The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thebrewcrew

2020 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Just now, The_People1 said:

Great work to gain two 3rds... But not liking the pick.  

ya, I don’t like guys that have to work on their wheels. They say it’s fixable, but not always.

we need a player who’s top 6 guaranteed not just a maybe. 

Just now, Horsman1 said:

he is a left shot though and Horvarth was rhw player they compared him too.. Burkie says he's not a great skater and needs to bulk up.. sounds like Monahan to me

I think he is faster than Monahan. Zarys top end speed is good it’s just his acceleration that needs improvement. 

BT looking very sharp and they take a good CHL guy who they likely know very well.  Did you see the celebration on that Family - love it, looks like good compete !!

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I thought we drafted this player last year.  

yup, but maybe that’s what they’re learning, the need to draft a culture. I still want to see us draft bigger.

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

I think he is faster than Monahan. Zarys top end speed is good it’s just his acceleration that needs improvement. 

Yep you can teach acceleration..  I liked the fact in those few clips he was making plays at high speed 

Just now, cross16 said:

The knock on Horvat at his draft was his skating, not an issue now.

I don't think his skating will be an issue. He almost made the WJC as a draft eligible.

3 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

ya, I don’t like guys that have to work on their wheels. They say it’s fixable, but not always.

The Flames don't really have anyone in the prospect pool that you can confidently say is a C, Zary changes that. I think he could be a replacement for Backlund down the line. The skating isn't the best, but he is a smart enough player that he can get to where he needs to be

Just now, The_People1 said:

Let's trade our new 3rds to move up to early second round... And take a RHS RW.

I would love Ozzy Weisblatt in the 2nd

Just now, Thebrewcrew said:

The Flames don't really have anyone in the prospect pool that you can confidently say is a C, Zary changes that. I think he could be a replacement for Backlund down the line. The skating isn't the best, but he is a smart enough player that he can get to where he needs to be

I guess so. They said that about Reinhart in Buffalo. And he hasn’t lived up to his draft. But I guess if he’s as good as him that’s top 6 And would be good for us..

Just now, JTech780 said:

The knock on Horvat at his draft was his skating, not an issue now.

I don't think his skating will be an issue. He almost made the WJC as a draft eligible.

honestly I’m surprised Burke harped on it so much. I agree he can improve his first few steps but turn on the tape and see how many dmen this guy either blows by or backs off at the blue line. 

his skating is not a weakness imo. 

10 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

There are very few guarantees to begin with, but the odds lower more outside of the top 10, Zary isn't a guarantee, but I don't see any others either.

When the WHL season kicks off, Zary will be heading to a very good Kamloops team, ranked 6th in the nation. I also think there's a great chance at him wearing the "C" for the Blazers, as captain Zane Franklin was an overage last season.

Happy with Zary with I really like Perrault and would have taken him if it were me. Will enjoy following them. 

but I do really like Zary. Hard to pass up a center with his upside 

13 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Let's trade our new 3rds to move up to early second round... And take a RHS RW.

Let's give Edmonton's back to them for Puulaarvi 

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Happy with Zary with I really like Perrault and would have taken him if it were me. Will enjoy following them. 

for me, reading you, having the two seemingly close, the need is the RWer. We need C’s too, but RW seems very needed and we continue to deviate from the position. But not deviating from a plan. 

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Really like that they are targeting skill and competitiveness with their picks. Pelletier and Zary could be playing on the same line at the WJC.