The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thebrewcrew

2020 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

19 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

That would be good.   I also wouldn't mind Drew Commesso, looks promising and he's going to NCAA which means he wouldn't be subjected to our "development" system

gone christmas GIF

yeesh  

Soo much for the Flames moving up.   Let's see them work some kind of magic here with their pick

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I like Jan Mysak or Matin chromiak here.

Nybeck if you want to swing for the fences. 

all that's left from here is Nybeck....  I would swing.  I would make that swing.   Given the placement we have.

Really really like this pick, Kuznetsov can play. Not many 17 year old defensemen can play a regular shift in the NCAA.

Not going to be a big scoring defenseman but he's got a ton of raw potential and is a bit of a late bloomer with a sharp development curve. 

I get the pick but I don't like it. 

Feels like a low ceiling player and project who got overrated based on his size. This is a bit of a reach IMO but at the same time plying in the NCAA at his age isn't common.

8 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Any intel on Flames 2nd round pick? I can’t recall what if any is known about him?  

Big, strong, hard hitting defenseman. One of the better defensive players in the draft. Skating speed is slow but mobility is pretty good, has surprisingly good poise with the puck.

If he misses you wasted the pick, if he hits you might have lucked into a Colton Parayko type player.  I'm not usually a proponent of defense first guys if I don't think they have the skill or development curve, Kuz has enough of both where I can actually see him grow into an NHL role in 3 years.

It can't be overstated how hard it is to be a rookie defenseman in the NCAA, doubly so for U18 players. 

4 minutes ago, Crzydrvr said:

Big, strong, hard hitting defenseman. One of the best defensive players in the draft. Skating speed is slow but mobility is pretty good, has surprisingly good poise with the puck.

If he misses you wasted the pick, if he hits you might have lucked into a Colton Parayko type player.  

It's a miss for me.    I've bolded why above.   That's dead in the water in the new NHL.  Full stop end of story.

"He can play" is one of the most unsuccessful scouting methods ever.  Especially when the kid's just moved up because he's overgrown and they don't see a reason for him to develop his offense in the league he's in.

Not happy, feel that the pick was completely wasted.    I guess we can always hope that in the future the NHL will favour slower skaters.

6 minutes ago, Crzydrvr said:

Really really like this pick, Kuznetsov can play. Not many 17 year old defensemen can play a regular shift in the NCAA.

Not going to be a big scoring defenseman but he's got a ton of raw potential and is a bit of a late bloomer with a sharp development curve. 

Why the heck do we pick NCAA I hate never knowing if they will play for us such a dumb pick but after passing on Hendrix Lapierre I guess im not surprised at what this team does any more. Another waisted pick might as well of just traded for a bag of pucks I would like to say maybe next yr but as long as BT is sailing this boat we will never see any progress pretty soon all teams will surpass us. We picked Zary instead of Lapierre never understand that now NCAA players who can just walk away from us don't get it. If he becomes another Fox type player as far as his progression and becomes a sought after player we stand a very good chance of him walking away. So now we have a first rounder who will not see the NHL and a second who will go else where great work BT

2 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

It's a miss for me.    I've bolded why above.   That's dead in the water in the new NHL.  Full stop end of story.

"He can play" is one of the most unsuccessful scouting methods ever.  Especially when the kid's just moved up because he's overgrown and they don't see a reason for him to develop his offense in the league he's in.

Not happy, feel that the pick was completely wasted.    I guess we can always hope that in the future the NHL will favour slower skaters.

Speed is overrated, mobility is more important than straight line speed, especially for a defenseman. Kuznetsov isn't your stereotypical coke machine.

He might still bust, not saying he won't, because every prospect has a chance to bust. But I honestly think he has more hockey sense than some of the high scoring QMJHL D guys for example and that means more to me than anything else.

I'm usually one who prefers to chase skill at drafts, but the pick is what it is. Don't hate it, because you need size and grit to win.

Big bummer that Mercer and Mysak were taken right before us though =/

5 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

While I generally agree with you Burke has been saying teams are not really worried about strength and skating as they see those as areas the team can always improve...not sure how true that is but if true the guy could be a good pick bottom pair of course 

1 minute ago, zima said:

Why the heck do we pick NCAA I hate never knowing if they will play for us such a dumb pick but after passing on Hendrix Lapierre I guess im not surprised at what this team does any more. Another waisted pick might as well of just traded for a bag of pucks I would like to say maybe next yr but as long as BT is sailing this boat we will never see any progress pretty soon all teams will surpass us. We picked Zary instead of Lapierre never understand that now NCAA players who can just walk away from us don't get it. If he becomes another Fox type player as far as his progression and becomes a sought after player we stand a very good chance of him walking away. So now we have a first rounder who will not see the NHL and a second who will go else where great work BT

Because Kuznetsov has already played a year of college hockey, his eligibility runs out a year before the Flames' 4 year window in his signing rights does. So he'll either have to miss a season in the pros, ask for a trade or sign with the Flames either way.

Fox was threatening to just leave, playing out his 4 years. So the Flames didn't have much leverage there.

9 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

both players knocks on them are their wheels. 

Apparently they can work on it but, I feel like they gotta actually do it for it to improve. That’s one extra thing to work on as well.