The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thebrewcrew

2020 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

for me, reading you, having the two seemingly close, the need is the RWer. We need C’s too, but RW seems very needed and we continue to deviate from the position. But not deviating from a plan. 

I apologize from deviating from the draft. But I have been a proponent of moving JH to the right side for awhile (Panarin look alike). That would help solve a lot of problems. I also want a line of Tkachuk -Bennett - Gaudreau, but that’s a conversation for another day.

I’m happy with Zary, not my first choice, but we’ll done Flames

8 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

for me, reading you, having the two seemingly close, the need is the RWer. We need C’s too, but RW seems very needed and we continue to deviate from the position. But not deviating from a plan. 

At the same time center is more valuable than RW. So if I players are tied center should trump RW. 

I think Perrault has a little more upside if he hits that’s why I liked him more but it was close. Wasn’t really about position. 

8 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Wingers are the easiest position to find. Handedness is really overrated for wingers as well. Zary was easily the best player at 24.

6 minutes ago, pikey7883 said:

I apologize from deviating from the draft. But I have been a proponent of moving JH to the right side for awhile (Panarin look alike). That would help solve a lot of problems. I also want a line of Tkachuk -Bennett - Gaudreau, but that’s a conversation for another day.

I’m happy with Zary, not my first choice, but we’ll done Flames

Typically if you really want a winger ..you can go find one..

Centers, if they are any good ..teams just don't give them up. So if you can draft a quality center you gotta do it

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

At the same time center is more valuable than RW. So if I players are tied center should trump RW. 

I think Perrault has a little more upside if he hits that’s why I liked him more but it was close. Wasn’t really about position. 

I get that, but at the same time for Calgary it seems like RW and RD is becoming more dire and is the most difficult position for them To fill other than in Goal. 

Very torn right now.

I assume they were fine with either Zary or Barron, thus being confident to make those 2 trades down.

To snag two 3rd rounders and keep your first rounder is admittedly impressive.

In terms of who wins this though, statistics are in favour of the Rangers coming out on top with Schneider.

Yesterday I argued that it wasn't necessary to target a RHS, unless upgrading to get one.    But I never really considered downgrading.   

Something to sleep on for sure

4 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Centers, if they are any good ..teams just don't give them up. So if you can draft a quality center you gotta do it

it hasn’t really been that way and the Flames tend to overpay for it. Hamonic, Hamilton and Lindholm... and we still haven’t filled those roles really. Hamonic sucked 2/3 years. Lindholm was a good find but I still feel an overpay. 

we are having a very hard time trading for a RW and overpay for RD.

It’s ok. If Petro won’t come here let’s just pickup Toffoli with Hall, and re-sign Brodie (apparently Brodie has expressed he’d like to re-sign here)

I hope he turns out! Welcome to the Flames. At least this doesn’t wreak too much of a Jankowski situation. It’s not jankowski’s fault but the Flames really reached. This doesn’t smell of that kind of reach but if the Flames only get an average NHLer and there are super stars just prior to their pick... 

19 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Centers are more "important" than wingers but it's not as easy to find a RHS RW... They don't just grow on trees.  Either you draft them yourself or you overpay for one like Josh Anderson and Kasperi Kapanen.

24 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

To snag two 3rd rounders and keep your first rounder is admittedly impressive.

Very impressive.

Easily could've traded from 19 to 24 and gained only the 80th... But to have snuck in that 22 and 78 as well... Very well played. 

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Very impressive.

Easily could've traded from 19 to 24 and gained only the 80th... But to have snuck in that 22 and 78 as well... Very well played. 

Very well played IF they've done their homework on Zary, and/or they know of some sleepers in the 3rd round.

I don't have the answer to that.   

Put it this way, if they had given up a 2nd and a 3rd and something to land Askarov, I'd say they were brilliant.   Them being the ones that downgraded, it's tough.   But as downgrades go, full marks.

I think I need to see their 3rd round picks to weigh in.   Zary on his own, feels a bit like a political preference for WHL kids, in which case I don't like the odds.  But i could be wrong.  Pretty fresh in my mind.

Should be lots of good options available at 50 as well. Looking forward to seeing how tomorrow plays out! Round 2 is typically where things get crazy as teams lists vary greatly.

Of the names left I like:

Helge Grans

William Wallinder

Marat Khusnutdinov

Lukas Cormier

Jeremie Poirier

They will probably be gone. The guy I like at 50 is Luke Evangelista.