The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Thebrewcrew

2020 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I wouldn’t. Here’s why, this entire season it’s been Lafreniere and then everyone else, IMO don’t overthink it. 

It sucks he’s a LW, but he is a franchise changer. Look at his junior career, his rookie year he scored 42, everyone thought he’s a goal scorer, he comes back the next season and improves his playmaking and registers 68 assists. He’s shown the ability to do it all, include adding a physical element, he can play it anyway you want. 

I get that the Flames have built around wingers for far too long, but if they add Lafreniere they have incredible depth on the wings. That’s something they never had in the Iggy era

I wouldn’t say they built strictly on the wing.

problem is, Monahan has been a pure goal scorer only. His two-way game was put on the back burner in the name of offensive zone starts. Bennett didn’t develop into a top 6 Center either. We’ve also drafted a lot C’s, 15 since drafting Jankowski. We also picked up Lindholm who could also be. 

I get BPA, but the Flames also thought they had one in either Monahan or Bennett.

On 6/29/2020 at 5:17 PM, Thebrewcrew said:

I just don't see a team like the Sens offering 3rd and 5th, especially because Lafreniere isn't a C. They can stay put get the best C in the draft and potentially the best D at 5th.

I’m not so sure. Lafreniere hails from Montreal, and Ottawa has a significant French population as well. It could draw Canadiens fans to Ottawa, and also boost ticket sales in Ottawa more than Byfield or Stutzle.

Just thinking from an ownership and business perspective here. Ottawa does have a significant number of picks don’t they? Drafting a French-Canadian Star would fit the marketing bill quite nicely imo. 

18 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

I’m not so sure. Lafreniere hails from Montreal, and Ottawa has a significant French population as well. It could draw Canadiens fans to Ottawa, and also boost ticket sales in Ottawa more than Byfield or Stutzle.

Just thinking from an ownership and business perspective here. Ottawa does have a significant number of picks don’t they? Drafting a French-Canadian Star would fit the marketing bill quite nicely imo. 

The new conspiracy now is, if Montreal loses in the play-in, then Lafreneire is going to his childhood team, the Habs.

10 hours ago, The_People1 said:

The new conspiracy now is, if Montreal loses in the play-in, then Lafreneire is going to his childhood team, the Habs.

If it was rigged then McDavid would have been a Leaf. 

There’s so many conspiracies out there, but the reality is that Lafreniere has yet to play an NHL

game, there’s no guarantee he ends up being the best player from his draft class. Look at 2011, 2012 and 2017, RNH, Yakupov and Hischier are far from being the best players picked in that draft class. 

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

There’s so many conspiracies out there, but the reality is that Lafreniere has yet to play an NHL game there’s no guarantee he ends up being the best player from his draft class. Look at 2011, 2012 and 2017, RNH, Yakupov and Hischier are far from being the best players picked in that draft class. 

RNH, Yakupov, and Hischier were draft years where the scouting report going into the year was that there was no standpoint prospect.  There was no phenom or generational player.   There wasn't one dominating player.

Lafreneire is different.  Scouts were already saying in last year's draft that had Lafreneire been available then he would've been drafted ahead of Jack Hughes.  He would have been the clear cut best player.

I really think the Flames need to draft a RHS RW in either the 1st or 2nd round.

I understand that you never draft a 17/18 year old based on your current team, but the lack of RHS exists well beyond the Flames roster.

Gaudreau/Tkachuk/Mangiapane/Bennett/Dube/Lucic/Pelletier/MEP/Ruzicka/Feuk are all LHS and not every player can play their off-wing.

The Flames have been searching for top 6 RW for 5+ seasons, if you don't draft them, you're probably not getting them. Lindholm is a fantastic RW, but he cost you a stud RHD. The only time the Flames have selected an RW in the top 2 rounds under BT was Hunter Smith in 2014. 

If the Flames lose the play-in they should have a shot at Mercer/Jarvis/Quinn/Holtz. If none of those players are available, that means someone fell, no complaints from me.

If the Flames win the play-in then they should have a shot at Gunler/Bourque/Perreault

In the 2nd round there could be a ton of RW, Chromiak/Sourdif/Colangelo/Coe/Evangelista

I'm fine with the Flames going D, G or C in round 1, but I really think they need to start investing some early picks in RHS, there are a ton of them early so it's unlikely one of them would be a reach.  The Flames have only Ryan and Lindholm among their 12 forwards as RHS. On the farm, Phillips/Gawdin/Tuulola/Zavgorodny all have a chance, but they were late round picks. 

The lotto was such as weird result.

WPG would have won in a regular finish.

As much as I find the format to be bizarre, WPG is a great test for us.

It's like a really tough round 1 matchup because of the team we draw.

But not like 1st vs 8th.

More like 8th vs 9th.

5th vs 12th which would normall be 3rd vr 4th.

Let's get this over with and have a short playoffs or go into September.

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

There’s so many conspiracies out there, but the reality is that Lafreniere has yet to play an NHL

game, there’s no guarantee he ends up being the best player from his draft class. Look at 2011, 2012 and 2017, RNH, Yakupov and Hischier are far from being the best players picked in that draft class. 

plus Ekblad isn’t the best D man from his draft class, nor is Bennett and he was #1 most of the year leading to the draft.

12 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I really think the Flames need to draft a RHS RW in either the 1st or 2nd round.

... if you don't draft them, you're probably not getting them. 

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b95201dda5cc5bceedd387

13 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The lotto was such as weird result.

WPG would have won in a regular finish.

As much as I find the format to be bizarre, WPG is a great test for us.

It's like a really tough round 1 matchup because of the team we draw.

But not like 1st vs 8th.

More like 8th vs 9th.

5th vs 12th which would normall be 3rd vr 4th.

Let's get this over with and have a short playoffs or go into September.

I'm already fearing the worst of the worst of the worst.  

Flames beat the Jets and advance into the playoffs.  Then, after the Jets win the lotto for #1, the playoffs/season gets officially cancelled.

30 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I'm already fearing the worst of the worst of the worst.  

Flames beat the Jets and advance into the playoffs.  Then, after the Jets win the lotto for #1, the playoffs/season gets officially cancelled.

As far as drafting, we won't end up much worse by winning round one vs losing lotto.

I haven't thought it all the way through with all the permutations.

I think we have the worse recors of all playoff seeded teams as it is.

But you are right.  The playoffs get cancelled regardless we don't have a shot at anything better than 16th I think.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

As far as drafting, we won't end up much worse by winning round one vs losing lotto.

I haven't thought it all the way through with all the permutations.

I think we have the worse recors of all playoff seeded teams as it is.

But you are right.  The playoffs get cancelled regardless we don't have a shot at anything better than 16th I think.

If the season is cancelled then we won't be one of the lottery teams because only the bottom 15 teams can be in the lottery.

22 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

If the season is cancelled then we won't be one of the lottery teams because only the bottom 15 teams can be in the lottery.

I was talking about where the Flames were in relation to other teams.

I think we had the 16th best record.

It gets more complicated if the play in series results in lower seeds winning, teams like Toronto don't win the series and the playoff are cancelled.

Do they still pick after us if they don't win the lotto?

I don't know there is a clear answer 

My head spins thinking about, so I hope that this thing goes to the end.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I was talking about where the Flames were in relation to other teams.

I think we had the 16th best record.

It gets more complicated if the play in series results in lower seeds winning, teams like Toronto don't win the series and the playoff are cancelled.

Do they still pick after us if they don't win the lotto?

I don't know there is a clear answer 

My head spins thinking about, so I hope that this thing goes to the end.

My understanding is, as soon as the play-in round is over, they pick the lotto winner.  So if Toronto loses play-in, then they could win the lotto and get #1 pick regardless if the playoffs get cancelled.  All other draft positions should revert to the standings.  Only the #1 pick is up for lotto.

But of course, Toronto loses play-in and wins #1 pick, then they cancel the playoffs.  Smells fishy at that point.

On 5/2/2020 at 4:32 PM, jjgallow said:

Is there a glut of them that large in the middle of the first round?   I don't see it but who knows where the best list is this year.

I miss @Crzydrvr's  draft thread.

In other news, this would be a great year for the NHL to postpone the draft by one year.   They have the perfect reason.  Then just change the minimum age to 19.     Quite honestly I don't see anyone good enough for exemption from that in this class anyway.

Sorry I'm never around, I wasn't originally going to do one this year for a multitude of reasons:

1. Been busy with my job(s)

2. My grasp of the draft eligibles these last few years has been less than it used to be due to the 17-18 age group in particular being outside of my focused areas

Now that the draft has technically been pushed back I can absolutely try and put something together, if y'all had any interest! I do think this year will be a very volatile draft in terms of hits and misses, and next year even more so.

• Like 6

We lose to WPG and win the lotto, that is my prediction.  I am not on board with those who figure the best idea is to trade #1 for other parts. When we win, you keep that pick and take Lafreniere, this is the break this club deserves. 

• Like 2

Bottom line for me is that wherever the team picks they have to keep the emphasis on work ethic and character.  When I say that skating ability and skill still are integral traits you are looking for, but I want the work ethic to go hand in hand with those things. 

If we end up in the 9-13 range there are guys like Jarvis, Sanderson, Lindell, Holloway all show a good blend of speed, skill and work ethic.

In the 16-20 range guys like Holloway, Lapierre, Mercer, Zary should be available and they also have that blend we are looking for.

The more I look at Jarvis, I just don't know how he isn't a top 15. 

9 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

The more I look at Jarvis, I just don't know how he isn't a top 15. 

I really like that kid, too. I am hopeful that he's there when the Flames pick. 

Love. 

It's gonna be a really interesting draft.

Most European seasons and perhaps even the CHL will be playing by the time the NHL draft takes place. Teams will be in an interesting spot, they want to re-scout the 2020 eligibles, but they've also got the 2021's to build their reports on.

Take the CHL for example, what does their season look like? If you take an 01 born and they play an abbreviated season, there's tough decisions to be made for the next season. The player is eligible to play pro, but will they be ready after only playing a short season? The overage season is an option, but not ideal.

I love watching Seth Jarvis play. If he was 2 inches taller, he's a surefire top 10 pick. 

He led his team in scoring by a whopping 28 points, it's not like he played on a bad team either. Portland would have challenged for the Western conference title if the season was able to finish.

The most recent comparable would be Yamamoto, he led Spokane in scoring by 23pts in his draft year. Jarvis is a younger draft eligible than Yamamoto was though. I'd go with another player from Spokane, Tyler Johnson as a comparable. Johnson is a more of a finished product than Yamamoto. I think Jarvis can be a similar player, a really good top 6 RW, not a franchise player but a consistent 50pt threat. As an 02 born Jarvis would need a minimum of 2 additional years of junior, maybe he could play a little more C in that time, give him a challenge as he will outgrow the WHL rather soon, at least offensively.

11 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Too soon???

This would be a great consolation if we lose to the Peg.

Otherwise I'd prefer a long and triumphant playoff run 😉

4 hours ago, Sarasti said:

This would be a great consolation if we lose to the Peg.

Otherwise I'd prefer a long and triumphant playoff run 😉

Go big or go home.

Still a long ways out, but the Flames will be picking 19th now, unless they reach the Conference final

16- Montreal

17- Chicago

18- New Jersey from Arizona

19- Calgary

20- New Jersey from Vancouver

21- Winner of CBJ/TOR

22- Ottawa from NYI

23- Carolina