The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Carty

Flames @ Bruins 5pm Feb 25

5 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

I concur. Bennett C > Bennett LW

They mentioned during the game Ward wanted Ryan back to his natural center for better defensive play for this game 

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

They mentioned during the game Ward wanted Ryan back to his natural center for better defensive play for this game 

I completely understand the reason. Ryan is a great centerman for us. I’ve just really liked what I’ve seen out of Bennett at C, and we’d be wise to give him more opportunity there. If Janko is a debatable re-sign this summer, not sure why we continue to give him reps at center instead of Bennett. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Did we see that?

It was a team win, but I thought the only time the 3rd line looked any good was in the O-zone.

Janko was 37%, Backlund 44, Monahan 50 and Ryan 47 on the dot.

Bennett is better than all of those.

Bennett's last three games on the dot:

Yup, time to move him to the wing.

Said no one ever (except Wardo).

So I missed it, but apparently Lombardias commented that he feels the team likes Bennett at center and the plan is to get him there ASAP. They just didn't like the match-up against the Bruins.

Which is interesting as it was the Bennett-Jankowski-Reider line who got the most 5 on 5 time against the Bergeron line and performed more than admirably. They were significantly better than the Ryan line despite tougher assignments.

Feel like Ward is starting to play his decision pretty "safe". 

• Like 1

I thought both the new guys played well. Gustafsson is aggressive offensively and isn't afraid to shoot. You could see that he was still getting comfortable with his teammates on the PP, but it will come. Forbort was just steady, but I think our defense could use more of that right now.

11 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I thought both the new guys played well. Gustafsson is aggressive offensively and isn't afraid to shoot. You could see that he was still getting comfortable with his teammates on the PP, but it will come. Forbort was just steady, but I think our defense could use more of that right now.

They could use More Gio and Less Stone.

It might be interesting to see what Gus can do with Ras.

I don;t lnow if Forbort can play RD, but his game fits Hanifn's wanderings.

Probably the best game they have played all season.

Another 20 goal season from Mony and Backs looking fired up.

Wonder what our record is with Gio out of the line up?

Now can they repeat that effort in Nashville?

Go Flames Go!

9 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I like his shoot first mentality.  We don't have many like that... the second Monahan goal was set up because of that.  

Good win for the boys.

Monahan and Backlund are heating up at the right time and I liked what I saw from both Gustafsson and Forbort.

Just wish they could duplicate this effort on home ice more often.

6 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

Probably the best game they have played all season.

Another 20 goal season from Mony and Backs looking fired up.

Wonder what our record is with Gio out of the line up?

Now can they repeat that effort in Nashville?

Go Flames Go!

I think there have been others as worthy of the "best game of the season", but this is at or near the tops.

What I did like was the the top players factoring in on all 5 goals.

I still don't like the 2nd PP unit.

Getting Gio back will provide a calming presence to the 2nd unit (Gus stays on top unit).

Have to do something better than playing Lucic on the PP.

Give him more minutes at 5V5, just don't waste his energy on PP.

The 2nd unit never has enough time to set up, so a net front is useless.

Flames went 5-3-0 with Gio out.

He's been activated from IR, so he's back in against NAS.

42 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I'm sure he likely will play but just keep in mind that now that there is no roster limit IR doesn't really matter. 

So still no guarantees he plays against Nashville, although i'm sure given how close he felt yesterday he is likely to play. 

43 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think there have been others as worthy of the "best game of the season", but this is at or near the tops.

What I did like was the the top players factoring in on all 5 goals.

I still don't like the 2nd PP unit.

Getting Gio back will provide a calming presence to the 2nd unit (Gus stays on top unit).

Have to do something better than playing Lucic on the PP.

Give him more minutes at 5V5, just don't waste his energy on PP.

The 2nd unit never has enough time to set up, so a net front is useless.

Flames went 5-3-0 with Gio out.

Little recognition goes to Lucic having 5 PP goals in 100 minutes.  He basically gets one every 20 minutes of PP time.  That is best on the team.  Let’s not pretend he is this anchor and unit #1 has been awesome this year 

Watched the game on PVR after indoor golf. I like the new guys, there was a sense of calm last night with the team that has not been there in awhile. If these guys were this engaged in games like last night, one could get excited. Maybe they turn a corner, but they have a long history of being consistently inconsistent. One never knows maybe the reverse could happen this year in that they find the net more frequently. If this club can come out with win's in Nashville and Tampa it may create a extremely huge tidal wave of momentum at the right time. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I'm sure he likely will play but just keep in mind that now that there is no roster limit IR doesn't really matter. 

So still no guarantees he plays against Nashville, although i'm sure given how close he felt yesterday he is likely to play. 

I hope that they don't rush him back. Those kinds of injuries can become the nagging type and easily re-aggravated. Getting the two D in trade may have really helped the D slot properly and hopefully makes for more effective play going forward.

23 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I was basing it on the fact he was game ready, and just a game-time decision yesterday.

The comment about IR was that is was official, not about being forced to play him.

I do hope (like RobBob) that they aren't rushing him.

I doubt it, but he may feel like he needs to play, given Stone being there mostly in his place.

17 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Watched the game on PVR after indoor golf. I like the new guys, there was a sense of calm last night with the team that has not been there in awhile. If these guys were this engaged in games like last night, one could get excited. Maybe they turn a corner, but they have a long history of being consistently inconsistent. One never knows maybe the reverse could happen this year in that they find the net more frequently. If this club can come out with win's in Nashville and Tampa it may create a extremely huge tidal wave of momentum at the right time. 

I agree with a lot of this!

My biggest worry is that the Flames. schedule down the stretch is a tad "easier" than other teams. When the Flames play the "easier" teams, they tend to take their foot off the gas and have their worst games. They sometimes tend to find ways of winning some of them. 

I am like you, I can't anoint them a good team until they can play the way they did last night with some consistency. I didn't consider them a good team last year in the first half because they were too one-lined all year, and I wanted to see more throughout the lineup, and their play dropped after a good win or two. For me, it's the complacency after a good win, thinking they've found it, or have it. They have the ability, but they don't have the mindset.

6 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I agree with a lot of this!

My biggest worry is that the Flames. schedule down the stretch is a tad "easier" than other teams. When the Flames play the "easier" teams, they tend to take their foot off the gas and have their worst games. They sometimes tend to find ways of winning some of them. 

I am like you, I can't anoint them a good team until they can play the way they did last night with some consistency. I didn't consider them a good team last year in the first half because they were too one-lined all year, and I wanted to see more throughout the lineup, and their play dropped after a good win or two. For me, it's the complacency after a good win, thinking they've found it, or have it. They have the ability, but they don't have the mindset.

Based on remaining points percentage the Flames have the 7th hardest schedule the rest of the way as of Monday. Maybe drops slightly given this was pre Bruins Game. Hardest reaming schedule in the Pacific division by this metric. 

25. CGY: 19 left; 11 H; 8 R; opp. P%: 0.578
26. CAR: 21 left; 10 H; 11 R; opp. P%: 0.582
27. WPG: 18 left; 8 H; 10 R; opp. P%: 0.588
28. BUF: 20 left; 8 H; 12 R; opp. P%: 0.588
29. CBJ: 19 left; 8 H; 11 R; opp. P%: 0.592
30. DET: 18 left; 10 H; 8 R; opp. P%: 0.601
31. NYR: 21 left; 9 H; 12 R; opp. P%: 0.603

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-fantasy-hockey-strength-of-schedule-remaining-games-2019-20/c-305362652

28 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Finally a post with no profanity. Maybe you turned a corner as well. :D

28 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Little recognition goes to Lucic having 5 PP goals in 100 minutes.  He basically gets one every 20 minutes of PP time.  That is best on the team.  Let’s not pretend he is this anchor and unit #1 has been awesome this year 

Lucic scored in the following games:

Dec 7 - Vs LA

Dec 10 - @ARI 

Jan 5 - @MIN

Feb 8 - @VAN

Feb 10 - @SJS

That's a lot of PPG against teams we beat (mostly) handily.  My point remains that the 2nd PP unit does not generally get much time to set up, so having Lucic steer in a Backlund shot-pass or screening the goalie is not going to happen often.  Most times, they will need to score on the rush. 

6 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Based on remaining points percentage the Flames have the 7th hardest schedule the rest of the way as of Monday. Maybe drops slightly given this was pre Bruins Game. Hardest reaming schedule in the Pacific division by this metric. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-fantasy-hockey-strength-of-schedule-remaining-games-2019-20/c-305362652

Weird, I was going off of what I heard on the radio, that they were saying that the Flames schedule was a bit easier compared to the rest of the teams in our division. Maybe they were going by the eye test?

11 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

Finally a post with no profanity. Maybe you turned a corner as well. :D

Satoshi Nakamoto no 

4 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Weird, I was going off of what I heard on the radio, that they were saying that the Flames schedule was a bit easier compared to the rest of the teams in our division. Maybe they were going by the eye test?

Could be travel based. Once this 5 gamer is done there is 1 more road trip and it's to the New York area so travel is minimal. They have a few more home games than some other Pacific division teams but it's pretty close. 

But it's debatable if those home games made for an "easier" schedule given the Flames play at home. 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

Could be travel based. Once this 5 gamer is done there is 1 more road trip and it's to the New York area so travel is minimal. They have a few more home games than some other Pacific division teams but it's pretty close. 

But it's debatable if those home games made for an "easier" schedule given the Flames play at home. 

I just looked at the schedules really quick and they look like teams are playing similar teams. And a few tough ones are there for the Flames. That could be good considering they need to find a way to beat the good teams. The Flames do tend to get motivated against teams like Boston, etc. So I see Tampa in there, other teams that are fighting for spots, and that could be good. We'll see. It's come down to playoff hockey right now. Gotta be up for most of these games.

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

I just looked at the schedules really quick and they look like teams are playing similar teams. And a few tough ones are there for the Flames. That could be good considering they need to find a way to beat the good teams. The Flames do tend to get motivated against teams like Boston, etc. So I see Tampa in there, other teams that are fighting for spots, and that could be good. We'll see. It's come down to playoff hockey right now. Gotta be up for most of these games.

Play Vegas twice in their last 13.

Last 4 games are either against Pacific division opponents you are chasing, or a wild card team your battling with (Winnipeg). 

Limited travel. 

Schedule sets up very well for the Flames to decide their own fate. 

• Like 1