The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Carty

Hawks @ Flames 8pm Feb 15

Lindholm has been the Flames' MVP this season. He is no doubt the best RW on the roster and you could argue that he is the best center on the team as well. He plays in every situation, PP, PK, last minute. He can play the game any way you want it, he has the skill to play a skill game and enough grit when the game gets more physical.

• Like 1

Dumb time to pull the goalie.

Flames finally mounting a comeback with chances.

No room for error.

And they don;t get it deep.

Man what a terrible play by Monahan, he needs to be way harder on the puck there, just an extremely soft play.

Tough to win when your top 6 forwards take the night off, with the exception of Gaudreau and Lindholm. Backlund and Monahan were terrible, Tkachuk and Mangiapane were just invisible.

I can't figure this team out. They go on the road and take 6 out of possible 8 points and you think maybe the ship is finally righting itself, and then they come home and give up 8. 

No wonder Treliving hasn't pulled the trigger on a trade yet, this team hasn't shown that it deserves the help.

The Flames are consistent!

Coming off a big win

Playing at home

Playing a team they should easily beat.

Then getting their butts kicked. Hard to stomach.

25 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The coach has no idea of who is struggling in games.

No recognition of when the PP isn;t working.

No idea of how bad the pairing look in a game.

No idea....

haha, you are so right.  Gosh there are so many things that needed to change this hockey team, it's not even funny.  GM, coach, Players...  Let's start from the GM first... lol

7 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Tough to win when your top 6 forwards take the night off, with the exception of Gaudreau and Lindholm. Backlund and Monahan were terrible, Tkachuk and Mangiapane were just invisible.

I can't figure this team out. They go on the road and take 6 out of possible 8 points and you think maybe the ship is finally righting itself, and then they come home and give up 8. 

No wonder Treliving hasn't pulled the trigger on a trade yet, this team hasn't shown that it deserves the help.

Please remember BT was the guy think this is the team to win Stanley Cup since last trade deadline...  He is also responsible to get them a real coach.  We have lot of average players, but we lack one of two players who can make difference night in and night out. 

18 minutes ago, crazyflames said:

Please remember BT was the guy think this is the team to win Stanley Cup since last trade deadline...  He is also responsible to get them a real coach.  We have lot of average players, but we lack one of two players who can make difference night in and night out. 

Well when you had a team that was 2nd in the NHL last year would you not have thought the same?

This is not a playoff team. At this rate it’s better to just avoid the embarrassment of another 1st round sweep. Lose 8-4 at home? Any team that lets in 8 goals at home while in the midst of a playoff run isn’t defensively sound enough to sustain playoff intensity. We need a coach. There are a ton of top tier ones available right now. For now, acquire the best assets u can by TDL and focus on securing a coach for next season that can finally put a stop to all this pretending. 

We were too loosey goosey playing like its pond hockey.  I don't even see a structure anymore.  We just have guys playings heads up and flowing with the play as best they can. 

Defensively, it's always a mad scramble to rush back.

Offensively, the attack lacks set plays and setups.  We don't work the puck around with purpose.  Bodies don't moves with an understanding of game plan and X's and O's.  Just random mix of one guy playing East-West paired with another playing North-South. 

10 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

We were too loosey goosey playing like its pond hockey.  I don't even see a structure anymore.  We just have guys playings heads up and flowing with the play as best they can. 

Offensively, the attack lacks set plays and setups.  We don't work the puck around with purpose.  Bodies don't moves with an understanding of game plan and X's and O's.  Just random mix of one guy playing East-West paired with another playing North-South. 

It’s because the Calgary Flames do not have an identity. Atleast not a successful one. They need a coach because everything you just said is due to a lack of philosophy behind their game. No cohesion, lack of focus because it is just a bunch of X and Os out there with no purpose. 

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Well when you had a team that was 2nd in the NHL last year would you not have thought the same?

I didn’t even last year. I saw the flaws throughout the whole year. 

Routinely outplayed in the first, start getting going in the 2nd and our score the opponents in the 3rd. Sure they had great possession stats but I always felt they made life easy on other goalies. Teams let them skate around the outside and made the possession stats look great!

In a few months some are going to quote the stats and say they got 38 shots and therefore should have won the game in LA... Last year wasn’t quite like that but I definitely saw flaws. I didn’t see us as the 2nd overall team everyone else did. 

I kept saying it here and to my dad that this team was flawed. Sure they’re not playing as good as last year but I am not kidding myself thinking they were close to winning cups then either. 

13 hours ago, The_People1 said:

The up and down play of this team is on the coaches.

The first shift somehow has Stone playing so far into the zone that a bad pinch leaves him beaing the last guy back.  WTF?

The slowest guy we have playing that far in the zone?

Can you not see what we have available for D-men and think this is a winning strategy?

Maybe just maybe recognize that the attack needs to consider transition going the other way?

We count on our goalies holding the fort instead of playing to stop the puck getting there.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

The up and down play of this team is on the coaches.

The first shift somehow has Stone playing so far into the zone that a bad pinch leaves him beaing the last guy back.  WTF?

The slowest guy we have playing that far in the zone?

Can you not see what we have available for D-men and think this is a winning strategy?

Maybe just maybe recognize that the attack needs to consider transition going the other way?

We count on our goalies holding the fort instead of playing to stop the puck getting there.

that’s a Satoshi Nakamototy BT move. Buys him out and then re-signs him. It really makes me wonder about their evaluation process considering they think Stone was a good option and couldn’t find anyone else. 

although this is probably how they should’ve drawn up the D at the beginning of the year:

Giordano, Brodie 

Hanifin, Andersson 

Fantenberg, NOT STONE

I was hoping they’d re-sing Fanta... I’d have played Kylington in the AHL all year and work on his all-round game.

I get that he wanted a contract and that we had Valamaki at the time. For some reason I still wanted to re-sign him though.