run out of toilet paper.  It's literally the last thing to worry about here.  Yet, we all saw the initial story about Hong Kong and we didn't want to be that guy who has to go over to the neighbours to ask for a roll.

On 3/21/2020 at 9:31 PM, The_People1 said:

When do we get the mark of the beast?  Lol

My theory on toilet paper...

This virus started to hit Hong Kong late-December to early-January.  People there were beginning to bunker down.  Hong Kong has gone through a history of episodes like SARS, H5N1, Avian Flu, etc, etc... they have experience.  We've probably all seen videos online of line-ups around an entire block for masks. 

Understanding that Hong Kong is a "city-state" that does not have natural resources and relies almost entirely on imports for goods... one day, some random dude that nobody even knows who he is, started a rumour.  This rumour was, toilet paper shipments from China will completely stop because the Chinese factory may be contaminated with Covid-19.  

This created a frenzy and within 24 hours, Hong Kong sold out of toilet paper.

Both because it was humourus and unbelievable, western media picked up on it.  News of Hong Kong selling out of toilet paper went viral on Twitter, Youtube, and evening news in America and the West.  Hong Kong was completely sold out of toilet paper for a week.  Of course a week later, the next shipment of toilet paper came to Hong Kong and to this day, shops are stocked to the ceiling with toilet paper and no one is buying because people have already stocked up months worth of it all at once.

In hindsight, Hong Kong was a victim of what may have been the most brilliant marketing campaign ever conducted on mankind.  It was so brilliant in fact, that it subliminally programmed even the West to ponder, "what if I ran out of toilet paper?"  Did you ask yourselves?  It's not even that you NEED to buy so much.  It's the fear that others buy it all and you have none left.

It's absolutely laughable that Canada has so much wood and lumber that we fear we will run out of toilet paper.  It's literally the last thing to worry about here.  Yet, we all saw the initial story about Hong Kong and we didn't want to be that guy who has to go over to the neighbours to ask for a roll.

Thats probably the best explanation I've seen concerning the TP hoarding thats going on. I wondered who are these people were as everyone I know werent hoarding it, knew of anyone  hoarding it,  or could understand why.  The major retailers were way too late on putting restrictions up possibly adding to the problem.

Myself, I'm not hoarding anything yet, just buying a little extra of things that may be useful as this drags on,  trying to find ways to stave off boredom, and making sure my parents out in the boonies have everything they need.  As for all you forum members everyone keep safe, keep sane, keep an eye out for those who may need it, and just realize........  the Flames were about to go on a hot streak that would have carried them to the SC championship,  and you can't prove otherwise. :ph34r:

• Like 1

from: https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/olympics-postponement-extends-window-stage-stanley-cup-playoffs/

Olympics postponement extends window to stage Stanley Cup Playoffs

The impending postponement of the Tokyo Olympics will extend the potential window for the Stanley Cup Playoffs to be held this summer, the NHL told its teams on Monday.

That news came as part of a question-and-answer sheet circulated along with a league memo, according to a source.

The NHL also conducted a teleconference with its Board of Governors for the first time since putting its season on pause March 12. Monday afternoon’s session with governors included updates on the COVID-19 outbreak, financial projections on how the league could be affected by the pandemic and a discussion about some of the contingency options under consideration for a potential resumption of play.

That now includes the possibility of extending the playoffs beyond July 24, when the Olympics in Tokyo were originally set to get underway. It only seems like a matter of time before those Games are officially put off until 2021, with the Canadian Olympic Committee already having withdrawn its athletes and IOC member Dick Pound telling The Canadian Press on Monday: “You’re looking at a postponement. I think that’s out there now.”

For the NHL, it extends the window to meet its stated goal of crowning a champion this season. The league shares a U.S. broadcast partner with the Olympics in NBC and had previously believed the playoffs had to be wrapped up before the cauldron was lit during the Opening Ceremonies.

That extra time could be valuable with the coronavirus still spreading rapidly in North America — although at this stage there’s only so much the league can even tell team owners about where things are headed.

It remains a huge unknown for both the wider population and the sports leagues that operate within them.

While it’s believed the NHL has already engaged in a fair amount of dialogue on contingency plans — what does the playoff format look like if games can resume May 15? Or June 1? Or June 8? How is the start of next season impacted if the Stanley Cup isn’t awarded until Aug. 15 or Aug. 30? — the league is essentially in a holding pattern when it comes to making actual decisions.

Those will ultimately depend heavily on recommendations from the governments and leading authorities like the World Health Organization and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

In a question-and-answer document published by the NHL’s public relations department on Monday afternoon, the league indicated that it isn’t sure if any part of the regular season might still be played or what a reimagined playoff format will look like.

“The form and format of resumption of play scenarios will depend entirely on what transpires between now and when we are permitted and able to resume — and, ultimately, on timing and taking into account logistical constraints,” said the NHL’s release. “We are going to have to be flexible and react to events as they unfold as well as the best medical advice available.”

11 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

tenor.gif

Love. 

Hahaha I know. What a name!! Question is, does his birth certificate say “Dick” or “Richard”? It would shed some light on the person himself or his parents lol

Playing hockey in July is IMO a horrible idea. The only way I would support that is you take all the division winners and you have a round robin international style tournament. 

I wonder what the players are going to say about this. You are going to put them through the grind of a playoffs and then give them what a month off before next season start? Get ready for a monster injury list next year if that's the case. 

5 hours ago, cross16 said:

Playing hockey in July is IMO a horrible idea. The only way I would support that is you take all the division winners and you have a round robin international style tournament. 

I wonder what the players are going to say about this. You are going to put them through the grind of a playoffs and then give them what a month off before next season start? Get ready for a monster injury list next year if that's the case. 

Has anyone discussed the possibility of flying all players to a remote location that's COVID-19 free like, I dunno, Whitehorse or something?  Play and stream all games online?  Try to recoup some revenue that way?

Of course will need to also fly in doctors, agents, wives, and all that good stuff.  But at least they are in a safe place and can carry on doing hockey.  Someone will have to do the math on that to see if the NHL comes out on top or not.  But it might be better than losing $300-million by ending the season.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Has anyone discussed the possibility of flying all players to a remote location that's COVID-19 free like, I dunno, Whitehorse or something?  Play and stream all games online?  Try to recoup some revenue that way?

Of course will need to also fly in doctors, agents, wives, and all that good stuff.  But at least they are in a safe place and can carry on doing hockey.  Someone will have to do the math on that to see if the NHL comes out on top or not.  But it might be better than losing $300-million by ending the season.

I think with players having been diagnosed its not entirely about the threat of the spread amongst large groups, but also prevent the spread throughout the players.

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

This is the only plan I can think would work and was chatting about this with friends the other day. Find a "clean" site, whereever you can don't be picky, and hold a tournament. Put all the division winners in there, round robin style then a single elimination playoff and you have a winner. Gate revenue would probably be weak by I think a tournament like this would be a lot of fun and TV rights could be awesome. 

4 hours ago, sak22 said:

I think with players having been diagnosed its not entirely about the threat of the spread amongst large groups, but also prevent the spread throughout the players.

Only Senators players tested positive.  So, maybe they stay behind since they have no chance to make playoffs anyways. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

This is the only plan I can think would work and was chatting about this with friends the other day. Find a "clean" site, whereever you can don't be picky, and hold a tournament. Put all the division winners in there, round robin style then a single elimination playoff and you have a winner. Gate revenue would probably be weak by I think a tournament like this would be a lot of fun and TV rights could be awesome. 

TV audience would be huge considering everyone is locked down at home.

You can tell our liberal elites have never flown commercial as the first thing you are told is "Put the oxygen mask on yourself first then attend to others".

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-ottawa-faces-criticism-for-sending-16-tonnes-of-personal-protective/

TBH at this point, NBA and NHL are a foregone conclusion, the seasons should be cancelled.

MLB already is gonna have a big chunk of their season wiped out.

As a sports fan, I’m hoping we can have this contained, so college football and NFL can start on time. Then we can also have NHL training camp on time 

Not sure if local restrictions will still apply but all this seasons completed games seem to be available to watch free on the nhl live app. 

Might be a good time waster during home isolation. 

On 3/26/2020 at 11:10 AM, redfire11 said:

You can tell our liberal elites have never flown commercial as the first thing you are told is "Put the oxygen mask on yourself first then attend to others".

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-ottawa-faces-criticism-for-sending-16-tonnes-of-personal-protective/

Sometimes, the world is awesome.

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

It is, and I commend the "Bank of China" for stepping up and donating the much needed medical supplies...   But no supplies have come back from the Chinese government in return for what we sent them yet though...

and speaking of the Chinese government, here is one of their the latest dumbass moves...

the Chinese government has recommended using Tan Re Qing, an injection containing bear bile, to treat severe and critical COVID-19 cases

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2020/03/chinese-government-promotes-bear-bile-as-coronavirus-covid19-treatment/

Sounds like one heckuva asinine idea for a solution for another virus that was caused by some of their peoples habit of eating bats and other animals that should not be on the menu...   https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/03/200317175442.htm  

Obviously they have not learned a damn thing from their latest "gift to the world"...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

That's like being shot by someone and then they throw you a bandage.

Ya we will use the bandage but NEVER forget who fired the shot.

2 hours ago, Carty said:

It is, and I commend the "Bank of China" for stepping up and donating the much needed medical supplies...   No supplies have come back from the Chinese government in return for what we sent them yet though...

and speaking of the Chinese government, here is one of their the latest dumbass moves...

the Chinese government has recommended using Tan Re Qing, an injection containing bear bile, to treat severe and critical COVID-19 cases

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2020/03/chinese-government-promotes-bear-bile-as-coronavirus-covid19-treatment/

Sounds like one heckuva asinine idea for a solution for another virus that was caused by some of their peoples habit of eating bats and other animals that should not be on the menu...   https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/03/200317175442.htm  

Obviously they have not learned a damn thing from their latest "gift to the world"...

The thing is, China didn't start eating bats a month ago.  It's been going on for a thoudand years.  Why the virus now?  Why would there be an issue suddenly?  Not to mention, there's way worse from what they eat.

Bear bile... An old remedy a couple centuries old, probably.

43 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

That's like being shot by someone and then they throw you a bandage.

Ya we will use the bandage but NEVER forget who fired the shot.

Ouch.  Tough to please.  We could've wore a bullet proof vest though.  Not like we didn't see it coming.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

The thing is, China didn't start eating bats a month ago.  It's been going on for a thoudand years.  Why the virus now?  Why would there be an issue suddenly?  Not to mention, there's way worse from what they eat.

Seriously Peeps?...   Common consensus says this Wuhan virus originated with a Horseshoe bat, and then was transferred to humans through an intermediate host like a Civet cat... 

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/03/200317175442.htm

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Bear bile... An old remedy a couple centuries old, probably.

Bear bile does actually have some medicinal value, but they need to look towards alternatives including artificial bile and synthetic compounds... 

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ecam/2016/4305074/  

Keeping bears in small cages to collect their bile from a "tap" is primitive and cruel...