The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Carty

Flames @ Kings 8pm Feb 12

2 hours ago, taz89 said:

Rittich was great no doubt but honestly....the Kings 3rd and 4th goals he should of had those and he knows it.  In any case, the inconsistency continues unfortunately...How long does BT have to wait to do something....

I honestly don't think there's anything BT can do.

The issues are many.

I'd like to see Hanifin and stats darling Backlund go away.

My biggest problem with Backlund, his whole career here, is that the team seems to always reflect him. Which to me, is not skilled enough and has to be extra D-minded because he is a quagmire on offence.

Just like most of our forwards.

I'm starting to think LA just beat the worst team in the conference.

The new reality is everyone can beat us, at any given time.

The roster leaves a lot to be desired, and the farm is no better.

No salt on this team, ever. Lackluster and lazy. Like Backlund.

We need a purge.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

And as I mention i'm not pointing out the D specifically either in terms of blame. I've been saying for weeks now that the Flames defensive game was trending in the wrong direction under Ward so this isn't even something you can point to injuries on. I blame most of the breakdowns on execution (due to a bad system and bad coaching) so this isn't to suggest Hanifin is the problem. That being said I don't think he is playing very well at all and he's exactly the guy you want to step up in this situation and show his value so the fact that he isn't is very disappointing. 

so Kylington got his face kicked in but Hanifin posts marginally better possession numbers (pointing out that there was a minor difference in their d zone stats) but he played ok? Should also point out that Hanifin was their 2nd worst dman last night by expected goals against and was the worst in terms of High danger chance %. The Flames as a team were a poor possession team last night but at least Kylington/Yelesin limited the damage. Hanifin and Adnerson gave up a ton of quality last night and while I agree the first goal was on Rasmus (as I said his partner did him no favors) the Carter goal was also Hanifin not picking up his man right in the slot. Even on that breakaway goal he sure took his time coming back up to the point. he committed to the rush and that's fine but once it doesn't work you better communicate what you are going to do and he didn't. got stuck in no mans land and while I would have liked Anderson to treat it safer I also see why he thought Hanifin was coming back. it was an indecisive play by Hanifin too. 

Here is my problem with Hanifin, what is he? The Flames have tried to use him in a defensive role alongside Hamonic and he's been poor at it. Other than Stone, Davidson or Hamonic he is near the bottom for the Flames in giving up shots and chances. Ok so he's a two way dman that can rush the puck but yes in back to back years now he's been avg at best at driving possession. Ok he's an offensive guy you can use on the PP? well I mean take a look at his work on the PP recently and can anyone tell me they see a PP QB here? On top of that he just reads the game at such a below avg level. 3 times last night he got beat wide simply because he lost his gap. When he is backing up in the neutral zone or defending the blueline he's just so ineffective for someone of his experience level which is why, IMO, he gives up a lot of chances.  It's just simple fundamentals like gap control, marking your man in front of the net that Hanifin just continues to struggle with and that really frustrates me especially when IMO he isn't bringing the upside at the offensive end. 

I think that’s pretty much how Sarich reads it as he says on the morning show. The Flames attention to detail and simple fundamental basics are right off! There aren’t any! And I believe he is analyzing Hanifin in those times he is discussing their coverage, but also mentions it is a team thing. 

this is last week. I haven’t even listened to this morning yet. Boomer and co seem to tell it as it is and praise when praise-worthy and critique when it is deserved. 

I wonder what these coaches are teaching on D. I honestly don’t necessarily think the PK has looked as good as the numbers say. They play a lazier system than most and it allows other teams to pressure. I see the same on D at regular strength. They seem to play in a way that allows teams to skate around them.

then guys don’t guys don’t seem to, for the life of them, know their assignments, other guys are out of position and there’s no support when anyone gets the puck. The structure is way off!

and the way they defend, they don’t know how or who to take and then their stick placement is all wrong and I think it’s a whole team thing. There’s a disconnect with basic fundamentals. 

is that leadership or teaching?

14 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I honestly don't think there's anything BT can do.

The issues are many.

I'd like to see Hanifin and stats darling Backlund go away.

My biggest problem with Backlund, his whole career here, is that the team seems to always reflect him. Which to me, is not skilled enough and has to be extra D-minded because he is a quagmire on offence.

Just like most of our forwards.

I'm starting to think LA just beat the worst team in the conference.

The new reality is everyone can beat us, at any given time.

The roster leaves a lot to be desired, and the farm is no better.

No salt on this team, ever. Lackluster and lazy. Like Backlund.

We need a purge.

I know a lot won’t say it or agree, I also think LA’s size played a big factor in last night’s loss. Lucic almost lost that fight and the Kings seemed to run us out of the park. Then they  jumbled the neutral Zone and our guys can’t Seem to adjust and passes in each other’s feet and then guys started to bottle up and get in each other’s way.

i see this from time to time in their game.

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I think at the end of the day I think we are fairly close on our evaluations, in a perfect world Hanifin would be 3rd on our depth chart for LD behind Giordano and Valimaki, and I think that's how it plays out by the end of next season.

I think we all have our little biases good and bad with certain players. I know I do, I try my best to avoid it and stay partial. 

All I am really trying to get at is, for me I would rather have Hanifin play more minutes than Kylington, and I think we will probably disagree there. 

When Valimaki overtakes Hanifin on the depth chart, I am fine with moving Hanifin, I just think we aren't as deep or as good on defense as even the GM thinks they are, so moving pieces off the backend right now doesn't make sense for me.

I don't think we are far apart but for me the main reason I am pro trading Hanifin now is I don't want them to get where they got with Bennett. I think Hanifin's value will always be "OK" because he has a decent contract but I think he's close enough to his high pick status you may be able to find a GM who still thinks there is another gear. Even on the broadcast this year against Carolina the announcers were commenting Rob Brind Amour was still waiting for Hanifin to pop so I think it's possible you can find a team willing to give you a little more thinking they've got some potential. I'm comfortable with this minutes going to the likes of Brodie (who I would re sign), Kylington and Valimaki. 

I feel this is one of the mistakes they made with Bennett who they should have traded when they hired Peters. Instead they waited and the asset value dropped and I don't want them to do that with Hanifin.  Maybe I'm wrong and that doesn't matter in which case I would be less pro trade Hanifin but i'm still more interested in Valimaki and Kylington then I am Hanifin. 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I wonder what these coaches are teaching on D. I honestly don’t necessarily think the PK has looked as good as the numbers say. They play a lazier system than most and it allows other teams to pressure. I see the same on D at regular strength. They seem to play in a way that allows teams to skate around them.

then guys don’t guys don’t seem to, for the life of them, know their assignments, other guys are out of position and there’s no support when anyone gets the puck. The structure is way off!

and the way they defend, they don’t know how or who to take and then their stick placement is all wrong and I think it’s a whole team thing. There’s a disconnect with basic fundamentals. 

is that leadership or teaching?

IMO it's coaching and a flawed system. Under Peters they Flames played with more pressure, on the bluelines, in the neutral zone and in the d zone. They wanted to push the puck the other way and yes it led to gaps where they gave up some chances but that happens. 

Under Ward, they've gone to more of a collapse system. Ward seems to have, at both ends, prioritized high danger chances. From what I see the Flames d back up and are willing to give up the blueline but they want to protect the home plate area around the net/slot. They seem to always have 3 guys there and then they play a mix of man/zone at the top. That's where i'm seeing a lot of confusion because guys are not sure when they are supposed to be passing off, or when they are supposed to be checking. Because of the passive nature of what they are doing they are giving up more shots and more chances but their scoring chance numbers and high danger chances actually still look good. It's a quality vs quantity argument. 

That's what I'm seeing anyway. I really don't like it and I don't think it fits the team he has at all but it seems to be the way Ward wants to play it. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cross16 said:

coaching and a flawed system

Wardo would be fine as an assistant coach in the NHL, or even a head coach in the A...   

But enough time has gone by to say that maybe he is not ready to be a head coach in the NHL...