The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Thebrewcrew

2020 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Just now, Crzydrvr said:

Because Kuznetsov has already played a year of college hockey, his eligibility runs out a year before the Flames' 4 year window in his signing rights does. So he'll either have to miss a season in the pros, ask for a trade or sign with the Flames either way.

Fox was threatening to just leave, playing out his 4 years. So the Flames didn't have much leverage there.

Just to add this to, this is not an NCAA rule either. European players can do the same thing and if they were determined enough so could a major junior player. If a player is determined to use their leverage they will find a way. 

The idea that people still connect the NCAA with some loophole is just silly. 

Say what you will about his skill or whatever, but the fact that this kid hasn't lived at home since 10 and came over to play in he NCAA at 17 says a lot about his character. Can see why you would bet on him

I always laugh too because we all want big players with puck skills and perfect skating. Those guys go first overall. So every year we bust the scouts' balls because they went too small (prioritizing skill and speed) or are just drafting for size and toughness (prioritizing compete, defense or development upside).

There's just never any winning for the scouting department, I'll just stick to hobby scouting where I can't get yelled at for liking a guy! 😂

• Like 2

Not pointing anyone out here, but it's a little silly to get too worked up over these picks. I get that we all have our preferred players, but most of us haven't watched majority of these players play, we are going off their eliteprospects page or a couple of highlight videos on YouTube. Basically we all have really uneducated guesses at these players.

The Flames scouting staff has earned the benefit of the doubt at this point.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Say what you will about his skill or whatever, but the fact that this kid hasn't lived at home since 10 and came over to play in he NCAA at 17 says a lot about his character. Can see why you would bet on him

Sadly playing for the Flames can help change that last fact :ph34r:

Just now, Crzydrvr said:

I always laugh too because we all want big players with puck skills and perfect skating. Those guys go first overall. So every year we bust the scouts' balls because they went too small (prioritizing skill and speed) or are just drafting for size and toughness (prioritizing compete, defense or upside).

There's just never any winning for the scouting department, I'll just stick to hobby scouting where I can't get yelled at for liking a guy! 😂

but you see guys going around them and it feels like a miss. I get maybe you don’t need as much speed on the backend, but I feel the lack of speed in the first two picks, and a team that only has middling speed so far, is a poor strategy in a fast NHL.

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Not pointing anyone out here, but it's a little silly to get too worked up over these picks. I get that we all have our preferred players, but most of us haven't watched majority of these players play, we are going off their eliteprospects page or a couple of highlight videos on YouTube. Basically we all have really uneducated guesses at these players.

The Flames scouting staff has earned the benefit of the doubt at this point.

I get it, but we had many chances to draft players that fit the bill and left talent on the board in both picks. 

they clearly had their guys, but I can see us in a few years again having to trade a first and some late picks to make up for why we miss out on. It’s the trend that we are more upset about. We have about 5 years to find out just how this draft turns out.

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

but you see guys going around them and it feels like a miss. I get maybe you don’t need as much speed on the backend, but I feel the lack of speed in the first two picks, and a team that only has middling speed so far, is a poor strategy in a fast NHL.

This make no sense...

did you not watch the drat coverage? Many of the players picked in the late teens twenties they commented that their skating needs work, it's a really common critique when you get outside the top 10. If you don't need your skating worked on, then either ceiling was lower and they were more of a character guy.

So either you want the lower ceiling role player, or you take the guy with skill who has something to work on which is no different than the other prospects taken in his range. 

a lot of unrealistic expectations on drafting going on here lately. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

You don't have to be fast to play a fast game. 3 of the last 4 Stanley Cup finalists are teams I would say are just average speedster.

I don't see Zary being that slow either, and Kuznetsov while slow is not easy to beat because he's a pretty good backwards skater and has the wingspan to cover a lot of ground. Do they need work, absolutely, but most guys do and at 17 your skating improvement will come down to will and organization competence. Clearly the Flames feel they can hedge their bets because their development guys can improve skating, so taking guys with work ethic (so they put in the work) and hockey IQ (that can't be taught) is not a bad play to make when you don't have any guaranteed superstar picks. 

Just now, phoenix66 said:

So wonder what the big Knock on Poirer is ??

He's dumb as bricks. Can't play defense to save his life 

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

so why do so may have him rated in the top 30 ?

Elite offensive skills. I have heard talk that he may have to move to forward to make the NHL.

• Like 1

At this point in the draft i'm fine rolling the dice but no question Porier is a very high risk pick. I'm fine with the gamble, but at the same time makes sense why teams are passing.

Real boom or bust with almost no leeway in between. 

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

so why do so may have him rated in the top 30 ?

I dunno but he's not on my board. Gotta remember that even with NHL rankings some teams could have a consensus 1st rounder off their list entirely (like Lapierre).

Poirier had the flash but outside of the power play he had no substance when i watched him play. So I'm not enthused because I think his ceiling because of his lack of smarts is an AHL guy. No NHL coach would give him the time of day without major changes to his game. 

It looks like a draft where a lot of Right Shots have gone in the first few rounds. Conroy teased that A RS might be what they’d be after in the draft but so far nothing. 

I know you don’t draft for handedness, but you also don’t get them if you don’t draft them. We are having the hardest time filling those needs. 

14 minutes ago, Crzydrvr said:

You don't have to be fast to play a fast game. 3 of the last 4 Stanley Cup finalists are teams I would say are just average speedster.

I don't see Zary being that slow either, and Kuznetsov while slow is not easy to beat because he's a pretty good backwards skater and has the wingspan to cover a lot of ground. Do they need work, absolutely, but most guys do and at 17 your skating improvement will come down to will and organization competence. Clearly the Flames feel they can hedge their bets because their development guys can improve skating, so taking guys with work ethic (so they put in the work) and hockey IQ (that can't be taught) is not a bad play to make when you don't have any guaranteed superstar picks. 

I do like BT's draft trend of players with a strong work ethic.

Was Kuznetsov a true second round projection? Maybe they didn’t see him there at 72. You’re all right, I know nothing about these players and I am just going off of needs, because we know how hard it is. And Kuznetsov could be a reach at that spot.

28 minutes ago, Crzydrvr said:

I always laugh too because we all want big players with puck skills and perfect skating. Those guys go first overall. So every year we bust the scouts' balls because they went too small (prioritizing skill and speed) or are just drafting for size and toughness (prioritizing compete, defense or development upside).

they are still there though, they're just not 6'4.       The 6'4 skilled guys are gone in the first round,yes.

But to bet that a 6'4 non-skilled guy will become skilled, is a Much bigger gamble than betting a 5'11 skilled guy will translate it to the NHL.

It's like Darryl Sutter got his hands in there somehow