The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thebrewcrew

2020 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

High risk but high reward makes great sense to me in the 3rd round. Feels like for found money now that they got this pick for basically free. 

nice work again at the draft 

5 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

This one I'm fine with.  

Needs work on his defensive game, sure.   As does everyone else even in the first round.   That's a skill which can be learned later in development successfully.

So far for me, 

Zary .. meh

Kuznetsov ..  hard no.  

Poirier  .  Yes.   First pick I fully agree with so far.   But, full-on weird that they seem to be almost targetting LHS.

Not that we need more left wingers in the system, but I wonder if our latest pick wouldn't be better suited for the wing in the NHL?  Everything I read about him points to speed, hands, shot, and a high IQ in the OFFENSIVE zone, but defensive gaffes due to thinking offense first.  Maybe we shouldn't fight it and just let him be a winger?

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Nybeck, Ovechnikov, Daws

they’re not in line with your strategy.

another D

eho is Jake Boltmann?

sounds like a project with Skill-- his own college had this write up 

Jake Boltmann—Defenseman

Jake Boltmann is a defenseman from Edina who is right on the cusp of whether or not he will be drafted on Wednesday. Boltmann split time between Lincoln of the USHL and Edina last season and is expected to do the same in his senior season in 2020-21. Boltmann is ranked the #113th North American skater in the Central Scouting ratings, but his size at just 6’0 and 180 pounds leaves a bit to be desired. Boltman may need to be seen more at the junior level before potentially being drafted a year from now.

We will recap where the potential Gophers are headed later this week.

4 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

so a guy who was doubtful to even be drafted this year we take in the 3rd.. seems legit 

we have Feaster drafting this year?

I feel like this draft strategy really shows the flames lack of International (European) knowledge. They’ve drafted 3 D that will have a hard time making the NHL. Other teams are drafting international.

This is odd because we tend to go skill in these rounds. they’ve strayed fro what has worked the last few years.

After the 2nd round consensus goes out the window. This is where the scouts step up and push for their guys.

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

I think Zion Nybeck is still on the board. I also really like Dmitri Ovchinnikov.

I had Nybeck around 40 I think. Wonder what’s turning everyone away?