Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Thebrewcrew

2020 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

 

Right it depends on the player.  Brodie is a better RD than LD for example.  

 

The most important thing is comfort.  Remember Sam Bennett getting popped coming down the Right side taking a shot.   That's the danger of playing off wing.  You are not used to looking one side and then the hit comes.

 

TBH, I haven't seen Gaudreau take a hit on his off-wing ever.

Bennett has injured more of his own teammates by running into them than opponents.

That could be a function of his vision or his edges.

Gaudreau has both, hence why he doesn;t get hit.

 

I'm not suggesting we move him to RW, as he could be playing with Zavorogrodny.

We have a bunch of bottom 6 guys today that don't fit.

Hard to make up lines with the likes of Bennett playing wing, Janko being Janko and Dube struggling to fit.

I would lean towatds a 3rd line of Laffy, Zav and Gawdin.

4th line is Looch, Phillips and Pelletier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Say we do get the #1 pick:

 

Lafreniere is the best player in the draft and would be the best player on our roster in short order. His skill level combined with his compete level put him in MacKinnon territory.

 

Byfield probably fits our needs better and it would be hard to pass up on a 6'4" C who can skate and has elite skills. I am not sure why but I have a feeling that he might end up being a bust, probably because he was a complete non factor at the WJC.

 

Stuztle has the skating and the dynamic skill to be a star in the league for a long time. I am just not sure if he will have the all around game to be a center in the league.

 

I could see any of those 3 going 1st. IMO if the Flames did pick 1st I would still go with Lafreniere, because his compete level is elite, and that's what wins you Cups.

 

I would then move Gaudreau for a top 6 center. Still sign Hall and move Tkachuk to RW.

 

Hall-Monahan-Lindholm

Lafreniere-Necas-Tkachuk

Mangiapane-Backlund-Niederreiter

Lucic-Ryan-Dube

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Hall-Monahan-Lindholm

Lafreniere-Necas-Tkachuk

Mangiapane-Backlund-Niederreiter

Lucic-Ryan-Dube

 

If the option was there for Ottawa to trade 3rd + 5th for the 1st overall, you think they would do it?

Given the history of asking prices for top pick, I don't think that would even do it. 

It gives us the chance to pick up one of the top 3 plus a very close alternative.

And quite possibly a prospect or roster player that we need.

 

It's hard to project where Lafrieniere would fit in our lines.

Tkachuk is a legit star on a shutdown line.

Mangiapane plays a complementary role, but could easily play on a secondary socring line.

It would almost make sense to flip the 2nd and 3rd lines using your suggested trade and signing.

 

Tkachuk-Backlund-Niederreiter

Lafrienere-Necas-Mangiapane

 

This way we retain a strong Satoshi Nakamotodown line that can score about 60-80 goals.

The 3rd line is dynamic and has two guys with insane compete levels.

I don't know much about Necas, but feel he would grow with them to be a top line.

Having a 1-2-3 punch would be amazing.

No way for teams to defend that many scoring lines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jjgallow said:

 

Bettman typically awards a first overall pick to the newest arena, that's us.   (oh sorry I mean it's completely random).   Here's the thing, I don't want to waste it on Lafreniere.   He's just missing something.    If I had my druthers I'd rather get the first overall pick in 2021, likely Aatu Raty.   He's just better.    And if anyone were to overtake his dominant lead, the players behind him are a little better too imho.

 

Out of all Bettman conspiracy theories that one doesn't even make sense.  Detroit has built and opened a new arena without a first overall pick despite being in the lottery, and second the Islanders were approved and have started before us, so no it isn't a thing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

 

It's a thing isn't it.

That and the real situation of Taylor Hall being the Jobu of lotteries.

 

You say Laffy is missing something.  Every top ranked player is missing something.

The big issue for me is the position he plays.  LW

It's not an immediate upgrade to Gaudreau, but definitely a long term one.

I suppose the option exists in trading down, but that is almost unheard of.

Ottawa has two picks but I still think it's worth more than that.

Brady + 3rd?

That makes sense.

 

Askarov is a much bigger risk than a LW. 

 

Let's hope it is lol.

 

Never worth downgrading picks, we know the solution would be a Gaudreau trade.  Maybe that lands you similar fortune in the 2021 draft.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Out of all Bettman conspiracy theories that one doesn't even make sense.  Detroit has built and opened a new arena without a first overall pick despite being in the lottery, and second the Islanders were approved and have started before us, so no it isn't a thing.

 

The conspiracy theory goes back to Syd.

An almost bankrupt team is able to swindle an arena deal and then lands #1.

EDM, an arena deal that swindled local politicians, then lands #1.

The two most highly sought players and similar circumstances.

 

The Hall theory is more on point.

Two 1sts in his time with EDM and two 1sts in his time with NJ.

Karma suggests that whomever he is going to play for gets the #1.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not big on the lotto conspiracies.

 

Every team receives a document with all the combinations. If they were fudging the lotto, it would get out. 
 

If the league was rigged, McDavid would have went to TOR, or to ARI to save the franchise Bettman has fought hard to keep alive. Same with Matthews, that was a perfect chance for them to stick him in the desert and it didn’t happen

 

Theres also no way of knowing if the #1 pick pans out. RNH and Hischier are good players but not franchise changers at #1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Out of all Bettman conspiracy theories that one doesn't even make sense.  Detroit has built and opened a new arena without a first overall pick despite being in the lottery, and second the Islanders were approved and have started before us, so no it isn't a thing.

 

It may not make sense but lucky for you I'm still willing to argue about it ;)

 

Detroit didn't have a pick when their arena was built.   The lost it in the Datsyuk trade.

 

NYI

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

The conspiracy theory goes back to Syd.

An almost bankrupt team is able to swindle an arena deal and then lands #1.

EDM, an arena deal that swindled local politicians, then lands #1.

The two most highly sought players and similar circumstances.

 

The Hall theory is more on point.

Two 1sts in his time with EDM and two 1sts in his time with NJ.

Karma suggests that whomever he is going to play for gets the #1.

 

 

Detroit also didn't have a first-rounder when they built their arena (Datsyuk trade), and wasn't in financial harship or risk of moving.

 

The following year it went to the nearly-bankrupt NJD.

 

Islanders don't have any money problems.   Although their arena isn't built yet and this year's lottery is up for grabs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

If the Leafs lose in the first round then the Leafs will get the #1 pick.

Edmonton and Toronto could pick 1st and it really wouldn’t help their cup chances at all.

 

The Leafs can’t defend and the Oilers have zero  quality bottom 6 forwards 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

 

To Flames,

Eichel

 

To Sabres,

Lafreneire


 

now I don’t like that deal. Eichel is already at 10m while Lafreneire is cost certainty for 3 years. He may not end up as good as Eichel though, but i feel if the Flames were able to draft him, they could sign a Pietrangelo and a Hall with the savings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, robrob74 said:


 

now I don’t like that deal. Eichel is already at 10m while Lafreneire is cost certainty for 3 years. He may not end up as good as Eichel though, but i feel if the Flames were able to draft him, they could sign a Pietrangelo and a Hall with the savings. 

 

What's the point of drafting him and signing Hall because we're still in need of a game breaking Center.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

 

What's the point of drafting him and signing Hall because we're still in need of a game breaking Center.  


 

I understand, but I just think that Eichel will eat up a lot of cap and if some can shift to the right side we’d have more cap to work with over the next 3 seasons and be a great contender 

or like a lot have suggested, trading Gaudreau for another player of Lindholm’s ability. St. Louis and Boston have won without super elite C. Bergeron is a complete C but wasn’t Kreji a bigger reason they won? 
 

until last year a lot of people didn’t feel ROR was that guy but he’s not that elite C either. 
 

Let’s say we sign Hall and draft Lafrenier, it’ll look like this:

 

Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm 

Hall, Backlund, Tkachuk

Lafrenier, Bennett, Mangiapane 

Lucic, Ryan, Dube

 

or you put Ryan as #3C. Tkachuk can play RW and would be the best choice to. He’s got the best hockey IQ on the team. 
 

id like to see Bennett consistently with guys that can move it, or play him on 4C. Look at that depth!

 

Giordano, Pietrangelo 
Valamaki, Andersson

Kylington, 
 

I also think the Flames could deal Hanifin for a  bordering 2/3C and maybe sign Gus or a 3rd pair guy. 
 

be cool if we did win the lottery.

 

i wonder if buffalo would do your deal? 
 

if Hanifin could get another RW instead of a C we could use Lindholm as another C for good C depth. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, robrob74 said:


 

I understand, but I just think that Eichel will eat up a lot of cap and if some can shift to the right side we’d have more cap to work with over the next 3 seasons and be a great contender 

or like a lot have suggested, trading Gaudreau for another player of Lindholm’s ability. St. Louis and Boston have won without super elite C. Bergeron is a complete C but wasn’t Kreji a bigger reason they won? 
 

until last year a lot of people didn’t feel ROR was that guy but he’s not that elite C either. 
 

Let’s say we sign Hall and draft Lafrenier, it’ll look like this:

 

Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm 

Hall, Backlund, Tkachuk

Lafrenier, Bennett, Mangiapane 

Lucic, Ryan, Dube

 

or you put Ryan as #3C. Tkachuk can play RW and would be the best choice to. He’s got the best hockey IQ on the team. 
 

id like to see Bennett consistently with guys that can move it, or play him on 4C. Look at that depth!

 

Giordano, Pietrangelo 
Valamaki, Andersson

Kylington, 
 

I also think the Flames could deal Hanifin for a  bordering 2/3C and maybe sign Gus or a 3rd pair guy. 
 

be cool if we did win the lottery.

 

i wonder if buffalo would do your deal? 
 

if Hanifin could get another RW instead of a C we could use Lindholm as another C for good C depth. 

 

 

 

I don't even think BUF would do Eichel for Lafreneire.

 

I get your whole cap argument but Eichel is "arrived" whereas Lafreneire will need 2 or 3 years to reach maturity... I mean, by then he's $10-mil-per too.  Even if he doesn't hit 100+ points yet, you're paying for potential.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the Flames were fortunate enough to select Lafreniere, I'd keep Gaudreau, for at least one season. It goes against everything I've said, and I know the value on him drops, but if you get Lafreniere, I'm ok with that. I don't want the Flames putting him in any role he isn't ready for.

 

If this happened, my goal would then be to find a C to play with Lafreniere. Cirelli, Domi, either of the Strome's could be available.

 

I would stick with

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Backlund-Mangiapane

Lafreniere-?-?

 

My goal would be to give him sheltered minutes and lots of offensive zone stars, and unlike Bennett, surround him with competent players.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

 

 

I don't even think BUF would do Eichel for Lafreneire.

 

I get your whole cap argument but Eichel is "arrived" whereas Lafreneire will need 2 or 3 years to reach maturity... I mean, by then he's $10-mil-per too.  Even if he doesn't hit 100+ points yet, you're paying for potential.


 

I see what you mean as I just don’t see the Flames Center group as is contending for a cup. Can Monahan turn into a good two way center? I say good because he’s worked hard to be but so far that’s as far as he is trending. Hopefully he can score as he tries to be defensive. 
 

I think we need another dependable center for the 3rd line. If we somehow won the lotto, keeping Lafrenier I think there are enough pieces to allow him to develop and utilize his ELC to our advantage. Even if he gets about 35-45 points in the first few years or more? He can work his way up the roster. It’s better now that the Flames have a full roster for a guy like him to play depth. 
 

If he’s got good IQ and speed, he could try C. It doesn’t happen often but I believe in Pettersson’s case in Vancouver that’s what happened and he’s transformed their franchise. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

If the Flames were fortunate enough to select Lafreniere, I'd keep Gaudreau, for at least one season. It goes against everything I've said, and I know the value on him drops, but if you get Lafreniere, I'm ok with that. I don't want the Flames putting him in any role he isn't ready for.

 

If this happened, my goal would then be to find a C to play with Lafreniere. Cirelli, Domi, either of the Strome's could be available.

 

I would stick with

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Backlund-Mangiapane

Lafreniere-?-?

 

My goal would be to give him sheltered minutes and lots of offensive zone stars, and unlike Bennett, surround him with competent players.

 

The question is whether they go after Hall knowing they had Lafreniere.

If they did, then it makes sense to trade Gaudreau.

Bring back that coveted C.

 

If they didn't bring in Hall and spent the money on Pietrangelo there is no reason to move Gaudrea.

Especially if he looks fine in the playoffs and has expressed no desire to move.

With a stud D core, we can use young players to fill out the lines.

Keep the top 6 as you suggest.

 

Lafreniere-Gawdin-Zavgrorondy

Lucic-Ryan-Dube

 

Where I am coming from is Gawdin is a safe C and Zav has experience playing with Laffy.

That may not happen right away, so Phillips might be the best thing.

HIgh compete levels with defensievely sound C. 

The coach has to have stones to go to the young players, though.

Overall, is the lineup any worse than having Bennett, Janko, Rieder in it?

Is it potentially more capable of putting the puck in the net?  I would say yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, robrob74 said:


 

I see what you mean as I just don’t see the Flames Center group as is contending for a cup. Can Monahan turn into a good two way center? I say good because he’s worked hard to be but so far that’s as far as he is trending. Hopefully he can score as he tries to be defensive. 
 

I think we need another dependable center for the 3rd line. If we somehow won the lotto, keeping Lafrenier I think there are enough pieces to allow him to develop and utilize his ELC to our advantage. Even if he gets about 35-45 points in the first few years or more? He can work his way up the roster. It’s better now that the Flames have a full roster for a guy like him to play depth. 
 

If he’s got good IQ and speed, he could try C. It doesn’t happen often but I believe in Pettersson’s case in Vancouver that’s what happened and he’s transformed their franchise. 
 

 

Was Pettersson drafted as a LW?

 

For sure we can try to convert Lafreneire to C... But if we can trade him for Eichel who already excels at C, then make the trade all day long.

 

Anyways, all hypothetical.  Let's just hope they actually drop the puck first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would any one even think we would get the first over all even if we lost to winterpeg there is no way in heck the NHL would allow the Flames to get the pick 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I tried to figure out different draft scenarios for where we could end up drafting.

 

Of course if we lose in the play in round and win the lottery we get 1st overall.

 

If we lose in the play in round and don't win the lottery we would be drafting between 9-12.

 

If we win the play in round and don't make it to the finals we would be drafting between 16-20.

 

If we make the finals we would be drafting 30-31.

 

Edit:

If there are no playoffs we draft 16th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back to reality, from the lotto talk lol.

 

Luke Evangelista is someone that I think will rocket up draft boards, with the draft being 3 months away. He plays in the NHL factory known as the London Knights. RHS/RW 61pts in 62 games. 

 

I'm not saying the Flames need to take him, I just expect him to rocket up draft boards, because of where he plays. He's projected to be an early/mid 2nd, but I wouldn't be shocked if he goes late 1st. Liam Foudy was another London Knight ranked in the 2nd that went in the 1st. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been away a awhile, haven't been able to think hockey.. but the spirit is coming back...

too many to quote so just a few thoughts ..

The lottery is definitely broken , its gone from a deterrent to tanking to an almost impossibility a real bad team gets that #1.. but it is what it is ..

 

if the Flames win it ? Id seriously entertain trading it for 3 and 5... no knock on Lafreniere .. but hes not a McDavid ..i'm not even sure hes a McKinnon . Getting 2 Extremely good players for 1 , is a good gamble ...  I'd want more than just 3 and 5 tho 

 

If the Hall effect is real , then Arizona will win ..even if hes leaving , at the time of the lottery he'll still be AZ property  

 

If EdM wins it , I'll lose my mind ..LOL

 

aside from the obvious Calgary Hope ( assuming we lose the play in .. id rather win the play in TBH) i just hope it goes to a legitimate bottom 16 team

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Phoenix. I was kind of thinking the same thing - if we get the first, give it to OTT for 3+5 or 3+Brady Tkachuk? 🙂 Maybe Dube has to go the other way or something for Brady to be included... 
 

Then, if it works out, we nab Byfield or Stutzle at 3. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bettman walks up to the mic... .. I am pleased to announce that with the final first round pick.. .. picking 33rd overall.. The Calgary Flames select.....hey what's this?????? well nobody in the league gives a crap about Calgary somewhere out in the Hinterland near Hooterville .. and since Bettman forgot to call Calgary earlier in the draft and rather than redo the entire draft over.. The Flames were awarded the last first round pick and a bonus 15th round pick.. Oh Yea.. he already decided that Seattle gets a pick this year as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2020 at 11:51 AM, JTech780 said:

Say we do get the #1 pick:

 

Lafreniere is the best player in the draft and would be the best player on our roster in short order. His skill level combined with his compete level put him in MacKinnon territory.

 

Byfield probably fits our needs better and it would be hard to pass up on a 6'4" C who can skate and has elite skills. I am not sure why but I have a feeling that he might end up being a bust, probably because he was a complete non factor at the WJC.

 

Stuztle has the skating and the dynamic skill to be a star in the league for a long time. I am just not sure if he will have the all around game to be a center in the league.

 

I could see any of those 3 going 1st. IMO if the Flames did pick 1st I would still go with Lafreniere, because his compete level is elite, and that's what wins you Cups.

 

 

If in some way the Flames wind up with the number 1 pick I'd be keeping my options open and potentially even shopping the pick. Lafreniere is a great player and I do believe will be an excellent pro. I would put him just above Taylor Hall level coming out so you are talking about someone who will likely to ascend to be one of the better wingers in the game. However, the Flames have spent the last 25 years building around franchise wingers and looking for franchise centers and the "results" speak for themselves. I need to dig more into Byfield (I don't put any stock into the world Juniors as 17 year olds generally don't show up at that tournament for Canada) to see if he is in fact that number one center but if he is and the scouts think he is I think the Flames would be wise to try and get to a scenario where they can get Byfield but get teams around them to give them assets to get Lafreniere. Lafreniere is the better player without a doubt for me, but it's just time that this franchise find that center if they are truly interested in winning a cup or ascending to that perennial contender status

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...