The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Carty

Bruins @ Flames 7pm Feb 21

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

yup! Talbot was having a hard time tracking it. Those two goals where they bounced are probably difficult but he also wasn’t quite square. 3 goals were bad.

Ward talked about the two goals.

He said that the first one deflected off Stone andd came back into the slot really quick.

The one that Monahan lost the guy was also quick off the boards.

He said that Moahan was on the wrong side of the player, but otherwise was not a bad goal.

Breakaway?

50/50.

I felt he went down too early.

Would have liked to stop 2 of 3, but most goalies would not.

On the plus side, Backlund hit the net twice.

JH was dangerous and didn;t get a shot away on the breakaway due to a great defensive play (hook or slash?).

The best team in the East managed to shut down the ice in the 2nd.

What I didn;t like was the lack of shots from the point and the over-passing on the PP.

Ras on the top unit was a good look, but they don't look like they have practiced enough.

I like Ward but he just hasn’t been effective as a coach. Once the dust settled we can see just how many glaring deficiencies this team has. What’s alarming is our state of defence. It used to be the backbone of this team but now it’s looking extremely average..even with Gio at the helm. Weren’t we one of the top teams last year with the fewest shots against average? What happened to that defensive structure?

4 hours ago, rickross said:

I like Ward but he just hasn’t been effective as a coach. Once the dust settled we can see just how many glaring deficiencies this team has. What’s alarming is our state of defence. It used to be the backbone of this team but now it’s looking extremely average..even with Gio at the helm. Weren’t we one of the top teams last year with the fewest shots against average? What happened to that defensive structure?

Geoff Ward was named interim head coach. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Geoff Ward was named interim head coach. 

Well, I thought Huska was in charge of the defense.

Why has the structure changed with Ward comng in?

22 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Ward talked about the two goals.

He said that the first one deflected off Stone andd came back into the slot really quick.

The one that Monahan lost the guy was also quick off the boards.

He said that Moahan was on the wrong side of the player, but otherwise was not a bad goal.

Breakaway?

50/50.

I felt he went down too early.

Would have liked to stop 2 of 3, but most goalies would not.

On the plus side, Backlund hit the net twice.

JH was dangerous and didn;t get a shot away on the breakaway due to a great defensive play (hook or slash?).

The best team in the East managed to shut down the ice in the 2nd.

What I didn;t like was the lack of shots from the point and the over-passing on the PP.

Ras on the top unit was a good look, but they don't look like they have practiced enough.

Yeah, Jeff Ward should listen to himself.  Asking himself why Vancouver is leading Boston, 5-1 after 2.  Instead of saying oh, we got unlucky tonight.  We saw the games too, and they didn't play 60 minutes.  We should have won that game with Boston last night.  

12 hours ago, crazyflames said:

Yeah, Jeff Ward should listen to himself.  Asking himself why Vancouver is leading Boston, 5-1 after 2.  Instead of saying oh, we got unlucky tonight.  We saw the games too, and they didn't play 60 minutes.  We should have won that game with Boston last night.  

Perhaps BOS was tired and playing a fresh team that played Wednesday?

23 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Well, I thought Huska was in charge of the defense.

Why has the structure changed with Ward comng in?

Head coach generally has the say on the game plan. Ward either say some things differently than Peters or changed things to try and change the course of their season. I’m not sure why, nor am I saying it was wrong, just that the change started with him

flamrs we’re playing good defense early in the season under Peters. Their struggles at that time were their transition game and their offense, but they were good in their own zone. 

13 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Head coach generally has the say on the game plan. Ward either say some things differently than Peters or changed things to try and change the course of their season. I’m not sure why, nor am I saying it was wrong, just that the change started with him

flamrs we’re playing good defense early in the season under Peters. Their struggles at that time were their transition game and their offense, but they were good in their own zone. 

That's a good point.

I wasn't sure if things changed with BP being removed or Stone factoring into more games.

Stone played more frequently once Brodie had his health issues, but BP was done around the same time.

Since then Stone was more in the lineup than out, except for January.

I feel that Kylington is a better overall D-man than Stone.

He has struggles, but is more able to box out players.

And he moves the puck way better.