The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Thebrewcrew

2020 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

We have no chance to draft him.

You're sucking the life out of me lol.

IMHO he's worth trading up for.  but I doubt that will happen.     Been a long time since an 18 year old goalie was nearly NHL ready, and the big highlight on that is rate of progression.    There is no ceiling on him atm.

I will continue to have blind hope lol

3 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

IMHO he's worth trading up for.  but I doubt that will happen.     Been a long time since an 18 year old goalie was nearly NHL ready, and the big highlight on that is rate of progression.    There is no ceiling on him atm.

But hey, at least there's no chance he falls to Edmonton now.

It's not all bad lol

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jjgallow said:

He could be gone as early as BUF's 8th overall... but if I was OTT and I have 2 first rounders, I'd take Askarov 5th overall.  OTT has no stud goalie prospects.

Minny would certainly pick Askarov 9th if still available.  They look to be going full rebuild next 2/3 season so picking a G and letting him develop for 3 years is a good move.

We would have to trade up... Probably to BUF's 8th.  It's going to cost Monahan.  And if Askarov is still there by Winnipeg's 10th, then there's another destination for Monahan for the 10th overall.

It's going to be expensive to trade up.

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

He could be gone as early as BUF's 8th overall... but if I was OTT and I have 2 first rounders, I'd take Askarov 5th overall.  OTT has no stud goalie prospects.

Minny would certainly pick Askarov 9th if still available.  They look to be going full rebuild next 2/3 season so picking a G and letting him develop for 3 years is a good move.

We would have to trade up... Probably to BUF's 8th.  It's going to cost Monahan.  And if Askarov is still there by Winnipeg's 10th, then there's another destination for Monahan for the 10th overall.

I feel like he could be had with just a slight bump-up.   I don't know if NHL scouts change their rankings at the speed of twitter and to be fair he just had a couple good games (along with a couple not-so-good in the VHL).   He has a couple more to go.  If he has a stinker in there than I think this convo changes.

The hard part of course is it only takes one team to change their mind to shoot him up the rankings and from that perspective yes you're right, we could see him picked in top 10.   Along with many others potentially.

I would do any upgrade, with or without Monahan.    Even me though, and I'm pretty big on Askarov, would be tempted to trade him for 2021 picks and gamble on getting Askarov this year.    2021 you know you're going to get first-line RHS D material.

If we even moved up this year  a few spots to the 12-15 range I think we'd have a shot at Askarov assuming he has one stinker game.  And if not, a pick upgrade is rarely a bad move.

The Flames have only had 3 picks in the first three rounds of the last three drafts. That's 3 picks out of 9! How can they build a future this way, or keep the cap lower when teams are expecting players on ELC to make an impact. We are going to be feeling it soon. 

For a team that has improved drafting, they've really shot themselves in the foot and are not playing to their newfound strength as an organization. It's frustrating because we've seen this since 1989. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

The Flames have only had 3 picks in the first three rounds of the last three drafts. That's 3 picks out of 9! How can they build a future this way, or keep the cap lower when teams are expecting players on ELC to make an impact. We are going to be feeling it soon. 

For a team that has improved drafting, they've really shot themselves in the foot and are not playing to their newfound strength as an organization. It's frustrating because we've seen this since 1989. 

What's terrifying is that they're not done yet.   Rumors are they're going to sacrifice even more future to delay the inevitable rebuild of this failed core.

• Angry 1

I do agree the Flames prospect poor isn't great and they are in the bottom 3 of the league as well they deal away too many picks. I don't think that is going to change anytime soon unfortunately but that's another debate. 

However, the doom and gloom around it I think is misled. Half of this roster, and a majority of the core, the avg age is 23.6 and with their improved scouting/developing they are hitting on late round picks more often. So while I agree they should keep more of the picks it's not nearly as dark a picture as some paint.

I know it feels like the Sutter era but it's not very close to the same thing but at the same time this is still severely steps away from being an asset rich organization so I can understand the frustration around that as ideally you always your organization to be like that. 

15 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I do agree the Flames prospect poor isn't great and they are in the bottom 3 of the league as well they deal away too many picks. I don't think that is going to change anytime soon unfortunately but that's another debate. 

However, the doom and gloom around it I think is misled. Half of this roster, and a majority of the core, the avg age is 23.6 and with their improved scouting/developing they are hitting on late round picks more often. So while I agree they should keep more of the picks it's not nearly as dark a picture as some paint. 

but for me it’s a lower chance of hitting on a player to play top line, to play top pair and to play top 6 on ELCs. It isn’t necessarily the long term, or it really could be. 

when guys like Dube, Mangiapane, maybe even Bennett in a few years need raises, how can you fit them all in? Same with Andersson, and Valamaki... 

I get the idea of “going for it” but there are still a few holes that need filling which hasn’t been able to be addressed through drafting.

we have young D but at the same time they’ve not drafted D since Valamaki. And even then the only Other player drafted  able to play Top4 is Andersson. 

35 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Unfortunately I think this is one of the few things we are all in agreement on.  I don't know definitely enough to understand where the directive comes from but we have very little reason to think it is changing unless it came from Burke or Ken King.   But all signs point to higher than that.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

but for me it’s a lower chance of hitting on a player to play top line, to play top pair and to play top 6 on ELCs. It isn’t necessarily the long term, or it really could be. 

when guys like Dube, Mangiapane, maybe even Bennett in a few years need raises, how can you fit them all in? Same with Andersson, and Valamaki... 

I get the idea of “going for it” but there are still a few holes that need filling which hasn’t been able to be addressed through drafting.

we have young D but at the same time they’ve not drafted D since Valamaki. And even then the only Other player drafted  able to play Top4 is Andersson. 

Well just speaking in terms of statistics the numbers suggest your odds drop to around 50% of getting an NHL once you hit the 20s in the 1st round and it's gradually decreases from there. So if you plan to be a winning team and draft in the 20s on a consistent basis your chances are already not that great. 

The drat is a key part but asset management is key and IMO is how the Flames are going to find the balance. If they want to continue on the binary process of either being a winner or rebuilding then yes the future will get dark. however, I think how you balance moving the picks is asset management and knowing when to move off of certain assets, let's say Gaudreau for example, to move in other futures. For more recent examples, the Flames were able to pick up a 3rd and a 4th by moving out assets in Neal and Frolik when conventional wisdom tells you to keep everyone because you want to win. If the Flames can find that balance and improvement in this area, as well as continue to find success in the international and college free agent market, you can find a better balance to moving out high picks but still finding those assets. 

So the Oilslicks fail to make it pass the first round purposely more than most likely which allows them to again pick before us every yr those dip sticks manage to pick ahead of us even though they managed to pick up 4 more points in the standings what crap    

20 minutes ago, zima said:

So the Oilslicks fail to make it pass the first round purposely more than most likely which allows them to again pick before us every yr those dip sticks manage to pick ahead of us even though they managed to pick up 4 more points in the standings what crap    

Just goes to show, they play a 82 game preseason and then the real season begins.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Just goes to show, they play a 82 game preseason and then the real season begins.

😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

What I find amazing is they had a real opportunity to play a good series against CHI.

They looked 10x worse than the game they played against us.

Koskinen was okay, not great.

But it was a poor effort in every game.

McD and Drai managed to be scored on more than they scored.

And we complain about our players.

On 9/21/2020 at 3:42 PM, cross16 said:

Starting to get into this draft a little more and doing some work and 3 players I like the more I watch them and I think are good targets for the Flames:

Justin Barron: Not a great year due to injury, but there is some upside here and could present a pretty unique opportunity. It's not common that you can get a player with this skating ability, RS, and ability to QB a PP this late in the draft and certainly not one who carries average size with the ability to use it. he needs some work on his play in the offensive zone but all the skills are there and if you hit on that you are laughing.  

Connor Zary: the more I watch him the more I like him and think his game is really suited to where the NHL is going. He has a great ability to attack the middle of the ice with speed and then use that to both his and his linemates advantage. He's willing to use his speed to drive the net or deke a defender but he's also got great vision to use his teammates if they are in a better position to score. A center with speed like that that can work the middle of the ice at both ends of the rink is a pretty valuable asset to have. He reminds me of Bo Horvat, and if he has the same dedication to his game and can commit to making himself stronger I think he could be a guy who gets better as his career progresses. 

Jacob Perreault: Perreault would check a lot of lot of boxes for the Flames and provide the type of finishing ability they haven't had since Jarome or Cammy in his peak. Definetly a high risk/high reward selection but if you hit on Perreault, and I think his issues are correctable, you've probably got a top line forward in the Radulov mold. 

https://halifaxmooseheads.ca/article/justin-barron-out-indefinitely

Looks like Barron is out indefinitely after a medical procedure. Might be a long shot, but I wonder if he falls to our 2nd round pick. I am a fan of Barron, he is a good skater, he has a good stick, and solid gaps. In a lot of ways he reminds me of Dante Fabbro, not sure he has the same ceiling as Fabbro, but I think they are similar players 

7 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

https://halifaxmooseheads.ca/article/justin-barron-out-indefinitely

Looks like Barron is out indefinitely after a medical procedure. Might be a long shot, but I wonder if he falls to our 2nd round pick. I am a fan of Barron, he is a good skater, he has a good stick, and solid gaps. In a lot of ways he reminds me of Dante Fabbro, not sure he has the same ceiling as Fabbro, but I think they are similar players 

Depends what the medical procedure was for.

23 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Im shocked they didn't gift the slicks the first over all as usual I guess the next team that didn't need the first got it the cousin of the oilers. So another decade of the rangers going for the cup I'm sick of how the picks go to the teams that don't need it. I swear it is all setup money passing hands 

On 9/22/2020 at 8:33 AM, The_People1 said:

thachuk and  whoever for ottaws'a two first round picks.. gaudreau for pet from st.louis.. monahan and Whatever  for a top 2 rw.. sign Hall.. mangy/bennett/ dube as third line..

14 hours ago, Horsman1 said:

thachuk and  whoever for ottaws'a two first round picks.. gaudreau for pet from st.louis.. monahan and Whatever  for a top 2 rw.. sign Hall.. mangy/bennett/ dube as third line..

Not sure what you have left on the team.

You are trading a (on this team) #1C for a RW?

Who is pet?

If you mean Pietrangelo, he's a UFA.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Not sure what you have left on the team.

You are trading a (on this team) #1C for a RW?

Who is pet?

If you mean Pietrangelo, he's a UFA.

i think he means to trade Gaudreau for the rights to negotiate with Pietrangelo... ya. 

The more I look at the draft, it just seems like the type of draft where a super star player is going to emerge out of the 2nd or later rounds.

This draft and next year's draft is going to be difficult from a talent evaluation stand point, because of the lack of in person viewings, but it makes for a situation where talented guys might fall because of the lack of scouting. 

IMO these next two drafts might be the time to load up on late round picks because of the chance of hitting on a late round gem.

A week out from the draft. Here's my crack at the first 19 picks.

1. NYR- Lafreniere

2. LA- Byfield- the draft starts at 2. I really like Stutzle, but it would be really tough to pass on a 6'4" C if I was LA

3. OTT- Stutzle- they get the luxury of picking whoever falls to them at 3.

4. DET- Rossi- I've seen lots of Perfetti and Raymond here. I really like Rossi, he's very similar to another undersized C that Yzerman drafted, Point.

5. OTT- Askarov- Ottawa is loaded with high end prospects, they get their franchise goalie here, with 3 1st's and 7 picks in the top 62, this is a worthwhile gamble.

6. ANA- Drysdale- ANA is thrilled to have the best RHD land on their lap

7. NJ- Raymond- A skilled winger to complment their 1-2 punch of Hughes/Hischier for the next 5-10 seasons.

8. BUF- Sanderson- It's believed that the Sabres front office are big fans of Sanderson, although Sabre fans would want Perfetti here.

9. MIN- Perfetti- I think positionally, MIN would think about Anton Lundell, but the upside of Perfetti is too great to pass on, even if I think Perfetti is an LW at the next level. 

10. WPG- Lundell- The Jets get Lundell to fill the 2nd line C hole that they have been trying to fill for years. Holtz is probably the better prospect, but the Jets put a premium on C here.

11. NSH- Holtz- The Preds can't submit their pick fast enough, they have potentially the best goal scorer in the draft fall into their lap.

12. FLA- Jarvis- Like Rossi, lots of Brayden Point similarities. The Panthers have a lot of holes, I could see them go D here as well. 

13. CAR- Quinn- Canes have a very good team and deep prospect pool, but lack RHS, Quinn addresses that and instantly becomes one of their best prospects.

14. EDM- Holloway- Oilers select the Bragg Creek kid. He plays with an edge, which the Oilers lack, at least they lack players that can actually play as well as play with an edge.

15. TOR- Schneider- Leafs nation can rejoice, they have an RHD. I think Schneider is an NHLer, but the upside is limited. Somewhere between a Hamonic and Schenn.

16. MTL- Amirov- Lots of skill here and a defensively responsible forward. The Habs have had some success in Russia in recent years.

17. CHI- Guhle- after Sanderson, probably the 2nd most complete D in the draft.

18. NJ- Mercer- A RHS forward goes one spot before the Flames pick.. This would have Mercer falling a little and it's very possible he goes higher.

19. CGY- Zary- I just see Zary being the Flames pick. He probably doesn't have the upside of other players still on the board, like Lapierre, but he checks a lot fro boxes for the Flames. With Backlund at 32, I think the hope would be that Zary can be a #2C for the Flames in a few seasons. I've watched a lot of Zary, I think realistically he's a Nick Bonino type, 35-50pt player, not all that different than Backlund. 

I don't follow the draft as closely as i use to but I've gotten a bit of a chance over the last few weeks to watch some guys and I do hope the Flames keep their pick because there are some exciting potential at 19.  I don't think the Flames should, or honestly will, be looking at a Dman in the first round as the quality just is not there in comparison to forward. D gets pretty strong in rounds 2-3 so that makes way more sense as an approach for me. 

Seth Jarvis and maybe Asakrov (as I mentioned scouting goalies is more about off ice than on) are 2 potential dreams that I don't think will happen so I'm putting those aside. This is the short list I would like to see the Flames select from. 

Jacob Perreault -other than someone taking a fall down the board he is really the guy I want the Flames to get. I think he's the best value at 19 in the first round because his offensive skills are borderline elite and the issue I've seen are correctable.

Connor Zary: he gets called "safe" which in his case i don't think should be a negative. I think he has more upside than some are letting on if he can add some bulk and strength. 

Rodon Amirov: No idea of the risk level with him playing in Russia, I know he's under contract there, but some pretty tantalizing upside at 19. Incredibly smart player who is a dog on pucks and can play a 200ft game. A player that checks a lot of boxes for the Flames based on their previous criteria. He is an older player and while his offensive numbers are not always eye popping he has dominated some tournaments for his age group. 

Those are the 3 I'm a real fan of in that spot and I think have good chances of being here. 2 guys I like but I don't think will be there are Dawson Mercer and Anton Lundell. 

Outside of those 5 names (and the 2 dream scenarios) there are some good players but none that excite me as much as these 5 so hoping the Flames picks is one of these names. 

17 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't follow the draft as closely as i use to but I've gotten a bit of a chance over the last few weeks to watch some guys and I do hope the Flames keep their pick because there are some exciting potential at 19.  I don't think the Flames should, or honestly will, be looking at a Dman in the first round as the quality just is not there in comparison to forward. D gets pretty strong in rounds 2-3 so that makes way more sense as an approach for me. 

Seth Jarvis and maybe Asakrov (as I mentioned scouting goalies is more about off ice than on) are 2 potential dreams that I don't think will happen so I'm putting those aside. This is the short list I would like to see the Flames select from. 

Jacob Perreault -other than someone taking a fall down the board he is really the guy I want the Flames to get. I think he's the best value at 19 in the first round because his offensive skills are borderline elite and the issue I've seen are correctable.

Connor Zary: he gets called "safe" which in his case i don't think should be a negative. I think he has more upside than some are letting on if he can add some bulk and strength. 

Rodon Amirov: No idea of the risk level with him playing in Russia, I know he's under contract there, but some pretty tantalizing upside at 19. Incredibly smart player who is a dog on pucks and can play a 200ft game. A player that checks a lot of boxes for the Flames based on their previous criteria. He is an older player and while his offensive numbers are not always eye popping he has dominated some tournaments for his age group. 

Those are the 3 I'm a real fan of in that spot and I think have good chances of being here. 2 guys I like but I don't think will be there are Dawson Mercer and Anton Lundell. 

Outside of those 5 names (and the 2 dream scenarios) there are some good players but none that excite me as much as these 5 so hoping the Flames picks is one of these names. 

I like Perreault's skill and bloodlines, but he worries me a bit because of the inconsistency of effort and compete level. I also see him as a winger in the NHL, and I really value centers and defense in the 1st round.