Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thebrewcrew

2020 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

 

Centers are more "important" than wingers but it's not as easy to find a RHS RW... They don't just grow on trees.  Either you draft them yourself or you overpay for one like Josh Anderson and Kasperi Kapanen.

I'm not sure how you sleep at nights worried about our lack of RH shots?

Every second post for as long as I can remember you are going on and on about it.

The greatest offensive line in the history of hockey (KLM line) had 2 LH wingers.

Let it go man, let it go. Lefties are dominant, period.

--------------

Regarding the first round tonight, BT brought some excitement to the evening, appeared to get his guy, plus two 3rd's. 

Gotta like it!

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

I'm not sure how you sleep at nights worried about our lack of RH shots?

Every second post for as long as I can remember you are going on and on about it.

The greatest offensive line in the history of hockey (KLM line) had 2 LH wingers.

Let it go man, let it go. Lefties are dominant, period.

--------------

Regarding the first round tonight, BT brought some excitement to the evening, appeared to get his guy, plus two 3rd's. 

Gotta like it!

 

I don't sleep at night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

 

I don't sleep at night.

LOL, I don't sleep that good any more either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

 

Very well played IF they've done their homework on Zary, and/or they know of some sleepers in the 3rd round.

 

I don't have the answer to that.   

 

Put it this way, if they had given up a 2nd and a 3rd and something to land Askarov, I'd say they were brilliant.   Them being the ones that downgraded, it's tough.   But as downgrades go, full marks.

 

I think I need to see their 3rd round picks to weigh in.   Zary on his own, feels a bit like a political preference for WHL kids, in which case I don't like the odds.  But i could be wrong.  Pretty fresh in my mind.

 

Looking at the two trades in isolation I think they were good moves even if they totally blow Zary and the two 3rd round picks.  They were simply great moves themselves.

 

I guess Mercer was one of the last guys left on their list and when he was gone, they traded down.  I'm wondering if we should've trade up 1 spot and gave up our 3rd.  I'm sure we'd have Mercer right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn’t surprise me if Treliving uses 1 or even both of those 3rds to move up. 
 

some intriguing players and in particular intriguing dmen left on the board. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

 

Centers are more "important" than wingers but it's not as easy to find a RHS RW... They don't just grow on trees.  Either you draft them yourself or you overpay for one like Josh Anderson and Kasperi Kapanen.

 

I was arguing that we don't have to draft a RHS.    Careful for what you wish for I guess lol.    I don't mind that they drafted a LHS.   I do....have concerns ...that they downgraded to do it, and then still picked him when there were some pretty great RHSs to choose from.  But yes by Button's ranking that was BPA.

 

Also that they passed on RHS Schneider......

 

it's tough.    tough one.    Not a strong enough draft to have strong feelings yet but I share your RHS remorse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

 

Looking at the two trades in isolation I think they were good moves even if they totally blow Zary and the two 3rd round picks.  They were simply great moves themselves.

 

I guess Mercer was one of the last guys left on their list and when he was gone, they traded down.  I'm wondering if we should've trade up 1 spot and have up our 3rd.  I'm sure we'd have Mercer right now.


Flames didn’t have a 3rd until they made those moves. Moving up was not likely an option for them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jjgallow said:

 

I was arguing that we don't have to draft a RHS.    Careful for what you wish for I guess lol.    I don't mind that they drafted a LHS.   I do....have concerns ...that they downgraded to do it, and then still picked him when there were some pretty great RHSs to choose from.  But yes by Button's ranking that was BPA.

 

Also that they passed on RHS Schneider......

 

it's tough.    tough one.    Not a strong enough draft to have strong feelings yet but I share your RHS remorse.

 

I guess we'll just have to go plan B.  Draft all the best LHS and then overpay for a RHS... Like Gaudreau + Monahan for Laine... Hoping we drafted enough LHS to emerge to fill Gaudreau and Monahan's void.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cross16 said:


Flames didn’t have a 3rd until they made those moves. Moving up was not likely an option for them. 

 

That's too bad.  The drop off from Mercer was big.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

 

That's too bad.  The drop off from Mercer was big.

only if you are concerned with how one holds his stick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The_People1 said:

 

That's too bad.  The drop off from Mercer was big.


I don’t think it was personally. Once Jarvis went I think it moved into the the next tier and Mercer and Zary where in the same tier for me, and most people. Actually most places have Zary ahead of Mercer. 
 

if you were hell bent on getting a RS there was a small drop there for some but I’d argue Perrault is right there with Mercer myself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sak22 said:

Damn I really wanted to buy a retro white Mukhamadullin jersey

This is the one that may turn around and bite us. To think we could of had the Mukster, instead of Zary and 2 thirds.:ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Fins&FIre15 said:

Get this kid in the 3rd round *fingers crossed*

Looks like a good reliable insider tip from across the pond.:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A question for all of you.

The Flames had to send their 3rd to CHI in the Gus trade.

I mean if EDM gives us thier pick, added to the ones we got, is it still the CGY that goes to CHI or does the NY one go?

I think we were tied with them, but they were ahead of us in the standings?

 

Oh well, I am at least happy we didn;t take a LHS D-man or some reach.

Zary was my choice with what was remaining.

I thought we might get him with 19th, so this is gravy.

 

Have to admit I was shaking when they announced the fist trade.

Then the 2nd trade.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cross16 said:

Guy they wanted at 19 anyway and you get 2 3rds on top of it. Some damn fine work there. 
 

I really like Zary. Sure he isn’t a LS but center is a major need for this club long term and I think Zary has top 6 upside. He reminds me of Bo Horvat if he can bulk up. 

he is a left shot though and Horvarth was the player they compared him too.. Burkie says he's not a great skater and needs to bulk up.. sounds like Monahan to me

I'm not the  biggest Treliving booster around as I often question how this team is built and the make-up over-all of our management structure.. but.. That first round last night was a touch of brilliance in maneuvering and acquisition

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I think they were good moves to trade down IF Mercer was the guy you had targeted And was gone and Zary was the next best...but I do feel they dropped the ball on Schneider NYR was super smart trading up...that’s gonna bite Cgy in a few years passing on a RS RD with size and can skate...

 

as for Zary and the moves down, in and of themselves are not bad I’m just not a fan of passing on Schneider.

 

the only other thing I can think of is BT May use those 3rds for trade moves before or during the next few rounds, in which case that makes lots of sense...he may be also doing a favour for NYR and maybe even Was to trade for a few guys aka NYR signs and trades Strome? Or Was trades Holtby? Or something like that...we know there have been discussions with theses teams and Holtby has been linked as BT’s #2 goalie choice...so I wouldn’t be too surprised if we see a trade or something coming between Cgy and one or both of NYR and Was 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not too worried about the Flames passing on Schneider. The upside just isn’t that high. If he maximizes his potential, you are looking at a Hamonic. If not, probably a Michael Stone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MP5029 said:

Well I think they were good moves to trade down IF Mercer was the guy you had targeted And was gone and Zary was the next best...but I do feel they dropped the ball on Schneider NYR was super smart trading up...that’s gonna bite Cgy in a few years passing on a RS RD with size and can skate...

 

as for Zary and the moves down, in and of themselves are not bad I’m just not a fan of passing on Schneider.

 

the only other thing I can think of is BT May use those 3rds for trade moves before or during the next few rounds, in which case that makes lots of sense...he may be also doing a favour for NYR and maybe even Was to trade for a few guys aka NYR signs and trades Strome? Or Was trades Holtby? Or something like that...we know there have been discussions with theses teams and Holtby has been linked as BT’s #2 goalie choice...so I wouldn’t be too surprised if we see a trade or something coming between Cgy and one or both of NYR and Was 

 

Lundquist is going to WAS.  They are not going to sign and trade Holtby; he will sign wherever.  Probably as the 2nd option for teams not getting Markstrom.

Why would we deal with NYR for Strome?

They want to sign him, that's their decision.

Not spending a single asset for that scenario.

 

As far as signing a D this draft, we need help in other places.

No real C's coming up through the ranks.

The RHS would have been nice to have, but we have been getting free players through NCAA.

   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Horsman1 said:

he is a left shot though and Horvarth was the player they compared him too.. Burkie says he's not a great skater and needs to bulk up.. sounds like Monahan to me

I'm not the  biggest Treliving booster around as I often question how this team is built and the make-up over-all of our management structure.. but.. That first round last night was a touch of brilliance in maneuvering and acquisition


 

well having 2 Monahans at Ctr wouldn’t be a horrible problem, added to that, he would be a replacement for him...And seems they  are liking for Bennet to be the Backlund replacement? All be it Zary is probably 2-3 years out but Ctr would look pretty good I think:

 

monahan

Zary/Bennett

Zary/Bennet 

 

that’s not a bad depth for a few years anyhow, and as long as Zary hits his potential I could see that being pretty solid 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, travel_dude said:

A question for all of you.

The Flames had to send their 3rd to CHI in the Gus trade.

I mean if EDM gives us thier pick, added to the ones we got, is it still the CGY that goes to CHI or does the NY one go?

I think we were tied with them, but they were ahead of us in the standings?

 

Oh well, I am at least happy we didn;t take a LHS D-man or some reach.

Zary was my choice with what was remaining.

I thought we might get him with 19th, so this is gravy.

 

Have to admit I was shaking when they announced the fist trade.

Then the 2nd trade.

 

 


the condition only refers to Calgary’s pick or Edmonton’s pick. The picks acquired yesterday are not part of the conditions so won’t be involved. 
If the oilers send the flames their pick, which is not expected, it goes to CHI and if not then the Flames 3rd rounder goes and they’ll have the 2 picks left. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

Lundquist is going to WAS.  They are not going to sign and trade Holtby; he will sign wherever.  Probably as the 2nd option for teams not getting Markstrom.

Why would we deal with NYR for Strome?

They want to sign him, that's their decision.

Not spending a single asset for that scenario.

 

As far as signing a D this draft, we need help in other places.

No real C's coming up through the ranks.

The RHS would have been nice to have, but we have been getting free players through NCAA.

   


well to start NYR want to sign Storm but have publicly stated they probably can’t afford to...so that’s why NYR 

 

as for holtby, it’s been reported he is BT’s second choice, which we’ll know he’s probably not gonna land Markstrom he’s gonna be given a far better offer, so gut tells me BT is positioning for a sign and trade deal as a backup plan...I’m not saying he will but he’s positioning for it as a backup plan.

 

on the Strome note it could be he’s gonna be given permission to talk to Strome in exchange for the draft trade...I think he realized after Mlt land Anderson that 3rds are keys to this years deals, hence he seen an opportunity to glean a favour from a few teams he’s looking at for trades and Also grabbed up a few trade chip in 3rd rounders just in case...smart really he’s keeping a bunch of options open...none may pan out or he may choose to not make use of them but I’m betting theses moves open up some backup options 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting look at 2 players here.

 

Player 1

Draft year minus 1- 0.38 Goals/Game 0.93 Points/game

Draft year- 0.5 Goals/game 1.24 point/game. 9 Points in 7 games a the Under 18s. 

 

Player 2

Draft year minus 1- 0.38 Goals/game 1.06 Point/game. 7 points in 7 games at under 18s.

Draft year- 0.67 Goals/game 1.50 Points/game. 

 

One of those players was taken in the top 10 of the draft and is frequently put into trade proposals for the Flames best players and the other is Connor Zary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...