The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thebrewcrew

2020 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I’m not too worried about the Flames passing on Schneider. The upside just isn’t that high. If he maximizes his potential, you are looking at a Hamonic. If not, probably a Michael Stone.

we still paid more than a first rounder for Hamonic. So I don’t get the whole upside arguments. Teams need 2nd line D. I can’t see Zary going any higher than 3rd liner. My bet is he tops out as a Bonino kinda guy. I’d be happy if he’s a 2nd liner. But hey, we might have Benny as a good 2nd line C.

50 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Lundquist is going to WAS.  They are not going to sign and trade Holtby; he will sign wherever.  Probably as the 2nd option for teams not getting Markstrom.

Why would we deal with NYR for Strome?

They want to sign him, that's their decision.

Not spending a single asset for that scenario.

As far as signing a D this draft, we need help in other places.

No real C's coming up through the ranks.

The RHS would have been nice to have, but we have been getting free players through NCAA.

I feel NCAA is a very poor way to find players. How often has it worked out? I think Hathaway for us? It’s a good way to fill the AHL team to give the prospects some competition. 

Conroy saying today he thinks they could look to move up depending on how the first few picks go. They have targets at 50 they like but the ammo the gained last night gives them the option. 

One guy I wouldn't mind if they took today is Nico Daws. Not sure what range he will be in, but he would be a nice add to the goalie depth.

https://youtu.be/zur3-olgl_4?list=PLOgBIUfkk2BNZQvK6VG-Mc86b9ZxepanA

Daemon Hunt, LHS Defencemen might be a good kid to look at with one of our third rounders.  Projected to land around 70th, good skater, good shot, smart hockey player.  Played 3rd pair for MJ Warriors as a 16 year old and moved to the top line this year.  Freak injury (cut to the arm) had him out for three months, than shortly after his return the season ended for COVID.  Looked really good on a rebuilding MJ squad in the small sample size we seen.

Another LH Defence, but worth a look.

25 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Conroy saying today he thinks they could look to move up depending on how the first few picks go. They have targets at 50 they like but the ammo the gained last night gives them the option. 

That would be amazing.  There's still good players left but gotta get into the top 10 of the second round to get one.

Just now, The_People1 said:

That would be amazing.  There's still good players left but gotta get into the top 10 of the second round to get one.

I was kinda hoping for Wallinder... 

Just now, cross16 said:

Do not understand that trade for the Wild at all....

I agree, but I am a big Kunin fan.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493bio1udchijsc2elqbxw

all these RWers going, dropping out of the draft for the Flames.

If that is the cost then it makes sense why the Flames didn't move up. I liked the idea of moving up if they could use only 1 of their 3rd rounders but probably would have cost them 2 picks. Keep your picks at that point. 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I feel NCAA is a very poor way to find players. How often has it worked out? I think Hathaway for us? It’s a good way to fill the AHL team to give the prospects some competition. 

Look at both Poolman and Mackey.

Jury is out, but some of the available players may not pan out any better.

At least by looking at NCAA, you have a sense of what that player is becoming.

No, it's not the only way, nor should it be.

Just saying that a lot of player get drafted and never sign contracts.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

One guy I wouldn't mind if they took today is Nico Daws. Not sure what range he will be in, but he would be a nice add to the goalie depth.

That would be good.   I also wouldn't mind Drew Commesso, looks promising and he's going to NCAA which means he wouldn't be subjected to our "development" system

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Look at both Poolman and Mackey.

Jury is out, but some of the available players may not pan out any better.

At least by looking at NCAA, you have a sense of what that player is becoming.

No, it's not the only way, nor should it be.

Just saying that a lot of player get drafted and never sign contracts.

I hope the word on Mackey is accurate and he can play. I like that they’re going after the college FAs. It’s just bad we haven’t drafted D since Valamaki. That’s really all I am getting at.

Just now, robrob74 said:

So what will the Flames do, they’re up next! 

anyone with a quick wish list?

At this point I want Mysak