The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Sign in to follow this  
Carty

Flames @ Panthers 2pm Mar 1

What are the odds Talbot starts next game after a shutout performance? Probably the same as Bennett returning to center.  :ph34r:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

What are the odds Talbot starts next game after a shutout performance? Probably the same as Bennett returning to center.  :ph34r:

I'd go with him again next game.

But I'm not an NHL head coach, therefore I must not know what I'm talking about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

It hasn't stopped you from sharing your dislike for Backlund, even when he is playing well.

Whatevs

Backlund has turned a corner.

He's not the same player he was when I was trashing him.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Whatevs

Indeed this season has been a tale of two Backlunds..

The player who couldn't hit the broadside of a barn.

And the more recent selke-caliber Backlund.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Whatevs

you were at the beginning of him playing well. We gotta remember Gaudreau probably has had the same amount of good games as Backlund this year. We need both to play well. 

I was just saying he turned the puck over and a two on one happened. If they score there it’s possibly a different game. It’s all I said. 

someone said it sounded like the Flames were getting it taken to them, and I said no, they went into a shutdown mode.

The play was even today and the Flames has their moments and then when the Panthers has there’s, the Flames did a good job of allowing Talbot to do his. I think he saw most of the shots and played very well. The Flames and Gaudreau capitalized on their chances. 

the only thing I thought they could’ve done differently today was make things harder on an inexperienced goalie. It was his 2nd game in the NHL.

plus, Sarasti says it’s a tale of two Backlund’s. I’d say the same for Gaudreau. I am glad he’s looking more engaged as of late.

14 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

the only thing I thought they could’ve done differently today was make things harder on an inexperienced goalie. It was his 2nd game in the NHL.

Not trying to be picky here, but Montembeault played 11 games for the Panthers last season, and 14 games so far this season...   His stats aren't very good though, and they have only won about a third of the games that he has played in...

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

you were at the beginning of him playing well. We gotta remember Gaudreau probably has had the same amount of good games as Backlund this year. We need both to play well. 

I was just saying he turned the puck over and a two on one happened. If they score there it’s possibly a different game. It’s all I said. 

someone said it sounded like the Flames were getting it taken to them, and I said no, they went into a shutdown mode.

The play was even today and the Flames has their moments and then when the Panthers has there’s, the Flames did a good job of allowing Talbot to do his. I think he saw most of the shots and played very well. The Flames and Gaudreau capitalized on their chances. 

plus, Sarasti says it’s a tale of two Backlund’s. I’d say the same for Gaudreau. I am glad he’s looking more engaged as of late.

There has been enough hate towards Gaufreau all season, some of it deserved.

He's had an unremarkable season, but not all of it is his doing.

The top line was underperforming to start.

Shook it up by playing Gaidreau with a struggling Lucic, thinking that might help.  WTF?

Then they stuck Backlund there on the wing with Gaidreau and Monahan.

People wanting to trade him.

People claiming he wanted out, wanted to go home.

It's only recently that the talk has died down, even though he has been hot for the last 11 games before this one.

But still, people critique every play he makes that doesn't end wll.

Backlund has had a dreadful season offensively until the calendar flipped.

Actually it was Feb 8th when he went back to C.

Prior to regaining the 3M spot, he looked like he couldn;t hit an empty net and there were games where he wasn;t the usual defensive stud.

Early Feb was a bad stretch for him and for the team.

Him returning to the 3M line was also when he started to turn it on.

One really bad game against CHI.

What does it all mean Gene?

Two different players.

One a catalyst for the top line and PP.

The other to drive the bus for the D-zone starts and keeping Tkachuk on the right side of the scoreboard.

One's offense is critical, so not getting it deep in a game where he dominated is fine.

The other's defensive play is critical, so I'm not about to quibble about him not scoring if he keeps the other team at bay.

Fortunately, both have stepped it up in February.

2 hours ago, Carty said:

Not trying to be picky here, but Montembeault played 11 games for the Panthers last season, and 14 games so far this season...   His stats aren't very good though, and they have only won about a third of the games that he has played in...

Oh! I  was going by what they said on the broadcast. It sounded like it was only his second game by what Cassie and Rick were saying.

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

mph I was going by what they said on the broadcast. It sounded like it was only his second game by what Cassie and Rick were saying.

No big deal...    Cassie and Rick always sound like it's only the second time they have ever been on tv...

Just thought I would add that Gaudreau played this game after finding out that his grandfather died.  

You would never know by watching him play.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Just thought I would add that Gaudreau played this game after finding out that his grandfather died.  

You would never know by watching him play.

Always a difficult and sad time when you lose a close family member like that...   Tough weekend for Johnny...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/flames-gaudreau-scores-tough-day-death-grandfather/

I thought that was the cleanest game the Flames played in weeks. For me there seems to be a focus on cutting down mistakes and trying to play the right away. I'm not sure I agree they went into a "shell" becuase they didn't play a passive game but there for sure seemed an extra focus on defensive details. Given how poorly they've playig in the area, and the msitakes they made in Tampa, it was good to see. 

I mean i'm not sure I would say Talbot made more then 2 really good saves. Don't get me wrong he was good, but I think the shot volume was misleading. I thought the Flames controlled the game from the get go (save for about a 5 mins stretch in the 2nd when the Panther turned it up) and really make Talbot's job easy. Hopefully that trend can continue because as good a road trip as this was their D zone play still needs a lot of improvement. A Very mistake prone road trip on that side of the puck. 

I think you should always go back to a goalie is they are coming off a shutout. That being said i don't think this means anything in terms of the goalie discussion. i thought Rittich was really good on this road trip, just didn't get the results, and Talbot was also really good but just got a better result. 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

I think you should always go back to a goalie is they are coming off a shutout. That being said i don't think this means anything in terms of the goalie discussion. i thought Rittich was really good on this road trip, just didn't get the results, and Talbot was also really good but just got a better result.

I just think that Talbot's confidence is high coming out of that win.  Rittich had two really tough games to finish off his stretch.

One of them got under his skin.  While he was better against Tampa, I think you should go to the guy that just won before you go back to Rittich.

Wednesday should be Talbot.

Friday (ARI) should be Rittich.

I would go back to the guy that played better against VGK.

Each of them has lost to VGK, both with 6 GA.

Tough game to decide on.

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I just think that Talbot's confidence is high coming out of that win.  Rittich had two really tough games to finish off his stretch.

One of them got under his skin.  While he was better against Tampa, I think you should go to the guy that just won before you go back to Rittich.

Wednesday should be Talbot.

Friday (ARI) should be Rittich.

I would go back to the guy that played better against VGK.

Each of them has lost to VGK, both with 6 GA.

Tough game to decide on.

I don't agree. I thought Rittich was very good against Nashville say for 1 goal and even on that goal let's point out that one of the best scoring dman in the NHL was allowed to walk in all alone. Which of the 4 goals Tampa scored was Rittich supposed to stop? I thikn it's also worth pointing out that prior to the Florida game Talbot had given up 4 goals in his last 3 games. 

Like i said, going back to Talbot after a shutout makes sense to me but after that I'm going back to Rittich. Don't overthink it. 

33 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't agree. I thought Rittich was very good against Nashville say for 1 goal and even on that goal let's point out that one of the best scoring dman in the NHL was allowed to walk in all alone. Which of the 4 goals Tampa scored was Rittich supposed to stop? I thikn it's also worth pointing out that prior to the Florida game Talbot had given up 4 goals in his last 3 games. 

Like i said, going back to Talbot after a shutout makes sense to me but after that I'm going back to Rittich. Don't overthink it. 

When I said rough, they were rough games for him.  The NAS one really got to him.  After that, the Tampa was a tough loss to shoulder, and though it wasn't his fault, he bore the weight of it.  That's all I meant.

As for which goalie after the first two games, it depends on how they perform.  I'm not overthinking it.

Sign in to follow this